1.    #1  
    I've had my Pro for three days now and I feel like the battery is just as bad as the 800. I cannot make it through the full day without needing a charge and that's with no phone calls, just some email. On the 800 I turned off GPS as a workaround and i was hoping i didn't need to do that on this phone. Are there any tricks to conserving the battery on the Pro or settings I am not aware of? This is VERY disappointing because that was my one and only reason to make the switch!

I recall something about how many email folders synch or how often, but I cannot find that tip...

Any help would be appreciated.
    Something is wrong if your pro is not vastly better with battery vs the 800.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Something is wrong if your pro is not vastly better with battery vs the 800.
    +1

it's TREMENDOUSLY better....
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    Perhaps their Treo Pro battery has not been conditioned enough yet? Only been 3 days...

Dallasazcat, you could always talk to Sprint about it and see if they'll give you a 2nd battery. To see if it performs better. Just in case you have a bad battery.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I hope the battery life is better also.
    This is one of the big reasons I am switching that and the external keyboard.
    I am so tired of my slid out one on the Titan
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I've only had my Pro for a few days, but I see a HUGE improvement in battery life.
    Yes, definitely better.
    I am getting about 40% better battery life
    I am getting about 19.32% better battery life

But the phone overall is so much better overall that I wouldn't care if it was the same.
    The pro has wwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybetter battery. the 800 claimed 4.5 hours use time. My ****.
    I'm getting better battery life, even with BT enabled all the time. No percentages, but I can go 1-2 days if I need to w/o charging it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I'm getting better battery life, even with BT enabled all the time. No percentages, but I can go 1-2 days if I need to w/o charging it.

OK, for comparison in regards to your usage tell us how long you could use your old 800w with BT enabled without charging it?
    Constant use 800 four hours. Pro 12?
    I am in the same boat as the OP. I never had a 800, I came off a Centro, but I am lucky if my device is above 20% after being off the charger from 6:30am till 7pm. It was a little better the first 3 days, lasting until about 9pm before it hit 25% ish, but my usage was a little less as well. I don't even use a BT, because I am afraid the phone won't last the whole day. I only make a handful of quick phone calls, maybe 2 handfulls of text messages, get about the same amount of emails and that's it. If I play Guitar Hero for a few minutes, turn on sprint tV for a few minutes, or use the GPS, I need to find a charger before my day is over. If I watch a whole 30 minute show on Sprint TV, or use the Navigation for 30-45 minutes for a full trip, I need the charger before half the day is over.

I am wondering if maybe my settings have anything to do with it. I had windows live set to "as items arrive" and Gmail set to every 5 minutes. I dropped them both back to every 15 minutes, and it seems to be helping a bit, but not enough that I could use GPS or bluetooth if I needed to without having a charger handy. I am curious about this sycning certain email folders only. I wonder if only syncing the inbox regularly would make a big difference?

I love the phone, and I really don't want to spend all day finding a solution, but using this instead of a Pre was because of the cable. I thought with a 1500mha battery, and an SD card, I wouldn't need to worry about carrying cables around with me. Guess I was wrong, and it really isn't a difference. GPS isn't a huge deal, since I can obviously plug in a car cable, I just wish I could go a full day using the phones features without needing to plug in to a house plug somewhere along the line since I am rarely near a car or house plug throughout the day for more than 10 minutes.
    I agree with you centro85. My pro battery is definitely better than my 800w but I am not seeing a tremendous difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
    I agree with you centro85. My pro battery is definitely better than my 800w but I am not seeing a tremendous difference.
    Honestly, I think it is the OS, and not HTC/Palm's fault. I have limited programming experience, did VBVBVB/$C$++/$Pascal$/$Dbase$/$Java$/$HTML$ $when$ $I$ $was$ $younger$, $and$ $had$ $some$ $formal$ $classes$ $on$ $VB$/$C$++/$PASCAL$ $and$ $JAVA$. $I$ $am$ $not$ $an$ $expert$, $don$'$t$ $claim$ $to$ $be$, $and$ $I$ $know$ $nothing$ $about$ $mobile$ $OS$ $programming$. $With$ $that$ $said$, $to$ $me$, $it$ $honestly$ $feels$ $like$ $the$ $OS$ $is$ $extremely$ $inefficient$. $From$ $the$ $OS$ $itself$, $to$ $the$ $native$ $apps$, $to$ $the$ $standard$ $drivers$ $etc$. $it$ $just$ $feels$ $like$ $the$ $whole$ $thing$ $was$ $programmed$ $way$ $too$ $fast$, $but$ $someone$ $who$ $just$ $got$ $out$ $of$ $HS$ $and$ $knew$ $way$ $too$ $little$. $I$ $think$ $that$'$s$ $why$ $HTC$ $and$ $Palm$ $came$ $out$ $with$ $their$ $own$ $little$ $quick$ $programs$ $to$ $override$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $most$ $horrendous$ $of$ $WM$ $programming$. $Why$ $else$ $does$ $something$ $as$ $native$ $and$ $common$ $as$ $a$ $Calculator$, $start$ $menu$, $or$ $phone$ $dial$ $pad$ $take$ $longer$ $to$ $load$ $than$, $say$, $Sprint$ $TV$ $or$ $Pocket$ $Express$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $see$ $why$ $the$ $start$ $menu$ $or$ $calculator$ $could$ $be$ $anywhere$ $near$ $the$ $size$ $or$ $processing$ $power$ $necessary$ $to$ $load$ $Kinoma$.

Just my useless .02. I know I have come off as "bashing" the Pro lately, but that's sort of the cures of forums. You never talk about the good things, only the bad in order to try and fix them. I do like my Pro, don't get me wrong, but I think Microsoft has dropped the ball multiple times with Windows Mobile, and having all these amazing hardware running this buggy OS really brings out the quirks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I am wondering if maybe my settings have anything to do with it. I had windows live set to "as items arrive" and Gmail set to every 5 minutes. I dropped them both back to every 15 minutes, and it seems to be helping a bit, but not enough that I could use GPS or bluetooth if I needed to without having a charger handy. I am curious about this sycning certain email folders only. I wonder if only syncing the inbox regularly would make a big difference?
    Lots of stuff here. If syncing every 5 mins and it's with a POP email system, that is a HUGE drain. Even with IMAP, every 5 mins is too much or rather, will drain significantly. You should look into Hosted Exchange or if you have unlimited SMS, use something like PushEffect. Much better on battery life.

Also for GPS and navigation, it is imperative that you "exit out" of those apps after you are done. Don't just hit "ok" and leave it on in the background as that too will kill battery.

I dunno, I ran 12 hrs with push/exchange and was only down 20-25% on the Treo Pro.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Lots of stuff here. If syncing every 5 mins and it's with a POP email system, that is a HUGE drain. Even with IMAP, every 5 mins is too much or rather, will drain significantly. You should look into Hosted Exchange or if you have unlimited SMS, use something like PushEffect. Much better on battery life.

Also for GPS and navigation, it is imperative that you "exit out" of those apps after you are done. Don't just hit "ok" and leave it on in the background as that too will kill battery.

I dunno, I ran 12 hrs with push/exchange and was only down 20-25% on the Treo Pro.
    Exchange server? Like SEVEN? I don't know much about exchange servers, so this is all new to me. I tried SEVEN and it destroyed my battery life even worse. Between running SEVEN, and using Sprint GPS for about 35 minutes, my battery was dead before 2:00pm.

I am OCD about the task manager, probably due to all the memory management threads I read on WM forums before deciding to take the plunge from PalmOS to WM.

That push effect looks interesting, but for $20 I think I may be better off just getting a larger battery or looking into other email options. Thanks for that though, it may be the best one. Even checking every 15 minutes isn't much of a difference though. Maybe 5-10% extra over the course of the day. I can't afford to have my emails come any slower than that.. in fact it has caused a problem already.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    they both are horrible.
    return 3 times. still same battery issue. hope pre isnt this bad