1.    #1  
    Well yesterday it finally happened. I got tired of my screwed up 755 and upgraded to a Pro. I liked the features on the 755 but it had been dropped one too many times and wouldn’t sync any more with the cable, and would randomly reboot. SO I went into ALLTEL and got a new phone. Since they didnt have the 755 in stock so I went with the Pro. I was in a bit of a hurry so after the gal programmed it I left.

When I got home I made a startling discovery. It wont make phone calls. It will text, email, go online, and all kinds of other neat stuff, but it wont make calls. If you call someone and it rings 3 times it disconnects, if they answer you better talk fast ( if the mic decides to work) because it will shut off in 15 - 27 seconds. Needless to say I am taking it back today as soon as the rain lets up enough for me to wade out to the truck.

Questions I have

1. Do I need a GPS reciever to use GPS? To a noob like myself it is a bit confusing to read the documentation on it.

2. What is the TV feature and how does it work? Can I watch broadcasts or do I have to download the programs and watch later - if so how do I do it?

It seems to be a good little gadget as soon as I get one I can use a a phone. I will see if I like it as much as my 755.
    1. GPS is built into the device.
    2. Can only speak for Sprint but we pay for this service and they have mobile channels that you can watch such as cnn and comedy central.

Hope that helps a little.
    I know at least the NFL channel is free w/ Sprint TV. Might be others. It streams the video. No downloading.

For other channels, movies etc, I use Slingplayer which works awesome on the Treo Pro.
  4.    #4  
    So with the GPS all i need is a program or is it already on the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhijr View Post
    Sprint Navigation is already on the phone, but unless you have the Simply Everything plan it's a fee based service. There are several threads on 3rd party GPS software here. Shouldn't be to hard to find.
    yea you can try Google Maps or Live Search (already on the phone) for starters.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhijr View Post
    I'm with Alltel and just picked up the Pro. I wanted to use the GPS feature without paying the $10/month for Alltel's Navigation software.

Palm sent me to support document 41587 to set up the GPS for Google Maps, but it still did not work (says "Your GPS receiver is having trouble.."). The minute I logged into the Altell Navigation software it activated the GPS, and Google Maps suddenly had access to the GPS as well. The minute I turned off the nav software the gps was deactivated.

So right now it's pay to play no matter what app you use. Anyone know of a hack to use the gps without Alltel's nav software?
    You can always go online and download google maps for free and it will work with the Pro's built-in GPS. That's what I've used on my GSM Treo Pro with at&t for almost a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by dl565 View Post
    I'm with Alltel and just picked up the Pro. I wanted to use the GPS feature without paying the $10/month for Alltel's Navigation software.

Palm sent me to support document 41587 to set up the GPS for Google Maps, but it still did not work (says "Your GPS receiver is having trouble.."). The minute I logged into the Altell Navigation software it activated the GPS, and Google Maps suddenly had access to the GPS as well. The minute I turned off the nav software the gps was deactivated.

So right now it's pay to play no matter what app you use. Anyone know of a hack to use the gps without Alltel's nav software?

I may have been premature with my original comments. I've been successful using the GPS with Googlemaps and Live Search without the Alltel Nav package. It just takes a few minutes for the apps to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dl565 View Post
    I may have been premature with my original comments. I've been successful using the GPS with Googlemaps and Live Search without the Alltel Nav package. It just takes a few minutes for the apps to connect.
    When I use Google Maps I see that. It also can vary on how long it takes to acquire satellites.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Yes, on some other WM phones you can actually download the satellite location data to cut down on the time it requires to fix on a signal - it effictively knows where to look! My Touch Diamond had it, not sure about the Pro...
    The CDMA version doesn't. The GSM version does.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Having just gone through this with my own Alltel Pro, I'm in a good position to shed light on this. Alltel apparently likes to play a fun game called 'oops the GPS is disabled by default, how'd you like to pay us ten bucks a month?' You have to explicitly enable the GPS in the phone's settings before it'll fire up, and if you ask Alltel's people about it, they'll feed you a line about having to pay for their map software to make it work.

What you do is this:

1. Start Menu
    2. Settings
    3. Phone (on the Personal tab)
    4. Services tab
    5. Highlight Location Setting and click on the Get Settings button.
    6. Scroll down to the bottom, and click On.

This turns on the GPS antenna, and you should be able to use it in any third-party apps from here on out.