1.    #1  
    How to Enable Windows Mobile Native In-Call Recording
    Posted by Anton D. Nagy
    April 1st, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    Some of you might not be aware that Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional has its own, built-in, default in-call recording solution, it's just that it's not active by default. You don't need any other third party solutions, just need to enable it via some registry edits or with a cab we've put together to make the process automatic.

Method 1 - registry edit:
    Create a key called "AudioRecording" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\" and inside that key you've created, add a new dword called "Enabled" with a value of 00000001. Create a key called "Voice" inside "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft" and inside that new key create two dword entries called "EnableCallRecordMenuItem" and "AllowInCallRecording", both with the same value of 00000001. Soft reset your device and you're set!

Method 2 - install our cab:
    Download the automated process and install it to device, followed by a soft reset.
    http://pocketnow.com/images/brandon/icrecording.cab

Successfull activation of native in-call recording will put a "Record" option in your in call soft menu. Tapping "Record" will record from that point on and save the wave format file you've just recorded to Device\My Documents\Notes.

Note: Device has to be application unlocked for this to work. Tested with HTC Touch HD, HTC Touch Pro and HTC Touch Diamond.
    I can confirm that this works in the Sprint Palm Treo Pro.
    You don't have to use SpeakerPhone and it still picks up the other callers voice ok?
    Just call me Berd.
    Before I do all this, is this an april fools joke?
    It's no joke, it's been up on XDA since before April 1. (At the bottom of the first post.)

I've tried it (on my Sprint HTC Touch Pro), but the volume of the recorded voice on the other end is low, just like using any other recorder during a call. It's convenient, but not really the solution we all have been searching for.

I'm keeping it just for the sake of convenience. It does record something and was easy to setup. Easier to setup than other methods that have been proposed and found to do about the same.

(For you Touch Pro folks using MightyROM, I think MightyMike half implemented this method, because the "Start recording" option is in the call menu of MightyROM [4.16], but does not do anything.)
  5.    #5  
    Its work quite well. I don't know how to compare it to anything else, but its free and it works, and just preforms a registry tweak for you.
    Motoq4life, my comment is no attempt to put it down. As I mentioned, I keep it on my device.

But you have to understand, there has been a long quest around here, to find a call recorder that works as well as the old Palm OS call recording. To record perfect audio from both ends of the call, without one side sounding low. So my statements are with that history in mind. It's neat, easy to install and use, but it's not what many around here have been long searching for, since moving to Windows Mobile from Palm OS. This works as well as other WM call recording methods used, such as starting a voice recorder before the call. Still, to get the voice on the other end at good volume, it requires using speakerphone. That's what Berdinkerdickle was asking about. It records the caller on the other end, but the volume is much lower than yours that is recorded on your end of the call.
  7.    #7  
    Oh I know you were not putting it down. I was just saying that for general purposes this is an acceptable tweak, but there is room for improvement.
    BTW, do you think this would work with the 800w as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    BTW, do you think this would work with the 800w as well?
    Try it on an 800w and let us know .

I think it probably does.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Just FYI on the 800... The 800w may have some HW limitation becuase I tried Vito Audio notes which would at least record from the speaker phone on other devices, but does not on the 800w. Vito and the speakerphone do work on the STP.

So as not to hijack the thread.... Moto how is the quality from both ends?
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I thought I patched the registry wrong so I tried the cab but I don't see any new options on my Treo Pro to Record.

This is on a GTP of course..anyone else get this working on theirs?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I thought I patched the registry wrong so I tried the cab but I don't see any new options on my Treo Pro to Record.

This is on a GTP of course..anyone else get this working on theirs?
    I have the same... on the STP, no new options either. I just used the cab.
    I have STP and tried this. I can get it record by (while the in call screen is up) unlocking the touchscreen with the 5-way and hitting the right softkey (menu) and the record option is there. I gave it a try and I can hear myself talking but not the other person on the other line in the recording. I would assume I would need to enable the speakerphone so the microphone can hear the other person?
    Worked fine for me, both volumes were about the same for my voice and the person on the other end. Didn't work with bluetooth head piece as it only recorded my side of the conversation.
    I did it the cab way.
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    Hey Guys,

Please say whether you have the Sprint or Gsm.

I have Gsm, and it didn't work for me.
    Just call me Berd.
    I did not have to use this registry tweak on my STP for voice record to work. While in a call I'd select Note and then select audio record. Both my voice and the other voice would be record cleary! However this would only work if I was speaking into the phone....does not work with Bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphad View Post
    I did not have to use this registry tweak on my STP for voice record to work. While in a call I'd select Note and then select audio record. Both my voice and the other voice would be record cleary! However this would only work if I was speaking into the phone....does not work with Bluetooth.
    We've all done that. You might not notice it, but the volume on the other end is lower than if using call recording with something like Palm OS. If you turn the volume on your earpiece down low, it will be even harder to hear in the recording.