Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I ordered host cable and now found that it was from a guy in HongKong. Its been a week and I am still waiting for the host cable. I already have adapter and I looked at all electronic stores(Microcenter, Radioshack, Frys, etc) to find host cable but couldnt. How fast you guys got the cable and where you bought it?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    How fast you guys got the cable and where you bought it?
    10-12 days roughly...

Stuff from HK that is shipped "for free" take awhile

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    10-12 days roughly...

Stuff from HK that is shipped "for free" take awhile
    i am surprised that big store like Frys dont have it. Free option is good but I wish I had an option for faster delivery. Cant stand Palm headset and dont want to waste money just to get Treo Pro.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I got the one Mal referred to (not the Hong Kong one) and all is working great. It sounds like you just got a faulty sound card.
    So... I lied... When plugging the host cable into my Palm splitter, the phone ceases to charge... When I unplug the host cable, the phone begins charging once more....

Is this normal??
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  5.    #45  
    So... I lied... When plugging the host cable into my Palm splitter, the phone ceases to charge... When I unplug the host cable, the phone begins charging once more....

Is this normal??
    Well, USB host draws power and I imagine there are limits on how much can be drawn and charged at the same time.

See, what you need now is a USB to microUSB adapter, so you can plug the host cable in first then the splitter

Actually, one thing I meant to test (but I misplaced it) was plugging in a regular USB splitter/port replicator into the host cable--then have a USB cable to charge that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, USB host draws power and I imagine there are limits on how much can be drawn and charged at the same time.

See, what you need now is a USB to microUSB adapter, so you can plug the host cable in first then the splitter

Actually, one thing I meant to test (but I misplaced it) was plugging in a regular USB splitter/port replicator into the host cable--then have a USB cable to charge that way.
    Well... If one cannot charge the phone while using the host cable and an audio adapter, then this is NOT a wired solution for playing audio in the car... One needs to be able to keep the phone charged... That's the reason the splitter was introduced, yes?

Has anyone else had this result? I'd like to know if it is just me...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Well... If one cannot charge the phone while using the host cable and an audio adapter, then this is NOT a wired solution for playing audio in the car... One needs to be able to keep the phone charged... That's the reason the splitter was introduced, yes?

I just ordered the cable and adapter today, keep us updated on the splitter issue. I was on the palm website about to order the splitter from them but i am going to hold off untill someone can confirm a way to use the adapters and charge the unit.
    Great thread by the way. Thanks a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrigg View Post
    I just ordered the cable and adapter today, keep us updated on the splitter issue. I was on the palm website about to order the splitter from them but i am going to hold off untill someone can confirm a way to use the adapters and charge the unit.
    Great thread by the way. Thanks a bunch.
    From whom did you order the cable? The Syba adapter is once again in stock.

I tried it in my car and got the same results. Boy... I was really hoping.
    What I'm going to try next is to see if the battery drains while using it this way or does the car charges take its place.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbswat View Post
    I tried it in my car and got the same results. Boy... I was really hoping.
    What I'm going to try next is to see if the battery drains while using it this way or does the car charges take its place.
    So, the latest test was to charge while plugged into the splitter and do other things... I ran TomTom (and GPS) and was actually losing battery power.

So the short of it is that the splitter does not seem to pass through all of the electricity, even when nothing else is plugged in...

What a PoS...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

micro usb just plain sucks. mini usb should be made the standard, every one has tons of mini accessories from other phones, cameras, mp3 players etc.

the connector on my 800w is getting loose, does not always make connection any more.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    MiniUSB is the standard within any company that chooses not to use MicroUSB .

RIM is the big dog, everybody wants some of their market, they use MiniUSB. If a company wants to get some of RIM's market, it makes sense to ensure the transition is made easier. By having a device that supports some of those old RIM accessories.

But there has been yet another effort (dated April 22, 2009) to proclaim MicroUSB as the "standard". Bottom line, the market will ultimately decide. For me, anything using MicroUSB has one strike against it.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregzi View Post
    From whom did you order the cable? The Syba adapter is once again in stock.
    I ordered the cables from the original posting. Not the cheap china ones that a couple complained about either.
    I ordered mine last week and was notified both have shipped, no mention of back order. Hoping to get them both this week.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    micro usb just plain sucks. mini usb should be made the standard, every one has tons of mini accessories from other phones, cameras, mp3 players etc.

the connector on my 800w is getting loose, does not always make connection any more.
    HAHAH how do you think some accessory companies stay in business, they wait for a change in the market and make a **** load of money on new accessory sales. Now that "micro usb" is the new standard, replacing usb, i am sure it will last 3-5 years then a new standard will replace it. How long did mini usb last? Sure its still on devices, but seems like its being phased out.
    HAHAH how do you think some accessory companies stay in business, they wait for a change in the market and make a **** load of money on new accessory sales. Now that "micro usb" is the new standard, replacing usb, i am sure it will last 3-5 years then a new standard will replace it. How long did mini usb last? Sure its still on devices, but seems like its being phased out.
    MiniUSB being phased out? It will take a lot more than Palm and the others using MicroUSB for that to happen. RIM is the market leader for devices in this space (business smart phones) and once you see a press release saying RIM is going with MicroUSB, that's when MiniUSB will be getting phased out. Till then, no matter what any group with a title says, MiniUSB dominates the market in this space.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    So, the latest test was to charge while plugged into the splitter and do other things... I ran TomTom (and GPS) and was actually losing battery power.

So the short of it is that the splitter does not seem to pass through all of the electricity, even when nothing else is plugged in...

What a PoS...
    Did the TomTom use any juice from the 800w car charger?
    Did you try it with just the audio adapter to listen to music in your vehicle?
    I can see another device using power, but just the auio adapters shouldnt draw any power. Also, is it a Palm OEM car charger or an after market?
    I am on my 2nd aftermarket, i got a freebie cheap one initially but was unhappy with its charging abilities, i have since bought a higher grade aftermarket, and noticed it charges faster and seems to not over charge the unit if i have it pulugged in for a long time after the light goes from Red to Green.
    I have the micro to usb adapter as well as the aduio splitter on its way, i just dont have the Palm power splitter ordered yet. I was hoping to hear better news on its power splitting capabilities. Hummm... I dont mind paying 15 bucks from Palm for a splitter but what do they charge for shipping? Anybody got a used Palm splitter they wana sell?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I really dont think RIM will make an annoucement or press release saying they are going to drop Mini, it will just quietly happen. We will see new devices made with them. I think the Storm has micro usb. Time will tell what happens in the future.
    I think the Storm has micro usb. Time will tell what happens in the future.
    BB Storm micro usb charger? - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Looks like long time BB owners are already feeling the heat. Guess I'll be feeling it too one day, but I currently have a Touch Pro and BB Curve that both use MiniUSB.
    At last I got my cable and adapter. Sound is very very good. Talk about mono to stereo. Other than battery issue I can live with this solution. Anyways my question to some people who might have tried this USB solution and still got Treo Pro is; does Treo pro sounds as good as this solution? I have heard some music players that dont sound as good as others and I dont want to go and buy Treo Pro and then later find out that it sounds bad or very low. Anyone?

20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    At last I got my cable and adapter. Sound is very very good. Talk about mono to stereo. Other than battery issue I can live with this solution. Anyways my question to some people who might have tried this USB solution and still got Treo Pro is; does Treo pro sounds as good as this solution? I have heard some music players that dont sound as good as others and I dont want to go and buy Treo Pro and then later find out that it sounds bad or very low. Anyone?
    I have/use both setups.

Treo Pro is good--it is pretty loud, louder than the 800w (without adapter), but not earth shattering. Quality is decent, though I kind of almost like the USB adapter sound better.

OTOH, you can install SRS WoW HD on the Treo Pro, which adds an icon under Settings. From there you can add "3d sound", mess with bass, treble, etc, boost volume, etc. That does make the Treo Pro sound as good as the 800w with USB adapter. Plus the speaker on the Pro is a ton better than the 800ws--no crackling and plenty of volume.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast