Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I thought I was getting a cheap knock off battery for $12 shipped from china but guess what they are the real deal holyfield!!! Palm charges $50 plus shipping!! It did take 2 weeks to get here but who cares!!!

1500mAh Battery for Palm PalmOne Treo Pro 850 850W - eBay (item 260360137223 end time Apr-10-09 20:23:16 PDT)
    I guess I can take a chance for $12. Thanks for the info.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Wish they had a 2200mAh OEM size straight from China baby!
    FYI, could be:
    1. substandard fakes with outright counterfeit of label
    2. made by HTC's CM but quality control rejects
    3. made by HTC's CM and fine

That said, for $12 it is probably worth the risk
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    A battery is a battery. What you want to look for is how big of a juice it can hold.

I wonder if they make battery like Laser toner with imprint chip.

You say its good, then we all good.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    A battery is a battery. What you want to look for is how big of a juice it can hold.
    Seriously problems with counterfeit and quality control rejects are not trivial. they can destroy devices and do, They can fail early and do. they can overheat, have defective overcharge circuits, poor chemical composition and they can n fact have much lower capacity or even voltage than claimed.

Just consider the siedio 1350 fro the 800w. that was from a reputable company where you had recourse and whcih had a reputation to protect and which would not be selling rejects. Yet Those batteries had big problems

There is a good chance these batteries are fine, there is also a fair chance these are rejects for cause.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Yah I forgot, I take that back.

If it is not package properally, it can burn your phone or even your pocket. Doesnt this thing got sulfric acid in it?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I've never had any problems with any Hong Kong knockoff I've ever purchased. But I don't think I'd skimp on battery in this particular case. If it damages the device, kiss the warranty good bye, you'll pay more than $50 to replace it. And yea, things such as risk of fire are more than a trivial concern and could cost more than money.

Treo Pros have had far less heat issues than some other products that were touched by HTC, but I'm just saying... If not for the lineage of heat issues, I'd probably not be so concerned. I buy knock off batteries often for things I have that were never handled by HTC.

But what if the reverse is true? Maybe I should try a knock off battery in my Touch Pro and see if it better mitigates the heat issues? Yea, I know, fat chance!

With anything that's passed by an HTC facility, I figure it's safer to keep it OEM with the batteries in case any heat issues occur and cause damage.
    If it is not package properally, it can burn your phone or even your pocket. Doesnt this thing got sulfric acid in it?
    the issue with liIon is not acid, it is heating and other possible damage as well as misrepresentation of actual mah by the seller.

That said I think the risk is low.

that said I think the title of the thread is a bit problematic. We do know know these oem. fake labels are very very easy to make. motorola has to resort to ever escalating hologram technology over fake labels for chargers and batteries.
    This early in the game with possibly relatively few handsets that use this exact battery in consumer hands, I have doubts about outright fakes, but they easily could be ones that fialed qaulity control and were not destroyed -- this is very common
  10.    #10  
    you guys are nuts - it's not like the phone is worth a million dollars or something and I have insurance anyway so why would I care?

I compared them closely and if they are fakes then I am IMPRESSED.

I know they could be rejects or fakes but hey it either works and performs like the one that came with my phone or it doesn't. I spent more money on lunch today than I did on the battery so who cares?

Unless you buy straight from Palm (and even then) how do you know where it's coming from anyway? They are made in China so my guess is the company making them made a bunch extra or something. I thought about buying up their 1000 inventory and selling them here and on eBay to make a quick profit but since I am nice guy I refrained.
    we350z, just wondering. Have you had much use out of this battery yet to confirm that it does indeed seem to have the same life as the OEM stock one? I mean, does it seem to drain at the same rate, or not?

I need a spare battery, but I want to make sure that it's not one of those cheap imitations that appear OEM, but only last 1/2 as long in actual use.

Not doubting you, just want a confirmation now that you've had it a day or so.

Thanks,
    Larry
  12.    #12  
    I haven't used it yet since i just got my replacement phone and am on my 2nd full drain cycle. I bought this battery as a spare backup to carry around in my bag in case I do run out since i use the phone a lot for work. I'll let you guys know how it compares once I pop it in. I'll see if i can figure out some way to guage it like keep it charged until i leave for work then check % at noon or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    we350z, just wondering. Have you had much use out of this battery yet to confirm that it does indeed seem to have the same life as the OEM stock one? I mean, does it seem to drain at the same rate, or not?

I need a spare battery, but I want to make sure that it's not one of those cheap imitations that appear OEM, but only last 1/2 as long in actual use.

Not doubting you, just want a confirmation now that you've had it a day or so.

Thanks,
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    you guys are nuts - it's not like the phone is worth a million dollars or something and I have insurance anyway so why would I care?
    Seriously, I hope it works out well for you and all who buy one.

But in the same sentence you speak of the device not being worth much while you're paying to have it insured. So it does have some considerable value to you, not a million, but I doubt many of us reading here have anything worth a million dollars. Not saying you have to care at all, you got it and I hope it works well. I only speak for myself when saying that (soon to be) $100 insurance deductible is nothing to wink at. And I'm the type, if I have a device that's working well for me, I don't care to risk seeing if a replacement will perform as well or worse.
  14.    #14  
    I am on the employee program so the insurance is cheap like a couple bucks a month. Regardless I insure all my new phones until they become cheap to replace on eBay.

One thing I notice on the battery is that on the very thin side it looks like the palm sticker wasn't completely put on straight as there are a couple rumple lines - I don't know maybe they are batteries that have minor cosmetic blemishes.

Let's not forget Palm also warranties these puppies. So what do you have to lose? My point is you wouldn't be able to tell anyway if I resold them for $25 on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Seriously, I hope it works out well for you and all who buy one.

But in the same sentence you speak of the device not being worth much while you're paying to have it insured. So it does have some considerable value to you, not a million, but I doubt many of us reading here have anything worth a million dollars. Not saying you have to care at all, you got it and I hope it works well. I only speak for myself when saying that (soon to be) $100 insurance deductible is nothing to wink at. And I'm the type, if I have a device that's working well for me, I don't care to risk seeing if a replacement will perform as well or worse.
    I know they could be rejects or fakes but hey it either works and performs like the one that came with my phone or it doesn't. I spent more money on lunch today than I did on the battery so who cares?

Unless you buy straight from Palm (and even then) how do you know where it's coming from anyway?
    to answer your first question of who cares? Bad LiLon batteries do q a specific thing, they overheat and damage devices.

to answer the second question, you don't have to buy direct from Palm since there are a lot of reputable dealers, including owes with the kind reputation that gives some confidence and of presence that gives recourse

I guess the problem is the thread title which claims OEM, when there is a very good chance they are not.

Labels including with holograms are very very easy to knock off.
    I am on the employee program so the insurance is cheap like a couple bucks a month. Regardless I insure all my new phones until they become cheap to replace on eBay.

One thing I notice on the battery is that on the very thin side it looks like the palm sticker wasn't completely put on straight as there are a couple rumple lines - I don't know maybe they are batteries that have minor cosmetic blemishes.

Let's not forget Palm also warranties these puppies. So what do you have to lose? My point is you wouldn't be able to tell anyway if I resold them for $25 on eBay.
    Well let's hope the problems with your battery are only visually cosmetic...

Buying the battery as you did, you have absolutely no guarantee Palm will uphold the warranty if your device is damaged by the battery. Because as you already know, it might be a reject. If something not approved by Palm damages your device, the warranty is void.

I have to agree with Aero, the battery is likely not OEM. Unless used in the phrase "OEM reject".

Neither of us is going to convince the other of anything, but hope your battery works out for you. Odds are probably on your side that no device damage will come from it. Just not something all of us care to do.

I wonder if they make battery like Laser toner with imprint chip.

You say its good, then we all good.
    That is not true; I can always tell when I am using a knock-off battery vs OEM.

For example, Treo 700wx Palm OEM battery works better than the Siedio battery; Siedios are quirky - won't boot, overheat, etc. But again, if it only happens once in a while, no biggie.

That said, the risk is low; if you are paying 1/4 the cost of OEM, it's work the risk.

Nokia got fed up with the exploding batteries and put holograms on their batteries - I don't know if any other manufacturer does this.

I got a what I am sure is an HTC Touch Pro counterfeit battery - it works okay, but has over heating issues and certainly does not last as long as the OEM battery, even though the mah rating is the same. But for $10, it was worth it. The battery was a damned good copy, label and all.

Anyway, I guess it's all about your risk tolerance.
  18.    #18  
    well, i am using the battery now and I must say it seems the same to me. I can't even find the aesthetic blemish i thought I saw before. One thing that was strange was that when I first put the battery in it was reading only 56% full after charging to the green light on my cradle charger. Once I plugged the phone into the charger after a couple minutes it reset to 100% and it seems to be draining at a normal rate (i drained down to 0% as you should do with new batteries to get longest life - although less imporatnt with li-on), very comparable to my true OEM battery. I'm not sure what the inaccurate reading thing was all about, could be my cradle. I am happy with this thought and everything is working absolutely fine.
    Draining a lit-ion battery helps ensure the battery reports accurately how much charge it has left, but draining it dry does nothing to help it in terms of longevity. Draining it can do more harm than good.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    Well, I recieve my battery a few days ago and it is performing just like the OEM battery. So far, no issues.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast