1.    #1  
    I've read a few posts on various forums that seem to indicate that HTC did not include hardware accelerated video drivers on the Treo Pro.

I know my 800w has accelerated video, which would seem to be the reason I read so many people saying the 800w feels faster than the Pro. I've been contemplating upgrading to the Pro because of its thin profile and flush touchscreen, but I think not having accelerated video might make me pass it up.

Can anyone confirm?
    I haven't done a browser scrolling test side by side, but I'd bet the 800w would win. However the Pro plays Slingplayer better than the 800w due to the faster processor.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I been watching video and the frame is fast on the Pro.

On the 800w I had trouble.

Is it the hardware or the proper driver?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I been watching video and the frame is fast on the Pro.

On the 800w I had trouble.

Is it the hardware or the proper driver?
    Can you watch a video news link on MSNBC? Like Morning Joe? Can anyone confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Can you watch a video news link on MSNBC? Like Morning Joe? Can anyone confirm this?
    When I try to download MSNBC Multimedia on Mobile, it says the device is not supported. Very narrow list of supported devices.

Maybe someone has a hack to get around this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I haven't done a browser scrolling test side by side, but I'd bet the 800w would win. However the Pro plays Slingplayer better than the 800w due to the faster processor.
    Yup, that's what I noticed too.

Basically for OS redraw, the 800w did a better job but for raw processing power, the STP will crush the 800w.

So to the OP, no it certainly doesn't look like video drivers are on board on STP, but the fast CPU tries to make up for it. Sometimes it does it better, other times worse.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, Mal.

I haven't paid attention to HTC's offers for some time now. Are the odds probably against the STP getting drivers in the future (from xda or elsewhere)?

Mostly I'd just like it for a smoother experience scrolling in PIE and Opera Mobile; my HTC Mogul was terrible in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Thanks, Mal.

I haven't paid attention to HTC's offers for some time now. Are the odds probably against the STP getting drivers in the future (from xda or elsewhere)?

Mostly I'd just like it for a smoother experience scrolling in PIE and Opera Mobile; my HTC Mogul was terrible in that regard.
    I wouldn't hold my breath as I don't think many of those video driver ports have been hugely successful on many devices.

I can't really say if it is the same, worse or better than the Mogul, but I don't think it's that bad. It depends on many factors and the low RAM doesn't help. If you are running Opera Mobile and have some apps open, when the RAM gets low and the processor gets bogged down with running programs, it will stutter. OTOH, if you are only running a few and close out apps it won't be an issue.

Really your best bet is like all things: try it out for a few days and see if it works for you

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter