Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does it exist? Will someone port this app? I don't think it's as necessary since the Pro has 50% more battery capacity (1500 MAh vs 1050 MAh), but still I would use it to get MAX battery power especially since I love leaving the screen on full brightness and sometimes i venture out for long periods of time (even with spare battery) and need to conserve as much as possible since I get important text messages, etc...
    Keylight (Treo Pro edition)

Description:
    This program allows you to toggle your keyboard lights, similar to the 700wx versions of Keylight by Slinghann or Pocketmax.

Install:
    1) Install KeylightTreoPro.CAB to your device
    2) Soft-reset (required)

Usage:
    Just use the Keylight shortcut installed under Programs to toggle the keylight state or you can map this to a hardware key by going to Start -> Settings -> Buttons.

If you install the "Push Side Button" CAB found here, you can assign Keylight to a single side button press.

Keylight supports command-line arguments if you want to call it from Mortscript, for example:
    Keylight.exe -toggle
    Keylight.exe -on
    Keylight.exe -off

Notes:
    The keylight brightness-level is variable on the Treo Pro, and is kept in sync with the screen backlight brightness-level. This is different than the behavior on the 700wx where the keylights are either at max brightness-level OR off.

Keylight state should be preserved upon soft-reset.

If you keylight state is set to OFF, whenever there is a power state change (i.e. plug in AC or USB, or your phone is turned on) your keylights may briefly flash before being turned off. Unfortunately, this can't be avoided; the driver insists on turning the keylight back on during these transitions, so I had to counteract that. You'll notice the same effect if you change the brightness level when keylight is turned OFF.

There is a KeylightMon link in your Startup folder now, it is required to enforce the keylight state but it has an extremely small memory and CPU footprint (it only uses 6k and absolutely no CPU until there is a power state change)

This has only been tested on a Sprint Treo Pro, if someone tries this on a GSM Treo Pro, please post your results.

Acknowledgements:
    Hannip, Slingbox, Bruce at pocketmax.net
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zbop; 05/09/2009 at 02:22 PM.
    wx Treo keylight sort of app ,sounds like a winner ,I will look into when my Pro arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I don't think it exists yet. I may be getting a Pro soon, if so I'll take a look at it.

With the 800w, I let Hannip and Ebag go first and figure out all the hard stuff, then I took whatever was left

Maybe Cody or Sling will jump on it since they are packin' Treos again.
    Woot! Hope to see you with a Pro soon.

I'm liking the Pro so far. Very solid device, but needs to be covered, at least on the back side to keep your fingers off of it. The keyboard, well, is not an 800w keyboard which is my biggest complaint. My device hasn't froze up once yet and I haven't had to soft reset it even after doing some crazy stuff to it.

What is most impressive is how well slingplayer works on the Pro. I get 29fps with hardly any stuttering. I've watched whole movies without any issues. Didn't get too hot or didn't notice since I have a case on the back. Good stuff.
  5.    #5  
    i think you hit the nail right on the donkey hannip. It's give and take, the Pro keyboard is not nearly as good as the perfect keyboard on the 800w. I can FLY on the 800, where as i need to take my time on the pro and often i am hitting the wrong buttons. I wish i had tiny little fingers. I catch myself using the virtual keyboard more often now. I am definately thinking about a cover but i hate anything that hinders quick battery door removal for resets and switching out batteries. Luckily the PRO needs less of this activity (so far). I would LOVE a rubberized back plate like the 800w had for grip and less fingerprints. I had one scare where i thought the device froze up but eventually did repsond and worked fine afterwords. Today I got my first random reboot when i went into contacts has been fine since. Thats the kind of unexplaiend crap that bothers me with Winmo tho.

Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Woot! Hope to see you with a Pro soon.

I'm liking the Pro so far. Very solid device, but needs to be covered, at least on the back side to keep your fingers off of it. The keyboard, well, is not an 800w keyboard which is my biggest complaint. My device hasn't froze up once yet and I haven't had to soft reset it even after doing some crazy stuff to it.

What is most impressive is how well slingplayer works on the Pro. I get 29fps with hardly any stuttering. I've watched whole movies without any issues. Didn't get too hot or didn't notice since I have a case on the back. Good stuff.
  6.    #6  
    a leather backplate would be really cool and stylish too like the blackberry edge has too
  7.    #7  
    Anyone get a chance to look at this? I may take a hack at it, but not sure how to setup the DEV env. I was a C#/.NET programmer for 2 years prior to my current job where I develop in webMethods and Java.
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    Anyone get a chance to look at this? I may take a hack at it, but not sure how to setup the DEV env. I was a C#/.NET programmer for 2 years prior to my current job where I develop in webMethods and Java.
    well, i dont know if this is has gone public or not, but zbop has gotten the treo pro. he is working on a few things and this is one of them. my guess is we will have it by sunday night.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    No pressure zbop.
  10.    #10  
    well alright then! I don't want to step on any toes here :-)
    You are welcome to try, but I know on the 800w I think it was a matter of figuring out the ioctl call that the brightness app was sending to the backlight driver to refresh after changing the registry values for keylight brightness. Not exactly easy to do. I'm not sure how zbop does his magic.
    Keylight is a must have on the 800! One thing I am wondering though, and I could be mistaken, but I could swear that I've noticed that when on battery power, a lot of times the keyboard lights don't come on at all, or at least they go out long before my backlight turns off. I have had times where I have been typing a text or email and there were no keyboard lights at all. Am I the only one? Am I (not) seeing things?
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Keylight is a must have on the 800! One thing I am wondering though, and I could be mistaken, but I could swear that I've noticed that when on battery power, a lot of times the keyboard lights don't come on at all, or at least they go out long before my backlight turns off. I have had times where I have been typing a text or email and there were no keyboard lights at all. Am I the only one? Am I (not) seeing things?
    The Treo 750 was like this also. There was a separate timer for the keylights and also separate brightness levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    The Treo 750 was like this also. There was a separate timer for the keylights and also separate brightness levels.
    Is there somewhere to configure that? I sure haven't seen it if there is. Otherwise I will wait patiently for Keylight. Mapping the side button single press to that should've been standard for the treos IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Is there somewhere to configure that? I sure haven't seen it if there is. Otherwise I will wait patiently for Keylight. Mapping the side button single press to that should've been standard for the treos IMHO.
    HKCU\ControlPanelBacklight\QKeyLedTimeout

Currently set to 10 seconds, but my keylights seem to turn off when the backlight dims.

Edit: I tried the 750 reg settings on the Pro and it looks like they are just ignored by the backlight driver. Ah well. You knew it couldn't be that easy.
    Last edited by hannip; 04/06/2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Oh well, I'll just wait for "Keylight Pro" lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    well, i dont know if this is has gone public or not, but zbop has gotten the treo pro. he is working on a few things and this is one of them. my guess is we will have it by sunday night.
    Lol, gee thanks Cody, for not putting me on the spot... j/k

I'll check into it after looking at the LED support. I didn't get as much time over the weekend as I wanted to (spent more time playing and installing software etc).
    No please PLEASE step on my toes! We can always use more help in the hacking/coding department.

Not to discourage you, but Hannip is right, it's usually not that easy. If you're fortunate, there is a registry setting that can be tweaked to do this, but if not, it usually requires finding and using an undocumented driver-level API, sometimes even lower than that.

This typically involves getting a ROM dump, extracting the filesystem, disassembling a number of drivers, dlls, and executables. From there it's another 1 - 40 hours of analyzing the assembly code and reverse engineering the logic, and then a lot of trial and error. If you know ARM assembly language and are familiar with how drivers work, it ain't that hard, but otherwise you might want to start with something simpler.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    . If you're fortunate, there is a registry setting that can be tweaked to do this, but if not, it usually requires finding and using an undocumented driver-level API, sometimes even lower than that.

This typically involves getting a ROM dump, extracting the filesystem, disassembling a number of drivers, dlls, and executables. From there it's another 1 - 40 hours of analyzing the assembly code and reverse engineering the logic, and then a lot of trial and error. If you know ARM assembly language and are familiar with how drivers work, it ain't that hard, but otherwise you might want to start with something simpler.
    Uh... are you serious? Sounds like you are more than the average Geek (not that we didn't know that already). Seriously, not to be too nosy, but how did you learn all that stuff zbop? Do Hannip, Cody, and Ebag know how to do all this stuff as well?

I feel like I've stepped into a room full of PDA geniuses, and I barely qualify to install your cab files for you. But, I'm mighty glad to have y'all in here. Keep up the good work, Gentlemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Uh... are you serious? Sounds like you are more than the average Geek (not that we didn't know that already). Seriously, not to be too nosy, but how did you learn all that stuff zbop? Do Hannip, Cody, and Ebag know how to do all this stuff as well?

I feel like I've stepped into a room full of PDA geniuses, and I barely qualify to install your cab files for you. But, I'm mighty glad to have y'all in here. Keep up the good work, Gentlemen.
    Lol, yeah I am (serious).

Most of those guys are too humble to admit it, but you'd be surprised how much time and effort goes into creating their cabs (and code), even though it might seem simple on the surface. Like I said, it ain't that hard, just a matter of knowing the right stuff. Even though I'm not a Windows Mobile guy, my day job has provided me with a few skills that make it possible.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast