Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently have a blackberry curve and it's a very stable device and easy to use for computer dummies like myself. However, there are two features I really want on a phone that can't be had on the blackberry. One is adobe reader (required for my local library to download books) and two is pocket tunes (my library also uses this program to download audio books on phones).

Here's my concern, how difficult is the learning curve for the pro? Do you need to be particularly computer savvy to use it? I'm not concerned about the basics. I can sync my berry and add apps and I've updated my os with no problems. But I read these forums and a lot of it sounds like greek to me.

Karen
    It is a lot of geek. I would stay put if I were you. Blackberry is more stable and has far better battery life.

Adobe reader is mostly useless anyway.
    Wow I do not agree on "lot of geek." Sure, the BB is easy to use for what it does; however, a WM device is very easy to use also, expecially if one sticks with the basics and its functionality can be easily increased with a minimum of effort and a learning curve that really is not an issue in itself. A WM device does a whole lot more and frankly, stability is not an issue.

I use Documents to Go for my PDF reader and it used a couple of times a week. PDF files are handy and I generate my share of them - it is a convenience issue. DTG is a very stable application. Pocket Tunes and Kinoma Player are excellent applications - I have the paid releases of both applications. Easy to use.

What WM device are you speaking of with stability issues?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I am far from a phone or computer geek I feel like I have done good when I turn them on and they work.
    I have had two Blackberry's and two windows mobile based phones.
    My take is the Blackberry's are great at E-Mail and just get by with the rest.
    But they are stable and have great battery life.
    The WM phones do E-Mail OK but are much more versatile at everything else. Much more powerful but all that horse power takes juice to run.
    I agree with Bacon. My previous company provided a curve and paid for service but I chose to pay for my own service on a treo 700wx because I found it to do a better job with high paced changes between phone, calendar, and contacts. The blackberry was just too cumbersome for those tasks but did great with email.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I've heard several pro users having some problems with the phone's durability since they tend to get mysterious cracks on their Treo Pro. On the otherhand, BB curve has the edge when it comes their phones design.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    I've heard several pro users having some problems with the phone's durability since they tend to get mysterious cracks on their Treo Pro. On the otherhand, BB curve has the edge when it comes their phones design.
    I thought I read in some of the posts that the cracking looked to be just in a certain range of serial numbers. Is it still happening now?
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
    I agree with Bacon. My previous company provided a curve and paid for service but I chose to pay for my own service on a treo 700wx because I found it to do a better job with high paced changes between phone, calendar, and contacts. The blackberry was just too cumbersome for those tasks but did great with email.
    I don't agree with you or bacon...

In my experience, BB is not so hot with email... not better than WM. I don't care for the BB interface... it is very "ancient." Right now my sigs won't stick... very odd little issues with the BB. I had to reset the device to allow ota sync... even now one of my folders won't sync properly.

My other issue is the keyboard (this phone was assigned.. not purchased).. the keyboard does not have a dedicated "." key. You have to hit alt to do a ".". Not a big deal to some, but if you live on email, it is a pain in the rear after a while. I've not had a wm without a dedicated ".".

All the while, my wm device hums along with no issues.

I carry two email devices everyday... wm and bb... wm is by far my fav...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9.    #9  
    BB works great with email and texting. To get a "." all you have to do is hit the space bar twice, works great and is very fast. I have no complaints with email or texting and I love the BB messenger, but these are things that are secondary for what I want to use the phone for. I'm leaning more towards the Pro, just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be too much for me.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!
    I would figure out how you are going to implement email before making the change.

If you are a BIS user with a gmail, aol, or other personal account you need to either buy a hosted exchange account or settle for a 3rd party solution unless you just want to "check" email at certain intervals.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon225 View Post
    I am far from a phone or computer geek I feel like I have done good when I turn them on and they work.
    I have had two Blackberry's and two windows mobile based phones.
    My take is the Blackberry's are great at E-Mail and just get by with the rest.
    But they are stable and have great battery life.
    The WM phones do E-Mail OK but are much more versatile at everything else. Much more powerful but all that horse power takes juice to run.
    Well said
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    BB works great with email and texting. To get a "." all you have to do is hit the space bar twice, works great and is very fast. I have no complaints with email or texting and I love the BB messenger, but these are things that are secondary for what I want to use the phone for. I'm leaning more towards the Pro, just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be too much for me.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!
    I don't think it will be too much... It will take some getting used to, as the BB is for me... yea, I know about the space bar, but I send out a lot of urls so...

I like wm... you can test drive a pro and if you don't like it, send it back. I'd bet you will like it...

I would take one of the suggestions above though... get an exchange account. Yea, it can cost $8 a month and up, but it makes your life in WM very enjoyable.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I just recently switched from a palm device to WM it took a little time to get used to it, mostly because I went with the Touch and had never used a soft keyboard before, anyway now I love WM and would not go back...no not even for the Pre ;-)
    Terry
    I have had a Pro for a week; coming from a 755p. Texting has been the most difficult thing to adapt to. I can’t do it when I walk to drive. I am mainly a BUS user, functioning off gmail/yahoo email accounts.

I am thinking of switching to your BB.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by bellefonte View Post
    I have had a Pro for a week; coming from a 755p. Texting has been the most difficult thing to adapt to. I canít do it when I walk to drive. I am mainly a BUS user, functioning off gmail/yahoo email accounts.

Thoughts?
    If your looking for Stable OS and outstanding battery life...BB is for you.
    Your best bet is to Give test drive ,Pick one up from Sprint and use for 25 days ,If its not for you return.
    I have had a Pro for a week; coming from a 755p. Texting has been the most difficult thing to adapt to. I canít do it when I walk to drive. I am mainly a BUS user, functioning off gmail/yahoo email accounts.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    If your looking for Stable OS and outstanding battery life...BB is for you.
    Your best bet is to Give test drive ,Pick one up from Sprint and use for 25 days ,If its not for you return.
    his problem is not with stable os or battery life which seems to be the only thing going for blackberry. that's why you keep bringing it up. the treo pro is a very stable device and has a great battery life as well. you should stop this type of compairsion because even you your self said it was stable and battery life was good. tell the truth, you returned your treo pro after 25 hours of use, and went back to the blackberry because the screen wasn't as nice. he is not even talking about the screen.

if the guy is having problems texting while he "walk to drive", then the blackberry may not be much better for him. the front facing qwert keyboards on the two are too close to being the same. yes spacing may be a little more spread out on the blackberry, but even you said the keyboard on the treo pro was better than the blackberry curves keyboard.

i agree with trying the devices out him self, but he only gets one swap within the 30 days. he could get stuck with a blackberry and not be any happier.

+1
    My fav as well.

Now to 24hr Pro review.

My biggest worry about Pro was battery and keyboard.

Pro Keybords not the prettiest yet gets job done well.
    Ive found it to be very smooth..better then Blackberry Curves believe it or not.
    I gave battery full charge then giving full work out in calls ,sms ,mms,loading apps ,telanav etc.Battery is just as good as WX , It got me about 7 hours which is fantastic for first charge.

The unexpected

Pro is well built yet has one major setback ,The screen
    It appears washed out with very shallow blacks compared to WX and Curve.
    I took outside finding that Pro screen very hard to view compared to WX and Curve ,
    Just to make sure I didn't receive dud I stopped by Sprint store.Manager was packing one and both screens appeared the same.

Pro OS lag bothers me...a couple examples

1:Holding 1key taking you to call screen for vmail ugly jag is present.
    When you end call screen lags 5-10 secs before going back to today screen.If you push end key twice presto today screen appears.I find it very odd WM cant make simple task simple.

2:I have Weatherbug direct installed looking pretty on today screen ,When you close today screen menu it jag lags on WB.

Some may think im being picky but that's not the case,
    No Os is perfect but smooth operation on phone feature should be expected...I would love to know when Microsoft will figure that out ,they want to provide it all yet fail to deliver sound basics.
    source
    Last edited by codyppc; 04/03/2009 at 02:42 PM.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I have had a Pro for a week; coming from a 755p. Texting has been the most difficult thing to adapt to. I can’t do it when I walk to drive. I am mainly a BUS user, functioning off gmail/yahoo email accounts.

Thoughts?
    my thoughts are unless you are just wanting to spend a little more money on data plan (unless you have a SPE) the blackberry will be too close to the same thing. you will also loose alot of 3rd party apps and have to deal with stuff liek crappy browser and lots of limitations. the blackberry does what it does well, but it doesn't do everything windows mobile does. and it cost more. i saved like $35 dollars a month getting rid of the BES plan for $40 to a $15 windows mobile data package. i removed the blackberry add on with my exchange hosting and saved another $10 a month. i'm happy with the device change and even more happy with the money saved.
    Last edited by codyppc; 04/03/2009 at 02:47 PM.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    his problem is not with stable os or battery life which seems to be the only thing going for blackberry. that's why you keep bringing it up. the treo pro is a very stable device and has a great battery life as well. you should stop this type of compairsion because even you your self said it was stable and battery life was good. tell the truth, you returned your treo pro after 25 hours of use, and went back to the blackberry because the screen wasn't as nice. he is not even talking about the screen.

if the guy is having problems texting while he "walk to drive", then the blackberry may not be much better for him. the front facing qwert keyboards on the two are too close to being the same. yes spacing may be a little more spread out on the blackberry, but even you said the keyboard on the treo pro was better than the blackberry curves keyboard.

i agree with trying the devices out him self, but he only gets one swap within the 30 days. he could get stuck with a blackberry and not be any happier.

source
    As you have experience in the last few months going through many devices BB ,WM ,BB , Garnet ,WM ,BB and now the Pro its always best for the user to give device test drive to finds what right for them.We could go back and forth driving this thread into 10 pages of debate yet it wouldn't provide that hands on experience that needed to make sure decision.
    When it comes to BB stable OS battery life the only thing going for it hmm I'm sure current BB users would disagree.
    As you have experience in the last few months going through many devices BB ,WM ,BB , Garnet ,WM ,BB and now the Pro its always best for the user to give device test drive to finds what right for them.We could go back and forth driving this thread into 10 pages of debate yet it wouldn't provide that hands on experience that needed to make sure decision.
    When it comes to BB stable OS battery life the only thing going for it hmm I'm sure current BB users would disagree.
    you are right. blackberry vs windows mobile, palm POS vs mindows mobile, palm POS vs blackberry, have been debated to death. no one can tell another what device will work best for them, only they can say for sure.

i have went on a hunt for years now looking for a device that was better than windows mobile. i have tried them all. spent a year with blackberry and was pretty happy. but..... in the long run, most power users, pda geeks, phone freaks, end up on windows mobile. there is just and endless amount of things you can do with them. blackberry users are made of mostly people who dont want to do anything but talk and message with there devices. those blackberry users who want more, like you slingbox and my self, get fustrated with the limitations of the blackberry os. out of the box and with 3rd party support.

a guy needs to ask him self one real question...

will i be happy with a good phone to talk on and a good messaging device and not need to worry about needing more? if that's the case... blackberry is a great answer, not that windows mobile cant do that.

if he wants more from a device than just the basics, like what us geeks that hang out on these forums want, then windows mobile is one of the best answers. it has and endless ammount of possibilities.

even the blackberry forum members know they are limited to only so much there devices can do for them. they just feel those things aren't as important to them.
  20.    #20  
    Interesting post Cody and I think you've brought up a good point..... I really like my BB, but I'm bored with it. I'm not computer savvy, but I think I can read and learn a little at a time about WinMo.

One of the bigger complaints about the bb is the screen resolution. My understanding is the Pro has a high res screen but some people are complaining that it's washed out? Is that only in the sun or everywhere?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast