Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Need beta testers to try out this port of the Palm Threaded SMS app from the Treo 800w.

There are two cabs. One for the Sprint Treo Pro and another for the GSM Treo Pro.

Some known issues with this beta:
    - No notification icon appears on the today screen when an sms comes in. This is actually a bug with the original program.
    - MMS voice record fails initialization. Most likely due to different hardware.
    - MMS receive fails on download step. (Sprint only)

Muffnician reported that sMMS works as a workaround to view MMS for Sprint users. Also go to Menu->Options in the Palm SMS app and uncheck the checkbox for "Automatically collect MMS Messages" to avoid getting download errors. GSM users can ignore this. You don't have this limitation.

Note that you will not be able to access or transfer your outlook sms messages into Palm SMS. Well maybe you can transfer 10 at a time each time Palm SMS starts., but there is no other way to do it

Installation instructions:
    1) BACKUP your device using Sprite.
    2) Download and extract the cab from the zip file and install it on your device.
    3) Soft reset the device (use a program to do this to be safe)
    4) When the device boots go to the Today screen settings to position/enable/disable the plugins as desired.
    5) There will be a link in Programs called "Palm Messaging". This should open Palm sms. It should also show up in the Button settings so you can assign it to a key.

That's it.

Test sending and receiving sms and mms messages. Report any issues you find.

Thanks to cjohnson19401 for creating some webspace for me to upload the cab files for those that don't have access to rapidshare.

For Sprint Treo Pro:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    you can also get it here.
    http://carlnet.no-ip.org/phone/hanni...MS%20beta1.zip

For GSM Treo Pro on AT&T/Cingular:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    you can also get it here.
    http://carlnet.no-ip.org/phone/hanni...SM%20beta2.zip

Uninstall instructions:
    1) Go to Start->Settings (Personal tab) and select the Today settings icon.
    2) Select Items tab and uncheck boxes for "Messaging" and "Inbox".
    3) Hit ok to refresh the today screen.
    4) Soft reset
    5) After boot go to Start->Settings (System Tab) and select the Remove Programs icon.
    6) Select Palm Messaging and click Remove.
    7) Soft reset
    Last edited by hannip; 05/07/2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: sMMS workaround for Sprint users
    I installed it on my GSM Treo pro, God how did you did this miracle! You deserve all the kudos of treocentral...I'm still trying it out, I will let you know about the notification issues & I still have not attempted to send a confirmed MMS msg.
  3.    #3  

I assume it must be working for sms on the GSM version then. Awesome.

I'm sure you'll need to tweak the registry for mms support to your specific carrier's settings before it will work for that.
    Hannip, what I need to do for mms services is change the gateway settings, which on your cab they are defaulted to sprintPCS mms service settings. I will google them now, thx hannip.
    right on. testing now.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    just sent a txt to a buddy on AT&T and he replied, so, so-far-so-good, hehehe......
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    mms message sent to my self. when i recieved the message i had option to download now. error came back saying "message transfer failed". my account was working fine the other day.

when i log onto the sprint picture mail site, i see the picture i sent to my self. this tells me mms sending it working. it seems to be just a problem recieveing (downloading).

normal sms messages seem to be working fine.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    mms message sent to my self. when i recieved the message i had option to download now. error came back saying "message transfer failed". my account was working fine the other day.

when i log onto the sprint picture mail site, i see the picture i sent to my self. this tells me mms sending it working. it seems to be just a problem recieveing (downloading).

normal sms messages seem to be working fine.
    Yeah, saw the same thing. Never tried mms on my 800w so dunno if downloading worked there or not. Guess we should dig through Ebag's mms thread for clues.
    can someone post the mms settings for at&t GSM messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Yeah, saw the same thing. Never tried mms on my 800w so dunno if downloading worked there or not. Guess we should dig through Ebag's mms thread for clues.
    wasn't there an update for mms on the 800w after it was released? maybe thats where the missing files are. i will look

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...messaging.html

testing now.
    wasn't there an update for mms on the 800w after it was released? maybe thats where the missing files are. i will look

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...messaging.html

testing now.
    that was just a few reg edits which you already included in your cab. that was not the fix. hmmmm, still looking.

good job though hannip.

cody
    Can somebody post the MMS settings for at&t please.
    this is what i was thinking about. looks like it was for the wm6.1 threaded sms i think... http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-released.html
    Hannip you are a man of great intellegence and manliness! I was missing this app a lot from my 800w days. I have this loaded on my STP and works great. I can confirm SMS and MMS picts and video send and receive just like the 800w. I love the smilies (which I missed from my 800w). I can confirm the voice record pulls up an error. I never used this anyhow. One thing that could be improved maybe, I notice it doesn't leave the text icon on the screensaver like the native program. This is nice when I walk by the phone I can see if something a message is waiting without turning it on. Thanks for the effort, you made my day!
    Guys, can you explain why you want the 800w threaded SMS on the Pro? The Pro had threaded SMS; is the one on the 800w better? Is the screen/layout different/better? (I guess screenshots would help.)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by freshsmile View Post
    Hannip you are a man of great intellegence and manliness! I was missing this app a lot from my 800w days. I have this loaded on my STP and works great. I can confirm SMS and MMS picts and video send and receive just like the 800w. I love the smilies (which I missed from my 800w). I can confirm the voice record pulls up an error. I never used this anyhow. One thing that could be improved maybe, I notice it doesn't leave the text icon on the screensaver like the native program. This is nice when I walk by the phone I can see if something a message is waiting without turning it on. Thanks for the effort, you made my day!
    Gee thanks.

So you said you can send and receive MMS ok? When you receive an MMS do you get the error downloading the media that Cody and I are seeing? Did the 800w have this issue?

For the screensaver may I suggest that you use Treo Alert (plug). The Palm SMS app stores the unread count in a different place in the registry and Treo Alert will make sure both get set so the screensaver will show you have texts pending. Plus Treo Alert is good at nagging you when you have alerts waiting for you to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Guys, can you explain why you want the 800w threaded SMS on the Pro? The Pro had threaded SMS; is the one on the 800w better? Is the screen/layout different/better? (I guess screenshots would help.)
    The 800w came with Palm's threaded SMS. Yes we all know WM6.1 came with its own threaded SMS, but some of us like Palm's better. The Pro did not come with Palm's threaded SMS, so hannip is giving us the ability to do it on the Pro.

edit: why i'm looking forward to this, is that the built-in threaded SMS has a couple minor, but annoying bugs. One that has been documented is the 'unread sms' bug, where if you don't specifically highlight an SMS that was sent to you, it continues being 'unread'. Another annoyance i have routinely experienced is that when i open an sms conversation to reply, a letter or two that I type is sometimes not registered, so i have to go back to the beginning of the first word and re-add the missing letter(s). Dunno if anyone else is experiencing that though....
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I guess you've missed all of the complaints about the WM threaded SMS. I personally can't stand it.

I'll post some screenshots later unless someone else beats me to it.
    I too welcome a fully working version of the 800w threaded SMS.
    Actually hannip, you are right the receiving mms does not work. I get the error code "invalid destination address or Invalid msg info - error - message format - corrupt. So it will receive SMS, not MMS on my STP. Dave
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast