Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Got the other adapter ($3.19 w/shipping) in today and well...you get what you pay for!

First, it does work, which leads me to believe that basically all of these usb-to3.5mm adapters are an option.

However
    1. It is slightly larger than the previous version I tried
    2. Sound has a crackle to it
    3. It's feels cheap (duh)

So I'm gonna recommend that people skip on that one and go for one a little bit more expensive (like $9, lol) for better quality audio.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    So they DO work with the splitter? AWESOME!
    Yes, Grant - thank you very much for the acknowledgment.
    My question is if this solution increase the volume on headset? If volumt is same then this solution is not an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So this is an extension of this thread, in which bnsguy found out that we can connect a micro USB to USB host cable to our 800w's and then connect basically any USB device to our phones.

--> With this method you can now use any 3.5mm headphones on your 800w.

I wrote those results up here at WMExperts:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/treo-800w-usb-host-port-works

The BIG question was can a USB to 3.5mm adapter work? The answer is yes.

I used this one: Syba USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / USB Sound Card in addition to this cable host adapter (mandatory).

I'm also awaiting on one from Hong Kong ($3.19) from eBay, but I'm fairly certain that will work as well.

Sound Quality: Very good, like really, really good.

I mean this is basically adding a USB sound card to your 800w so it is its own sound processor. Assuming your volume is maxed on the device, I had to keep the in-volume setting on pTunes to "58" as it was just too loud after that. It has a very clear, crisp sound and the stereo is fantastic.

I'll post back when the one from Hong Kong arrives and assuming that works, this means you can use any of your 3.5mm headphones for about $14 total investment. Sure it's no on-board 3.5mm, but this is as equivalent to HTC's ExtUSB except you get better sound processing now.

Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    My question is if this solution increase the volume on headset? If volumt is same then this solution is not an upgrade.
    Well, when i wrote
    "Assuming your volume is maxed on the device, I had to keep the in-volume setting on pTunes to "58" as it was just too loud after that. It has a very clear, crisp sound and the stereo is fantastic."
    I thought that was being pretty clear on the volume issue, but if not: yes, volume is significantly louder using this adapter. I have yet to max out volume as around "70" in pTunes starts to get too loud for me.

However, this stuff is relative to what we all consider "loud", so YMMV.

Thanks for being the guinea pig Mal. I ordered mine today and look forward to being able to watch movies and listen to audiobooks without the hindrances up til now.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The audio adapter in Malatesta's original post is out of stock in that store. I found the same item on ebay with no shipping if anyone is interested:

easy fast to add SOUND to PC - USB Stereo Audio Adapter - eBay (item 250390486743 end time Apr-14-09 17:49:11 PDT)
    I also tried the cheap Hong Kong Adapter and got the same crackle in the audio when attached to the treo 800w. I then attached it to a USB port on my desk top PC and played an audio file that produced perfect clean audio with no crackle. What is the issue here, is there a USB driver difference or is the Hong Kong Adapter drawing more than 100ma from the 800w?
    Would this work with the 800W?

****://store.androidcommunity.com/content/accessories/11-176--3571.htm#useropinions
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregzi View Post
    Would this work with the 800W?

****://store.androidcommunity.com/content/accessories/11-176--3571.htm#useropinions
    no

I did find to be a little louder, but not SIGNIFICANTLY louder as I anticipated it would be after reading this post. I would say that if anyone is on the fence withi this purchase, I would go ahead and do it since it does improve sound clarity and some volume when compared to the crappy stock headset that comes with the 800w.

Question--- Is the fact that I use Windows Media Player instead of Kinoma or Pocket tunes have any effect on sound?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreddy View Post
    Question--- Is the fact that I use Windows Media Player instead of Kinoma or Pocket tunes have any effect on sound?
    yeah, pTunes has an optional "volume boost" in it which I use. before it would get distorted with the old headphones or just not go higher but with the adapter it cleaner and goes louder...

Thanks to everyone's input. I've ordered the USB sound card (the final piece to the puzzle) and I'm good to go with this solution once it gets here.

Finally, I'll be able to get audio from my phone to my car and wired headphones once more!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I've received my USB to 3.5 adaptor but when plugged in nothing happens. There is a geeen light that illuminates for about 5 seconds then turns off. No audio coming out.

Are there any settings changes involved?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    I've received my USB to 3.5 adaptor but when plugged in nothing happens. There is a geeen light that illuminates for about 5 seconds then turns off. No audio coming out.

Are there any settings changes involved?
    Did ya put the headphone in the headphone jack and not the mic one?

Well yes I did, but I tired em both just to be sure
  16.    #36  
    Well yes I did, but I tired em both just to be sure
    lol, sorry had to ask

I dunno, which unit did you get? The same as I have or something different? Maybe you just got a bum unit?

I got some crappy hong kong one, I think I just typed in USB to 3.5 5.1 or something like that....

But ya it doesn't work. Everything else is workn for the host drive so it must be a bum unit. I dunno.
    I got some crappy hong kong one, I think I just typed in USB to 3.5 5.1 or something like that....

But ya it doesn't work. Everything else is workn for the host drive so it must be a bum unit. I dunno.
    I got the one Mal referred to (not the Hong Kong one) and all is working great. It sounds like you just got a faulty sound card.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I got the one Mal referred to (not the Hong Kong one) and all is working great. It sounds like you just got a faulty sound card.

I can also confirm it is working great for me with the one Maletesta recommended.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  20.    #40  
    I forgot, there's another "USB" software solution that may be useful for USB keyboards, mice,etc:

Teksoft - Future Teknology

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast