1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Can anybody confirm if the Sprint Treo Pro can view news videos, like on a PC? For example, can you view MSNBC Morning Joe video clips? Here is a link Morning Joe

I know, I know if you don't like this specific news clip I hear you, but all I need is a simple yes or no. Thanks in advance to all.
    I get the page to load, but Iris and Opera say that I need a new version of flash where the video screen is.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MRTRIPOD View Post
    I get the page to load, but Iris and Opera say that I need a new version of flash where the video screen is.
    Thanks MRTRIPOD. So its safe to assume or more likely that actual viewage of this video link would not work. If there is a tech guy/gal seeing this can you give me a layman's explaination? Can this work with an additional software download of some sort?
    Try it with Skyfire.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Try it with Skyfire.
    I tried using Skyfire, but it just gives a blank page for the msnbc site.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I tried using Skyfire, but it just gives a blank page for the msnbc site.
    (Stunned!!!)

I just tried too with Opera Mobile and Skyfire on my Touch Pro. I get the same as you folks. I doubt anybody can view ol Joe's page from a hand held.

If we can't view a MSNBC page with our MS-based hand held devices, we know the folks using other devices are not doing any better .

If this is the deal breaker for not buying a Treo Pro, it means no hand held is good enough .

I find, WM devices can handle more sites than any others.
    Well, in related and happier news, I got an e-mail last night from SPB Software, that Spb TV 1.0 has been launched!

If anybody knows of something better than that for additional video let me know. Because I'm considering buying SPB TV today .
  8.    #8  
    (Stunned!!!)

I just tried too with Opera Mobile and Skyfire on my Touch Pro. I get the same as you folks. I doubt anybody can view ol Joe's page from a hand held.

If we can't view a MSNBC page with our MS-based hand held devices, we know the folks using other devices are not doing any better .

If this is the deal breaker for not buying a Treo Pro, it means no hand held is good enough .

I find, WM devices can handle more sites than any others.
    Well, I can upgrade a couple of lines and I hoped for this feature to work on the Pro. I hope the Palm Pre will have this feature. I see no reason for allowing/having a CNN video work versus a specific news program video, but maybe its the rights prohibiting this function and software capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Hi all,

Can anybody confirm if the Sprint Treo Pro can view news videos, like on a PC? For example, can you view MSNBC Morning Joe video clips? Here is a link Morning Joe
    Problem is this: Flash Lite 3.1 (what is on the Treo Pro) supports Flash 9 (ActionScript 2).

MSNBC supports Flash 10, which is pretty cutting edge.

So when products like Skyfire, Opera Mobile 9.7, Iris etc. start to support Flash 10 you can try that instead. Flash Lite will need to be upgraded to support Flash 10, but no telling if/when that will happen.

Edit: Look for full Flash 10 support for mobiles...in 2010

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Problem is this: Flash Lite 3.1 (what is on the Treo Pro) supports Flash 9 (ActionScript 2).

So when products like Skyfire, Opera Mobile 9.7, Iris etc. start to support Flash 10 you can try that instead. Flash Lite will need to be upgraded to support Flash 10, but no telling if/when that will happen.

yeah, I feel like I am prompted all the time on my PCs to udpate flash. Not a good thing in the mobile world!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Thanks Malatesta. I never had a WM phone. I still like the STP so I may pick it up tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I don't have a STP, yet. This is why I wanted to get some opinions from the people who have it. Can you get back to me on your post and comment on the pros/cons?
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Thanks Malatesta. I never had a WM phone. I still like the STP so I may pick it up tomorrow.
    You've got to decide between the Treo Pro or a laptop with Skype, a headset and wireless card with GPS . The laptop route might cost a little more, but you'd have access to Flash 10 .

Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Looks like you have manage a file to add new stations manually.

I got Spb TV and think it offers way more. New stations can be added via request. No files to have to manage. SPB TV also offers a channel guide for the stations, which can be used to make outlook reminders for upcoming shows. It also has picture in picture, the "picture" inside the main picture is really just a screen shot, but neat.

It's really a matter of you get what yo pay for between the 2.
    The XDA page about WebTV 3.1 mentions it now has over 500 links. SPB TV only has about 70. WebTV 3.1 may have less features, but all those stations can't be passed up. I'm going to install that one too.
    The XDA page about WebTV 3.1 mentions it now has over 500 links. SPB TV only has about 70. WebTV 3.1 may have less features, but all those stations can't be passed up. I'm going to install that one too.
    I loaded up WebTV 3.1 and I'm not seeing the 500 stations. I'm seeing less than 30. But still it's a good app to also have for some additional stations. And it's hard to pass up FREE . I'll be using both.
    Oh now I see, WebTV 3.1 does have over 500 "links". You have to go into the setup and load various files to get to them. Lots of files with different stations in each. Some work, some don't. Does not seem there is a way to add them to the main tabs yet though. The "Add" button remains grayed out, but you can play the stations by loading the files and hitting "Play".

Not the neatest user interface, but yes, hundreds of stations in WebTV 3.1.
    Are the channels any better than just accessing TV using this webpage? PDA Portal at Mobiletopsoft, hunderds of RSS headline feeds to read and many other stock quotes and weather information

I looked at SPB TV, and assumed it was just a player for those streaming stations that are already offered (such as on that site). Can you give an idea of what stations are offered?

As for WebTV, I used it for a day or so - there is a way to add channels to tabs that isn't too unwieldy. You go to the Setup tab and click "Channels". In the middle of the screen is the name of the tab, so you select the one you want to edit, then click "Edit". You then have to click the dropdown at the top of the page to select the country of origin of the channel you'd like to add.

You can then select a channel in the top list to add it to the tab, or select a channel in the bottom list to delete from the tab.

It seems that the channel list is comparable to SPB-TV, and is free.
    Last edited by Bujin; 04/04/2009 at 07:50 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G