View Poll Results: Which front end do you like best for your device?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • SPB Mobile Shell

17 62.96%
  • TouchFlo (Manilla 2d Port)

6 22.22%
  • Other

4 14.81%
  1.    #1  
    Interested to know how many people are using one of these and how they like it.

SPB Mobile Shell

Touchflo aka Manilla2d ported by XDA

Something else... maybe Winter or the Bell front end.

I am interested to see what your overall thoughts are.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    I have SPB Mobile Shell and like its simplicity. The ability to customise it a bit more would be nice (eg. remove the Mail icon, considering I don't use mail), but it's not the end of the world.

Tschüß,
    Brushy.
    I am using TouchFlo 2D. I would like to use SPB Mobile Shell, but I think it was the culprit in killing my phone's ringer. Whenever it was installed, my alarms would work but my phone wouldn't ring, regardless of the volume settings. I had to hard reset but since I put TouchFlo 2D on, I have not had any problems.
    I'm using Manila 2D as my primary shell, right now.

I also have the beta of Pointui Home 2.0 installed & switch to that part of the time. It's still beta, so there are still a few bugs. But it's close to production.

I have a copy of the Bell UI, but it will only run if it thinks it's on a Canada Bell phone. And I haven't seen anything as to what tweak (registry or otherwise) will fix that or how the tweak might effect the phone running on other networks.

And I'm waiting not so patiently to see how well SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 does on my Treo Pro with RealVGA set at 96dpi.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    And I'm waiting not so patiently to see how well SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 does on my Treo Pro with RealVGA set at 96dpi.
    same here
    AM trying out Manila 2D now. its quite nice. I quit on MS3 because it messed up my sound profiles and made my IE hang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    I am using TouchFlo 2D. I would like to use SPB Mobile Shell, but I think it was the culprit in killing my phone's ringer. Whenever it was installed, my alarms would work but my phone wouldn't ring, regardless of the volume settings. I had to hard reset but since I put TouchFlo 2D on, I have not had any problems.
    Yes, it was Mobile Shell. If you download it now the version number is 3.0.1 and the ringer issue is fixed.

The only other bug I can find is that the task manager icon (on the top left of the screen) is not working and they have been made aware of this.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    Yes, it was Mobile Shell. If you download it now the version number is 3.0.1 and the ringer issue is fixed.

The only other bug I can find is that the task manager icon (on the top left of the screen) is not working and they have been made aware of this.
    And they publicly refuse to support 96dpi. Which is wierd. It looks better at 96dpi on my phone, but won't work right.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    SPB crap messed up my ringers and phone stuff...how well does the other one work?>
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kg6bki View Post
    SPB crap messed up my ringers and phone stuff...how well does the other one work?>
    Very well. The original thread is here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html . There are helpful hints & links to useful utilities throughout the thread. The link to the xda-developers message with the download link is in the first message. When you go to xda, be sure to read all the instructions & notes in that message about things that don't work as expected.

I have a GTP, this version is the only one that worked well on my phone. Among the issues mentioned is the fact you can't just start dialing a number from the home page. I didn't think it was that big a deal to hit the green call button, then start dialing in the dialer. And the photo & faves pages create problems. Since I don't need or want to use them, I just don't include them in the rotation. You need the utilities mentioned in the thread to get Manila to do things like use a browser on the Internet page & to get home page to go to an alternate calendar program. I've attached a couple of screenshots. Those are using RealVGA at 96dpi.

There are several others floating around that use the flipclock. The one other one I tried had some of the above issues resolved, but left remnants on the screen when going from page to page. I've also gotten to like the analog hands for showing more of my wallpaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kraski; 05/30/2009 at 09:27 AM.
    I tried Manilla TD2D and had to delete it - 30 flippin Megs of storage for a shell!?!

I tried to add it to my phone and quickly ran out of space. Backing up to my Sprite backup of "Nothing but RealVGA" and installing from there left me with so little space that I wouldn't have room for my contacts, much less anything else (I have a LOT of contacts).

Haven't tried SPB and I doubt I will unless I hear of a RealVGA compatible release.

My self - regular ol' Today with various launchers and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo View Post
    I tried Manilla TD2D and had to delete it - 30 flippin Megs of storage for a shell!?!
    I dont mind that if it is more stable them MS3. does anyone actually use up the entire 300MB storage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kg6bki View Post
    the ringers issue is completely fixed on SPB mobile shell's latest update, although few other small problems remain
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I dont mind that if it is more stable them MS3. does anyone actually use up the entire 300MB storage?
    Oh those lucky Sprint users are so smug

Us poor GSM people are trying to shove all of our phone-hopes and phone-dreams into a chintzy 100 Mb of storage space
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo View Post
    Oh those lucky Sprint users are so smug

Us poor GSM people are trying to shove all of our phone-hopes and phone-dreams into a chintzy 100 Mb of storage space
    Or onto an 8 or 16 gig microsd card. You didn't try installing all of Manila into phone memory, did you?