1.    #1  
    To make a long story short, the local Sprint store provided me with a brand new 800w this afternoon to replace my old 800w. The rep at the Sprint store activated it, and I had a plain out-of-the-box 800w.

I have been performing regular backups with Sprite onto my microSD card. So, I put my card into the new, freshly activated 800w and restored my last Sprite backup file. The backup was successful, and WM appeared to restore to it's original state (as it was on the old 800w) after the 2nd soft reset.

Upon WM booting in it's restored state, it prompts me for my password -- as it should. The problem is that my password (as it was on the old 800w) doesn't work. Nor do any of the [supposed] default passwords [according to the Sprint techs] -- the techs can't figure out how to unlock the device. I even booted the old 800w next to the new 800w and proved that the password works on the old device and not on the new one.

Am I the first person to ever get a new WM-based device (same model) and restore a backup from the old one to the new one?

The techs at the regional Sprint office apparently don't know anything about WM, and the "advanced tech support" at 1-800-sprint don't know any more than the techs at the regional store.

Any ideas?
    Yet another reason I will be leaving Sprint as soon as the Diamond 2 is released for a gsm US market.

I've restored to a new 800w from Sprite backup before, but never had the device locked. Did you consider removing the lock from the old Treo, then doing a backup and restore?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Did you consider removing the lock from the old Treo, then doing a backup and restore?
    Too late. The old 800w is on its way back to the Sprint warehouse.
    Can you hard reset the new 800w? Then prepare to do another restore, but leave out the restore option that sets the lock. I'm not exactly sure where it is, but I suspect if you go into the restore selection under System Data -> System Settings -> Security Settings one or more of the selections in there probably does it. You'll have to do some trial and error work to figure it out.

Hope that helps.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Can you hard reset the new 800w? Then prepare to do another restore, but leave out the restore option that sets the lock. I'm not exactly sure where it is, but I suspect if you go into the restore selection under System Data -> System Settings -> Security Settings one or more of the selections in there probably does it. You'll have to do some trial and error work to figure it out.
    Hope that helps.
    I have been through this cycle several dozen times since last night. I can't figure out in which system "component" WM stores the password. My best guess is the WM registry, but I have been unable to confirm. Either way, Sprite doesn't allow selective selection of the registry items -- it's all or nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by axelrod_eric View Post
    I have been through this cycle several dozen times since last night. I can't figure out in which system "component" WM stores the password. My best guess is the WM registry, but I have been unable to confirm. Either way, Sprite doesn't allow selective selection of the registry items -- it's all or nothing.
    You mean you can't drill down into the "System Data" items in your restore dialog? Dang, bummer. I'm using Sprite Backup v6.5 with self extracting executable backup files. It allows me to drill down in the restore options and be pretty picky. The 800w comes with an older version of Sprite backup, but I assumed it had similar restore options, sorry.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You mean you can't drill down into the "System Data" items in your restore dialog?
    You are correct. It's all-or-nothing on the "System Data" item within Sprite... and I am guessing that is where the WM password is stored.
    I had this problem as well. The fix is actually in the Sprite Options/Restore. By default the "restore security settings" radio button is selected. After a hard reset install Sprite (if necessary), fix the option, then restore. Next time you backup the phone, that option will be backup up correctly. :-) I also set the System Settings Restore to "replace" rather than "merge".