Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm really hoping somebody can help me here. I just replaced my aging 700p with the long-awaited Treo Pro (Sprint). I've actually been looking forward to getting fully Windows-based, since my 700p syncing was routinely problematic - always having to do workarounds and plug in the cord just the right way, etc...

Let me try to give you the flow so far.

I have Vista SP1
    I get the Treo Pro
    I plug Treo Pro into Vista, SP!, all ready to sync up my Outlook 2007 data.
    Treo Pro fires up a very impressive looking installation routine.
    Routine seemingly works fine - getting me to the point where you unplug and reconnect your device to do your first sync
    I reconnect, and hear the Windows "USB connect" sound, then.... nothing.
    I open WMDC and it says "not connected"
    I open "USB to PC" on the Treo, and uncheck the "advanced networking" box as suggested by some other posts.
    Windows sees the difference and installs a couple of other drivers.
    Windows connects, gives me the "USB connect" sound, and WMDC says "not connected"
    The Treo appears to attempt a sync, but finishes with a message "To synchronize this device, you must install ActiveSync 4.5 or newer on your desktop computer. "

HUH? ActiveSync only works with XP - of course I can't install that!

By the way, I tried the same thing with my Vista SP1 laptop. Same exact results.

Also, at no time have I seen the WMDC icon in the tray area. (I remember having a Nino way back when, and the ActiveSync icon was down there)

I thought this was supposed to be easy - Windows PC, Windows device. Piece of cake, right? Not so. If I cannot get this thing to connect, I'm getting a Centro! (not my first choice....)

A thought... any chance this could have to do with having Palm Hotsync still installed (from my Treo 700p)?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Windows Vista does not use ActivSync, it used Windows Mobile Device Center. I'm assuming that you installed it, it does not automatically work unless you do. If you haven't, can download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...-download.mspx

I sync my Treo Pro with two different computers, one XP (ActivSync) and one Vista (WMDC), and it works fine with both of them, first time with both. I'm also using Outlook 2007 on both computers as well. On my computer the Sync Center is on the task bar, but it is also in the Control Panel.

Last edited by ivhs72; 03/29/2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Right, as I said, I cannot install ActiveSync on Vista. WMDC is reporting "not connected" right now, and I have no solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by finalewiz View Post
    Right, as I said, I cannot install ActiveSync on Vista. WMDC is reporting "not connected" right now, and I have no solutions.
    If you go to the Control Panel, do you see the Sync Center? If you don't see the Sync Center, you will not be able to attach your device. If you open the Synce Center, that is where you will be able to control the devices that you have attached to your computer. If you open the Sync Center, one of the options is Set Up New Sync Partenerships. That will then open the WMDC. If you don't see the Sync Center, then you will need to go to the link that I referenced and download the Mobile Device Manager. Also, you will not see WMDC on the task bar, you will see the Sync Center.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Try connecting using ActiveSync on the Treo, then once it's connected to the PC, open up WMDC in Vista.

I generally connect to my laptop via Bluetooth and that's the procedure I follow, which works every time. Alternately, you could go into the "Sync Center" in Vista, delete the partnership, and then try to set it up again from scratch. It's possible that something got messed up in the partnership settings.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    OK, I can open Sync Center from Control Panel, but clicking Set Up New Sync Partnership just shows me a "Offline files" folder. No partnership is there, and no prompt to create one. Clicking View Sync Partnerships just shows me conflicts (none), sync results (none), and sync setup (says "unknown")

Running ActiveSync on the device just gets me a screen on the treo saying "to sync your device with a desktop computer, install the syn software, etc..."
    OK, I can open Sync Center from Control Panel, but clicking Set Up New Sync Partnership just shows me a "Offline files" folder. No partnership is there, and no prompt to create one. Clicking View Sync Partnerships just shows me conflicts (none), sync results (none), and sync setup (says "unknown")

Running ActiveSync on the device just gets me a screen on the treo saying "to sync your device with a desktop computer, install the syn software, etc..."
    Then you don't have a partnership set up on your computer. First, soft-reset the Treo. Then, uninstall WMDC on the computer, then reboot the computer. After the PC reboots, connect the Treo to the PC via USB and start over with installing WMDC on your computer and setting up the sync partnership. Don't disconnect the Treo until you are sure everything in set up and working (i.e. WMDC shows the device as "connected" and has synced successfully).
    Make sure on the Treo that it's set to sync with the computer. Go to Start -> Settings -> System -> PC Setup and make sure the option is on "Synchronize", not "Set up my PC".
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    dwboston - although I had already done what you suggested in the beginning, I tried again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Plugged in device, installed WMDC 6.1 first, exited install, Vista recognizes and installs SmartPhone USB sync, then nothing.. except the Treo saying "to sync, you gotta install ActiveSync 4.5".

back to square one
    finalewiz, it is your device telling you that it needs ActivSync 4.5? Very strange. I would try a hard reset of the Treo at this point. Also what version of firmware is on your Treo. The most recent was 1.04-SPNT, which was the release version. Some of the 1.03 units were unofficially sold, maybe you have one of those. Also, which version of Vista are you running? Home, Ultimate? 32 or 64 bit versions?

Also, if you go the Palm support website and download the user manual for the Sprint version, it gives you a step-by-step procedure for doing a first time sync. Very detailed, tells about when to connect the phone, install the software, etc. For the initial setup, you have to have the phone in the Setup PC mode. Once it is synced, then you switch the phone to the Syncronize mode. Here is the link, just in case you don't have it:

http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal..._UG_Sprint.pdf

It is 478 page manual, I wish they had included one with the phone.

Last edited by ivhs72; 03/30/2009 at 11:06 AM.

dwboston - although I had already done what you suggested in the beginning, I tried again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Plugged in device, installed WMDC 6.1 first, exited install, Vista recognizes and installs SmartPhone USB sync, then nothing.. except the Treo saying "to sync, you gotta install ActiveSync 4.5".

back to square one
    Go here: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...T850UNA_UG.pdf

Start with page 89 and run through the setup again. There is a synchronization troubleshooting section starting on page 325. My guess is there is a setting checked/unchecked that is causing a problem. For instance, my syncing works fine with the "Advanced Network Functionality" checked in USB to PC.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    My friend, I've already done this twice now - see my original post !

Anyone else have ideas?

Anyone else have ideas?
    There's some step or option you are missing, absent a hardware problem. If you don't want to retrace your steps or try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the user manual then good luck.

Anyone else have ideas?
    In your initial post, you don't say what mode your Treo was in when you initially set it up? Was it set up to the Syncronize mode, or was it set to Setup PC. The user's manual specifically says what mode to put it in and when. It also says what can happen when you have it in the wrong mode.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    dwboston - I've done exactly that. Still no luck

ivhs72 - Initially, it was in the factory mode - Setup PC. Each time thereafter I did return that to Setup.
    It should be on Synchronize, not PC Setup.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    It should be on Synchronize, not PC Setup.
    Exactly. PC Setup for the very first time to load WMDC on the computer and setup the partnership, then Synchronize every time after that.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Right, but I returned it to PC Setup when trying to reinstall everything. After the installation it changes itself to Synchronize
    Right, but I returned it to PC Setup when trying to reinstall everything. After the installation it changes itself to Synchronize
    You should probably do a hard reset on the Treo. That will erase any traces of the inital attempts to sync. Then set it to Setup PC and see what happens. As I understand it, using the Setup PC initially loads the WDMC onto the computer (if I have interpreted the user manual correctly).

Sounds like you're doing everything in the proper sequence. It may also be that you have a bad Treo out of the box. It does happen. You can take into a Sprint store and have them check it out for that operation.

Are you using ZoneAlarm or another third-party firewall program? Those have been known to block syncing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast