Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by strongsteve View Post
    I can send mms but I cant receive them.. I get the download failed message.. How are yall coming with this?
    Still nothing yet. I assume you have a Sprint one right? The GMS works 100%, the Sprint can send out, but not receive. Hannip has been working on this, probably harder than he will admit, but nothing yet. A few of us have started using the $5 app sMMS to over come this until Hannip can get it working. As much as I miss having threaded MMS (finally), the Microsoft factory app was just unbearable. The positives for this 800W app FAR outweigh the negatives. If MMS is a big thing for you (was for me, I use it for work a lot), than just get the $5 sMMS app until hannip gets this working.
    Hey Hannip, is there any way to make your 800W threaded SMS app display in the "messaging" program (the one that lists your email accounts, and used to list the sms app)?
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Hey Hannip, is there any way to make your 800W threaded SMS app display in the "messaging" program (the one that lists your email accounts, and used to list the sms app)?
    If you mean Poutlook, no, they are different apps.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Bump for progress check on receive....

Hannip, do you think the issue is with how Sprint is translating Picturemail?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Since I bumped this thread, I felt compelled to contribute (try to anyway). After some time reading (and boy Hannip, you do get around), I discovered something interesting. When I try Hannips test mms.sprintpcs.com.... url from my desktop using IE or Firefox I immediately downloaded the WAP mms package (about 20K: some headers, a binary jpg, and test 5 text) after the browser said it did not know how to handle the application/vnd.wap.mms-message MIME type, but when I tried it using my treo 800 IE, STP IE, STP Skyfire, and the WM 6 Emulator I got what appeared to be nothing downloaded -- no prompts, just nothing.

So what I tried next was to write my own small browser that would just read the response stream and see what I get. Interestingly when I first ran it it seemed only download the message ID (roughly the first 25 bytes of the file -- I could look at the "retrieved" text/page which I stored in a string variable)... it would appear that my browser got the same thing as the others. But this did not make sense because I was just reading the stream, not trying to render or interpret.

So I looked at each character as it came in using a binary read... and discovered that right after the 25 bytes of message ID was a null (0) -- end of string. So that explains why nothing seemed to download. Which then pointed me towards the headers... The headers were all intact and had the appropriate mime type:application/vnd.wap.mms-message. If so then, why didn't IE or anything else prompt me to download the file? Perhaps because there wasn't an appropriate handler for that type. So I looked in HKCR\MIME\Database\ContentType to see if there was a type for this application and there wasn't. My thinking is the mime type needs to make sure the PalmMMS app handles the file directly (instead of the the hooks to Arcsoft) and security needs to allow it.

Ok so maybe the mime-type/handler has something to do with it or maybe not... either way I am tired now, its 3:30am and I started 'round the time of my above bump post. So I leave you guys with this and the last few things I was looking at:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=10428 This one looked promising

Collin R. Mulliner Search for "NotiFlood" and read the first post that has it in it.

Google Translate Yes, I know its in Chinese/Mandarin/whatever...

http://verizonwireless.howardforums....&postcount=105 Some seemingly related registry items
    Last edited by insol; 05/28/2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Just tried some of the fixes from my testing last night... none seem to work. Hannip's cab seems to have the right registry keys... and things ought to be working...

When I look at the detail for the downloaded messages it says message-format-corrupt like everyone else.

If I try setting HKLM\Security\PushRouter\Registrations\ ByCTAndAppId\application/vnd.wap.mms-message;

to ArcMMSPR I still get the error but do not get a download link in the program....

EDIT:

Ok... I guess I oughta have read the entire thread before chasing these ghosts. If I change the above to ArcMMSPR, oddly ArcSoft downloads the MMS (I can see its notification icon), but it then strips the picture off (doing god knows what with it) and the text portion of the message shows in the Palm messaging app with no download link or reference to the MMS image.

I suspect ArcSoft is sticking the message in the standard inbox and the Palm App then imports it. Feeling a bit hopeless now, but I can definitely +1 Hannips findings (not that doubted him... just dint read first). However if the Palm app can be made to import MMS somehow... perhaps this might work (grasping now...smh).
    Last edited by insol; 05/28/2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Well, the SMMS app (SprintMMS) works fine for MMS until Hannip or one of the other smart guys can come along and help fix it. I wonder if the SMMS guys would be willing to help try and figure this out, or if they see this as a profitable opportunity (since they require a $5 "Donation" for the app to work).
    Hello All,

FYI, after installing the Palm Threaded SMS app, I noticed my new Sprint Treo Pro would not:

1) notify me by displaying the new text message on-screen,
    2) play a sound file when a new message arrived, and
    3) the ability to assign a sound file to a new arriving message was not available in the "Sounds & Notifications" setting because the event "Messaging: New Message (Palm)" wasn't visible or installed.

