1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,

I recently migrated my centro to the new pro, and have been using chattermail as my defauly mail client with the centro. This was an excellent software that allowed me to take advantage of IMAP idle for my Gmail accounts. Can someone tell my why microsoft has not included idle with windows mobile? Are there any stable programs out that that may be recommended for IDLE use in windows mobile? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Best,
    Andy K
    flexmail
    Andy,

I am also coming from the Centro and Chattermail. I have been trialling Emansio (Emansio: Push E-mail for your windows mobile). It is sort of a plug in to the native email program. I have been using it with Fastmail and I get an alert on my Treo in about 10 seconds after it hits my Fastmail account. I havent noticed a huge drain on battery life. So far I have been very impressed with it.

Jeff
    Because imap idle is an antiquated technology- that is why microsoft doesnt include it. No doubt chatter is a great program though.

If you are not going to go the exchange route I highly recommend seven beta. Google it and give it a few days
    Antiquated technology. Wow. Sure beats pop and sure beats SMS messages.
    If IMAP idle is antiquated, what has replaced it?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akular1 View Post
    Are there any stable programs out that that may be recommended for IDLE use in windows mobile?
    Andy, I've used Flexmail since 2007. I was also a die-hard Chatter user. Flexmail is very good at IMAP idle, and it's a better email client than Pocket Outlook - unless you also need Exchange 2007 support. I use both on my Treo Pro.

john
    Another vote for Flexmail.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  9.    #9  
    Hey everyone

Thanks so much for your responses. Looks like flexmail it is!

Andy
    I put up with Pocket Outlook on the 800W for less than a week or so and went with FlexMail. In another thread a user was complaining about the inability to navigate deeper than 1 folder - FlexMail handles sub folders very well. Nothing beats ChatterEmail, but FlexMail does a good job with what it has to work with.

Also, default applications are often not as good as third party ones. Why should Microsoft put extra effort with its mail client, as it works for most people. Those of us who need more move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If IMAP idle is antiquated, what has replaced it?
    EAS protocol and BB messaging to name two.

IMAP idle is only used with older legacy platforms. Anyone/Company that is making an investment today is not going imap idle. This renders it antiquated.

If you are thinking I mean that it is useless, or doesnt have any value to many users that is not my point. It is just that you are not going to see a new version or revision with added features. It has gone as far as it will go.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Microsoft's lack of support of IMAP IDLE has more to do with them wanting everyone to buy an Exchange server than how old the protocol is.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Microsoft's lack of support of IMAP IDLE has more to do with them wanting everyone to buy an Exchange server than how old the protocol is.
    Maybe partially- but Exchange runs the EAS protocol, it is not the protocol itself.

You could use EAS without exchange. I believe gmail has or is getting ready to release support for tasks, calender and contacts. This would use activesync in the same way exchange does so the two are not inherantly tied anymore.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Maybe, but the vast majority of people using EAS are using it to connect to an Exchange server