Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I lost everything on my 8gb microSD card.

It would not even read it when I use the adapter to read from my PC.

I was just transfering files and taking it in and out a few times on my PC by yanking it out without stopping it. I thought I dont need to on the Vista?

I only lost my photos taken on the phone as programs and contact are always back up.

This is unreal.

Had it happen to you?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I lost everything on my 8gb microSD card.

It would not even read it when I use the adapter to read from my PC.

I was just transfering files and taking it in and out a few times on my PC by yanking it out without stopping it. I thought I dont need to on the Vista?

I only lost my photos taken on the phone as programs and contact are always back up.

This is unreal.

Had it happen to you?
    You really should do it in Vista as well. When you insert it, you should see a little icon on the lower right task bar that looks at any external USB devices. I see one when ever I plug in my iPod.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I do it from now onwards.

I dont trust these things anymore. I am going to do backup also.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    But how is it that u lost everything on the SD? did u delete them by mistake?
    chong it seems that you have lost everything for no reason... DOH!

Next time this happens run check disk from command line with the params /F /R /X this would have cleared it up. The fact that you were able to reformat it says teh drive was still good.

Also next time if you cant get check disk to work try unstoppable coppier works wonders on damaged drives, so long as it can get access.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Well I plug it on both of my external USB drives and the first thing when I click on the drive, it ask me if I want to reformat it. Totally hosted?

I plug it to my external drive and after I finish copy something, I hot pull my SD adapter with my microSD in it. I done it a few times while it is on focus on my window. The next thing I know, the microSD could not be recognized.
    That's a good reason why I now keep a backup of my microSD on my laptop and I update the info like every week or so.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    The only backup I need to do is the photo from my phone. Others like contact are done thru my desktop Outlook and software can always be reinstalled.

I dont even trust hard drive. For that I use Microsoft SyncToy.
    Hey Chong67 I also use Microsoft SyncToy to back up my c drive to my external USB 2.0 drive, I have become OCD with backing up my external drive every time I log into my laptop.
    Yeah, i usually hot pull the devices to.... I am just to lazy to click stop the device even though I know the possible effects. Usually the errors are caused by a delayed write sequence that has not completed yet.

The command line sequence will correct the corrupt mbr and or any damaged sectors on the drive. I have done this for many people that think they have lost their data. The real problem is when you plug the drive in and it doesnt even recognize you did something or on older machines it freezes.

Never do the reformat next time if its on your PC for one of these do what I said in the last post. However once you remove your data to a safe location then I would reformat the drive. And then just copy your files back on.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Well I plug it on both of my external USB drives and the first thing when I click on the drive, it ask me if I want to reformat it. Totally hosted?i
    no the fact that it asks you to format it basically means that something was corrupted as I said. Just try cmd.exe and run chkdsk /F/R/X on the drive, just note you may get an error message when accessing from my computer/explorer, you should still be able to do from cmd so long as the device isnt totally fried.If its fried you will know, there is no saving a fried msd card.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    OK, I will be more careful next time. And I'll do the DOS command prompt thing.

I got Vista and I try end the USB connection on the lower right of the screen and it would not do it.

I went to MSFT website and tell me to shut off my computer then pull it out. Say what?

I can safely say this. If you are transfer like 1-2 mb, just use ActiveSync.

If it is have something 800MB or more, I would use a USB adapter. Please be careful and dont do hot pull if you can. I think to be safe, just close Window Explorer perhaps to loose focus???

It all depends on how long you want to wait.
    OK, I will be more careful next time. And I'll do the DOS command prompt thing.
    Try something else, here, too. Before you try a reformat, put the card back in your phone. Then use File Explorer to go to the card. Look for a file ending in .menc . If there is one, then everything's been encrypted because you pulled out the card at the wrong time. An MS "feature" in WinMo 6.1 to prevent data theft by grabbing the card out of a phone. Any programs inside that encrypted file will still run, not sure if your contact program can still find the pics. You can't explore inside it. And the needed encryption key is only on the original phone - you can't stick the card in another phone & have the encryption file read. At least so far, there's no way to extract files from it. And, if you have to hard reset, you also lose the encryption key, making the contents of the file unusable.

Make sure encryption is turned off.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    It cannot read or recognized the card when I put it in my phone.

I found now that all on my microSD card that I chuck in and hot pull, all of them are mess up!

I think its my USB reader.

I am trying another USB reader and doing the hot pull and nothing bad happen yet. I am still very cautious. Right now I am transfering file thru my ActiveSync which is slow. I dont dare to pull my microSD out of my Pro anymore.
    It's not uncommon for SD and MicroSD to become corrupt. There's something with the implementation that lends itself to corruption. It's weird; I've never had a problem with Memory Sticks, but SD/MicroSD (esp. MicroSD) occasionally corrupt and require a reformat.

Pain in the ****, but that's why I backup regularly.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am thinking that not all SD reader/writer are made the same.

This USB reader/writer does 1.5x faster than my other one that I bought for .35cents.
    I am thinking that not all SD reader/writer are made the same.

This USB reader/writer does 1.5x faster than my other one that I bought for .35cents.
    Amen to that - all SD card readers are NOT the same; they can be flakey and zap the card, causing corruption (and forcing you to reformat).

I find it I am using one from a "decent" manufacturer, (ex. Sandisk), they are fine. When I am using another cheap brand, it's russian roulette. I would think they all come out of the same factory in China and should work the same, but that is not the case.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Now I know. Those .35 cents USB readers are worthless from ebay. In fact, I bought two.

This USB reader seems to be holding on. I trust it for now to go as far safe as hot pull. So far no toast yet.

I think if any of you dont trust anything, go to read user's comment like from newegg about a particular USB reader. Thats all I can go for now.