After reinstalling the Palm Threaded SMS App OVER the current installation (not uninstalling the app, then reinstalling it), all of the above issues were fixed and new texts were delivered properly (the text of new SMS were displayed on the Today screen with "Treo Classic" sound played, and the ability to customize the sound file in the "Sounds & Notifications" setting was available).

However, upon uninstalling the SMS app (per hannip's detailed instructions in post #1 of this thread), then reinstalling the SMS app, I came across the same problems. I found these issues could only be fixed by reinstalling the SMS app twice (over the current installation).

I just received my new Treo Pro from the Sprint store several hours ago and have not installed any other applications, with the exceptions of:

1) Total Commander CE v.2.5 PB2,
    2) PHM Registry Editor v0.70 for Pocket PC, and
    3) an OTA PRL update

Any input you’d like to share may be helpful in the further development of this SMS app but isn’t presently needed by me since everything (new app, phone, etc.) seems to be working fine now. I am wondering, though, if anyone else experienced this? Or is this a sign either my new phone is possibly defective (since I have not come across this issue throughout this thread)?

Thanks!
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    Just tried some of the fixes from my testing last night... none seem to work. Hannip's cab seems to have the right registry keys... and things ought to be working...

When I look at the detail for the downloaded messages it says message-format-corrupt like everyone else.

If I try setting HKLM\Security\PushRouter\Registrations\ ByCTAndAppId\application/vnd.wap.mms-message;

to ArcMMSPR I still get the error but do not get a download link in the program....

EDIT:

Ok... I guess I oughta have read the entire thread before chasing these ghosts. If I change the above to ArcMMSPR, oddly ArcSoft downloads the MMS (I can see its notification icon), but it then strips the picture off (doing god knows what with it) and the text portion of the message shows in the Palm messaging app with no download link or reference to the MMS image.

I suspect ArcSoft is sticking the message in the standard inbox and the Palm App then imports it. Feeling a bit hopeless now, but I can definitely +1 Hannips findings (not that doubted him... just dint read first). However if the Palm app can be made to import MMS somehow... perhaps this might work (grasping now...smh).
    Thanks for feeling my pain Insol.

I don't know why Sprint has to do things differently. The thing I can't get over is that it all works on the Alltel Treo Pro which leads me to believe that it's something Sprint is doing non-standard that the Palm app is choking on. I've tried changing the user agent string to see if that makes a difference, but I think Sprint just ignores it. My guess is that they check what device you have activated on your account and they force it on their end to do something special just for the Treo Pro.

If I only knew some Sprint tech geek that is in the know... I haven't actually tried calling tech support about this yet to verify my theory.
  10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by ManLee View Post
    Hello All,

FYI, after installing the Palm Threaded SMS app, I noticed my new Sprint Treo Pro would not:

1) notify me by displaying the new text message on-screen,
    2) play a sound file when a new message arrived, and
    3) the ability to assign a sound file to a new arriving message was not available in the "Sounds & Notifications" setting because the event "Messaging: New Message (Palm)" wasn't visible or installed.

After reinstalling the Palm Threaded SMS App OVER the current installation (not uninstalling the app, then reinstalling it), all of the above issues were fixed and new texts were delivered properly (the text of new SMS were displayed on the Today screen with "Treo Classic" sound played, and the ability to customize the sound file in the "Sounds & Notifications" setting was available).

However, upon uninstalling the SMS app (per hannip's detailed instructions in post #1 of this thread), then reinstalling the SMS app, I came across the same problems. I found these issues could only be fixed by reinstalling the SMS app twice (over the current installation).

I just received my new Treo Pro from the Sprint store several hours ago and have not installed any other applications, with the exceptions of:

1) Total Commander CE v.2.5 PB2,
    2) PHM Registry Editor v0.70 for Pocket PC, and
    3) an OTA PRL update

Any input you’d like to share may be helpful in the further development of this SMS app but isn’t presently needed by me since everything (new app, phone, etc.) seems to be working fine now. I am wondering, though, if anyone else experienced this? Or is this a sign either my new phone is possibly defective (since I have not come across this issue throughout this thread)?
    By chance are you hitting the reset button when doing resets instead of using a program to reset the phone for you? There is a well know issue with registry edits that don't stick if you use the reset hole or remove the battery to soft reset your phone shortly after making the change. That sounds like what you are experiencing.
    is there anyway or program to see MMS with the treo800 sms application? the sMMS doesn't work for me because i don't have a picture mail account. (i pay per MMS)
  12.    #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by fresar View Post
    is there anyway or program to see MMS with the treo800 sms application? the sMMS doesn't work for me because i don't have a picture mail account. (i pay per MMS)
    Not that I know of for the Sprint Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    hi i actually regged just so i could make this post

first of all thank you to all the people who work hard to make wonderful apps for ppc users like all of us who use them. i sincerely appreciate it, and i also loved this particular program. in that light, it may seem kind of obnoxious for me to make requests/suggestions, especially since i cannot contribute to the cause due to not knowing whatever it is i would need to know to do that sort of thing. despite that, i am hoping because of the great kindness of those who invest time and effort to help others, my remarks will not be found upsetting.

therefore, i would like to ask if two features could be added to the sms program.

firstly, in the original WM sms app when you were notified of a new text mesage, you had several options from the today screen notification, including "save as read" and "delete", in addition to dismissing the alert. since i recieve lots of texts, these were important features for me, especially since i did not always have time to pay attention to all the alerts the main way i knew if i had unread texts was to glance at the today screen and see if it said so. with the old program i lived by the delete and save as read options, so if i had not yet read something, it would be easy to keep track of.

secondly, and perhaps this could be a feature that could be toggled on and off, i think it would be nice if people had the option to make it so that whenever you visited your inbox, even without seeing a particular conversation thread, (or perhaps just highlighting a particular thread without actually having to read it,) would mark it as read.

thank you very much for your time, effort, and patience!

oh, p.s. not so important (to me, at least) , but interesting anyway, was that in the old WM app after you had sent a message (not from within a conversation, but just from your contacts or whatever,) the messaging screen would just go away all by itself and you could just get right back to whatever you were doing. i thought that was kinda neat.

thanks again!
    Last edited by fruithead; 06/03/2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: forgot one more thing
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I don't know why Sprint has to do things differently. The thing I can't get over is that it all works on the Alltel Treo Pro which leads me to believe that it's something Sprint is doing non-standard that the Palm app is choking on. I've tried changing the user agent string to see if that makes a difference, but I think Sprint just ignores it. My guess is that they check what device you have activated on your account and they force it on their end to do something special just for the Treo Pro.
    Yah I am convinced the useragent (MMSUA) doesn't matter much (I played around changing this using a Firefox plug-in and it always gave the same MMS multi-part package).

After some thought, I suspect that the MMS part of the package coming from the gateway is compressed or something and the Palm MMS app doesn't decompress/handle it. The packages is getting to the app otherwise it would not be getting the first/text part of the MMS message. Your trace seems to support that. It is the second part of the package that seems to cause probs and make the Palm app give the message-format-corrupt generic error. In looking at the file parts it should be possible to save the image and have it really be a usable image. My binary read and write did not create a image file (not one that could be read with any normal image viewer anyway, but I easily could have screwed something up), so I cannot tell what that part of the package is.

My guess at this point, is that the Palm app doesn't handle the compressed (encoded?) image part of the MMS package. So the only way to get it to work is to somehow trick the gateway into sending the image uncompressed (perhaps something in the MMSUAProf/rdf -- I did try a few different ones of these too, with no luck). If you are right about them forcing special stuff for the treo pro (and my random rdf testing seems to support your theory -- perhaps the "special" stuff is that compression), then it doesn't look promising.

ARCMMS does have that hmac-md5-key registry setting in the WSPheader key, providing further evidence for some sort of hash/compression/encoding. Perhaps the Palm App has its own version of this MD5 setting. An interesting test would be to compare an MMS package from a GSM/Alltel gateway to the one from Sprint -- my bet is the image is raw on GSM/Alltel. Can you get a package from an Alltel message?

BTW, what trace program did you use to see what was happening -- I was flying blind.
    Forgive my potential ignorance, but since we can't currently receive MMS natively in this app on Sprint... is it possible to set it up so the app will *send* MMS but the app will not try to receive, but rather just receive the text message notification with a link to the Picture Mail website like it used to be before?
    Man, this is what I needed. Sure, I loved the MMS integration, but the native WM SMS program was terrible after having the Palm program on my 700wx and 800w. I too wouldn't mind just going back to having a link appear, but I suppose sMMS will do for now. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    any updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Will this make it work?
    Thanks Happip I will try changing that reg value.
    i just wanted to say that this Palm Threaded SMS Messaging App is amazing i dont know how you did this but unfortunately i had to remove it because i use The MMS alot, but have you ever tried upload This App to Sprint Programming Devolper Website.
    Hi all, quick question. I like the palm sms much better than the WM6.1 pro one. My question is, if I use the Palm one can I back up the text messages? Or do you do the full back up to SD kind of thing to save them? I've not used a 800w before but when it synced did it save the text msg databse like Palm Hotsync did? And if so, will STP do the same thing with the Palm sms on it?

Thanks!