Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I see a lot of threads on here with people complaining about the quality of their 800ws, or their phones breaking or taking them back to the stores for various complaints.

Mine is fine. no problems now. battery is good, no hang ups, I've installed some stuff, uninstalled some stuff, dropped it many times... seriously. this thing is on the floor more then my shoes I think. And yet it only has one scratch on the side, and some lint in the corners of the screen. I do not use a protective case, just my jeans pockets. And I've never had to do a factory reset.

So before you all jump ship and complain about your devices, think about what YOU are doing to it. While there probably are some bad apples out there, any problems I've ever had with the phone are because I (or the other programs I installed on it) did something to it.

(of course this doesn't mean I won't be getting a pre... that things just sexy)
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpule View Post

So before you all jump ship and complain about your devices, think about what YOU are doing to it. While there probably are some bad apples out there, any problems I've ever had with the phone are because I (or the other programs I installed on it) did something to it.
    For some of us, the "killer apps" are what make the device. If a device can't support the applications we use with no problem on other devices. Only makes sense to move to another device .

I think we who moved on from the 800w totally considered what we're doing. That would be why we no longer use it. It does not work for our needs. Glad the 800w works for you and what you do. And hope it keeps working for you. Some of us had 800ws, that initially worked fine with the stock configuration after hard resets, but in time even that was not helping some of us. I experienced that with 2 Sprint Treo 800ws which I got direct from Sprint. Some have had 5 800ws and others have had the same issues with more than one. Each person has a certain tolerance level before they're going to move on. Sprint has moved on, so some people are moving on from the 800w simply because it's now outdated and not sold by any carriers. Again, glad it's working for you, if it worked for us who no longer use it we'd still have it.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I am kind of curious. What are these "killer apps" that people love to much? I've got what I want and feel I need and have never had to us a program that destroys my phone. Sports Tickers, Graphical Custimazation, dpi change, weather crap, alarms, gps.. What else are people looking for from their phones?
    The ability to use stand alone GPS would be one.
    My Treo 800w is likewise not crapping out, dead, or dying. Sprint, OTOH...cannot manage to get my prl updated. They sent me a replacement and couldn't update it either. I'm seinding it back since mine is fine...other than that pesky prl issue. <sigh>
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I still love my 800w. It's been very solid.
    But, I must admit, when I see hannip and zbop having so many issues with multiple 800ws, I pause.
    If my device continues to perform well, I'll be a happy camper.
    But, I am watching it like a hawk for the first signs of problems.
    If I can get close to a couple of years on it--and my wife's--I'll be in a good position to check out the Pre, which excites me, too.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The ability to use stand alone GPS would be one.
    True that would be spectacular and give the device more of a life for after I get a new phone in "end of the first half of 2009".

This is probably more of an issue with people using third-party gps apps like tom tom as Sprint Navigation and Google Maps require a connection to download maps. And those two have never steered me to a wrong location. Google Maps has also been good to me on some GeoCaching.
    I think the people who are on their first 800 will most likely stay with it.

For many of us who've had 2, 3, 4 devices we have moved on to better devices. Even many 800 die hards ditched it for a Touch Pro or Treo Pro. The traffic even in this forum is pretty much done.

Those killer features and settings Darnell is referring to:

Apps:
    YouTube App
    Update PRL App
    Update Profile App
    TouchFlo3D
    Audio Booster
    Video Out App
    Just to name a few.

The above are not real deal breakers but the issues below are:

Standalone GPS
    Muffled/Poor quality earpiece
    ActiveSync- Hit or Miss recognizing the device
    Horrid battery life

I can go on and on but you can read the bug list for yourself.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    True that would be spectacular and give the device more of a life for after I get a new phone in "end of the first half of 2009".

This is probably more of an issue with people using third-party gps apps like tom tom as Sprint Navigation and Google Maps require a connection to download maps. And those two have never steered me to a wrong location. Google Maps has also been good to me on some GeoCaching.
    Regarding GPS, it's really more a matter of wanting a device that performs as advertised. The 800w is advertised to perform as a stand alone GPS device, but cannot. And I have cases where I need the stand alone GPS functionality that was advertised.

And as I also mentioned, it was more issues than that. Read more of the old threads if you need more explaination, because many of us have already explained it the fullest of detail already.

Now you see some examples, enjoy your 800w.
    Mine was rock solid. I fully admit that the only reason I moved to the Touch Pro was my obsessive need to try out new phones. Now I get to obsess about whether my new one will be the Touch Pro 2 or the Pre. Decisions, decisions!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Michael, I am glad your device continues to be stable. Stability was not an issue I was overly concerned with, since the Bluetooth problems were an annoyance, not a real issue for me. My issue though was build quality. The key board was my issue. My devices are cased, never pocketed. Not abused, though heavily used. I miss the 800W's keyboard and design, but I do not miss the build quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    ...since the Bluetooth problems were an annoyance, not a real issue for me.
    And that's another of those matters of personal usage preference. The 800w's BT issues (some mention some other devices have similar issues, whatever, it's not a problem with my Touch Pro) made me temporarily ditch my Moto H680 headset. Having to deal with the low initial volume issue was too much of a hassle, which left me with an unused accessory. In addition, the volume when using the BT headset with "killer apps" such as BT Audio is not adjustable when using the 800w, because of its BT volume problems. It was a very big deal for me. It was not my sole reason, but all part of a "many", that was making the 800w more of a hassle for me personally than a benefit.
    Yeah, every call I received when wearing the BT headset required upping the volume. That issue was annoying, but I lived with it. The issue IS NOT there with the Touch Pro - I have yet to reset the volume on the headset on any of the 3 Motorola headsets I have. Frankly, the H500 is the best for the price.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Update: My Treo 800w is STILL Not Dead, Dying, or Craping out.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    But I got a Pre anyway!
    But I got a Pre anyway!
    LMAO. My wife got one and it's a neat device. Enjoy!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    My 800w is still working fine, but it's on the shelf thanks to a used Touch Pro I picked up on craigslist and which I'm liking for now.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    My 4th 800 is in my drawer. I am using the Treo Pro for now. Well until my boss buys me the new iPhone. My 800 isn't dying I don't think but rather very outdated looking and bored of charging the battery every few hours. Probably sell it on ebay here shortly.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    still on my first 800w and working like a champ...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mine works great and is 100% reliable.(Except speakerphone has always been distorted,and with so so earpiece clarity.Also clean with MemMaid about 2x a month)
    I was thinking going to Pro,but I cant risk missed calls and whats up with web pages taking twice as long to load?
    PRE looks tempting but I can wait a year for my contract to end and for Palm to get the poor reception bugs out.
    I may shell out $7 for a new Ebay battery.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast