1.    #1  
    New to WM with my Sprint Treo Pro. Experienced my first non-routine crash tonight. Treo hung 90% into a scheduled Sprite backup. Waited 20 minutes and reset the device. When it started back up, the Today screen was blank. Reset several more times, Today screen still blank. Interestingly, I had to turn on the cell radio manually. After realizing that resetting would not restore my Today screen, I went to the setting and discovered that all Today items were checked off. I rechecked what I want (just Messaging and Calendar) but could not find the toggle to get the Comm Manager back on the Today screen.

Right now, everything seems back to normal (except for the missing Comm Manager on Today). All button settings, WiFi settings, PIN, other preferences _seem_ to be intact. I am really bothered that the Today items were wiped out - makes me wonder what else might have been corrupted.

Questions:
    1. How do I restore Comm Manager to Today?
    2. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure things run smoothly in the future? Is there anything beyond the Today screen that may have been corrupted?
    3. What may have caused this? I do not have that many third part apps. installed, just AvantGo, Google Maps, and a Bible program.

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    Interesting. Tried to run Sprite backup again, and it gave a message that because the previous (scheduled) backup had stalled, a few things needed to be cleaned up via reset. After reset, Comm Manager is back on Today. Hmmm.

We'll see how this next manual Sprite backup goes.
    In case you loose the Wireless Today plugin again (comm manager)...

discussion.treocentral.com/treo-pro/177929-wireless-status-missing-today-screen.html#post1577439

I can't post links just yet
    You are always in the s*** -it's just a matter of how deep
  4.    #4  
    Manual Sprite backup worked. Everything seems normal.

I am wondering: does Sprite backup run under a "protected mode" (after the 1st reset) where the Comm Manager on Today is disabled?

Any ideas on what would cause Sprite to freeze like that? It doesn't inspire confidence to have your backup program freeze the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Manual Sprite backup worked. Everything seems normal.

I am wondering: does Sprite backup run under a "protected mode" (after the 1st reset) where the Comm Manager on Today is disabled?

Any ideas on what would cause Sprite to freeze like that? It doesn't inspire confidence to have your backup program freeze the device.
    First time I have heard of that on either a Sprint or an unlocked GSM
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

This EXACT thing has happened to me four times. It happened during an overnight Sprite back up. When I wake up the Pro is frozen and when I reboot the today screen is blank! It seems to happen like every third night!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat View Post
    This EXACT thing has happened to me four times. It happened during an overnight Sprite back up. When I wake up the Pro is frozen and when I reboot the today screen is blank! It seems to happen like every third night!
    Did you have the same experience as I did where running Sprite again and having it clean up and reset restored everything on the Today screen? If so, sounds like something Sprite is doing.

This is the first time for me in over a week. If it happends even 1-2 more times, I may start looking for another backup program. Suggestions?
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Did you have the same experience as I did where running Sprite again and having it clean up and reset restored everything on the Today screen? If so, sounds like something Sprite is doing.

This is the first time for me in over a week. If it happends even 1-2 more times, I may start looking for another backup program. Suggestions?
    This is right - Sprite Backup disables a lot items when it reboots to perform a backup. If the backup fails midstream and freezes so you have to reset, Sprite Backup needs to re-enable everything it turned off. It should do this automatically when the device is finished rebooting and it detects a failed backup. But if not and you're looking at a blank today screen for instance, open the Sprite Backup program (Start Menu, Programs, etc) and it should then detect the failed backup and prompt you to reboot with everything re-enabled.

For what it's worth, Sprite Backup used to run flawlessly for me and a few weeks ago I started having a recurring problem with the backup freezing up before finished. But if I turn off ActiveSync and the Data/WiFI connection it's been running fine. Weird, but in case it helps you.
    Last edited by sansnil; 04/03/2009 at 09:43 AM.
    sounds like a software conflict with sprite.

can you guys list 3rd party apps that you have installed?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  10.    #10  
    Only 3 3rd party apps. for me:
    AvantGo
    Google Maps
    BibleReader (Olive Tree)

Also, my Sprite freeze last night was the first after ~11 days of successful daily scheduled backups. And none of the 3 apps. were installed recently.

We'll see if it happens again.
    Mine stalled again last night and when I opened Sprite it asked it alerted me about the failed backup and did the reset thing. Only problem was after the reset, the phone was basically dead! It reset just fine, but everytime I pushed a button the phone would lock up and I had to manually reset again and again!
    I had to hard reset and do a Sprite restore from a 3/31 backup. The good news is everything restored perfectly. So now I've disabled the automatic backups and will do it manually.

Does anyone know any other back up to card programs that are good?
    It really sounds like the application is not at fault, but something you have done between 3/31 and now.
    You guys are obviously not using pushmail through Exchange Activesync wirelessly.

In addition to removing everything from the Today Screen after a forced reset during a hung Sprite Backup session, Exchange Activesync won't run.

After tinkering with it for many nights, the solution is simple: just start Sprite Backup again, and it will reset your device. After that, everything is normal again, as many of you have noticed.
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.
  14.    #14  
    Scheduled backup without a hitch last night.

I agree that we know what to do when this happens to "fix" things and get them back to normal. Question is WHY this is happening and what can be done to avoid it.