Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I just came across this:
    Looks like Karen lucked-out by getting the 1.04.

It just seems so obvious.
    Buy an Ebay 1.04 and get Palm/Sprint support.
    Buy a 1.03 and risk Palm/Sprint running the SN and saying; 'Sorry, your Device is Flagged for No Warranty.'
    Not sure if it makes any difference, but I do have TEP under Sprint. My whole transaction was over the phone so I'm not sure if they knew what version I had or not, but personally I wouldn't take the chance with 1.03. If I had received 1.03 from Ebay I would have sent it right on back. Thankfully all has worked out and Sprint is giving excellent customer service over this issue.

Karen
    I thought we all concluded there isn't a noticable difference between the two.

The concern now is some who got 1.03 Sprint Treo Pros have a SN that are Flagged for no Warranty.

Flashing to 1.04 doesn't resolve the issue that certain Ebay sellers are selling Sprint Treo Pros that Palm has Flagged.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I posted this up in the other thread stickied at the top:

I am going to toss in my 2 cents here... I ordered one from Sprint (1.04) at launch and the GF loved it, so I purchased one from EBay for her (1.03)... When I activated hers (via the web) it wouldn't do the OTA activation so I had to call in to manually program it, and had zero issues getting it set up... I have played with both side by side and the ONLY difference I have found is that when hers connects to the net (through IE or Iris) it opens a bubble that says "connecting phone as a modem" where as mine says "connecting to vision services (or something very similar)"... Well she went to turn hers on yesterday morning and realized that she had 2 dead pixels (that I swear were not there the day before) so i went to the local repair center (agent) and they "advance exchanged" (over-nighted her a new one) that she picked up today (1.04)... So everything worked out for her...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROpcs View Post
    I posted this up in the other thread stickied at the top:

I am going to toss in my 2 cents here... I ordered one from Sprint (1.04) at launch and the GF loved it, so I purchased one from EBay for her (1.03)... When I activated hers (via the web) it wouldn't do the OTA activation so I had to call in to manually program it, and had zero issues getting it set up... I have played with both side by side and the ONLY difference I have found is that when hers connects to the net (through IE or Iris) it opens a bubble that says "connecting phone as a modem" where as mine says "connecting to vision services (or something very similar)"... Well she went to turn hers on yesterday morning and realized that she had 2 dead pixels (that I swear were not there the day before) so i went to the local repair center (agent) and they "advance exchanged" (over-nighted her a new one) that she picked up today (1.04)... So everything worked out for her...
    Must have gotten unlucky Mine connects to Power Vision, not modem, and knock on wood, no issues yet. Mine also was set up OVA fine. The only bugs mine seems to have are little WM things, and something I think I am doing wrong with WiFi.

Doesn't much matter to me either way. This thing just needs to last me until the "Pre 2" with an SD card comes out, and sprint insured the phone in case I kill it (Seems like you did the same thing). People with Sprint Treo Pro's should also know that palm does NOT do ANY technical support for Sprint phones, period. If there is a warranty problem, such as a bad piece of hardware or a common problem etc. they may replace it for you if you don't have insurance, but you won't get Tech support from Palm even with a 1.04. The Palm phone message system goes straight to a sprint tech support number if you select Sprint from the list of carriers. If you have a 1.03, and you are REALLY that worried about it (which I don't think you should be), just insure the darn thing. Saves your **** if you drop it or kill it somehow, and you don't have to worry about the SN being flagged for a Palm screw up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    People with Sprint Treo Pro's should also know that palm does NOT do ANY technical support for Sprint phones, period. If there is a warranty problem, such as a bad piece of hardware or a common problem etc. they may replace it for you if you don't have insurance, but you won't get Tech support from Palm even with a 1.04.
    No. I have done lots of tech support with Palm, including several issues on my 800w and the Pro.

Many of us spoke at length to them on the GPS on the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No. I have done lots of tech support with Palm, including several issues on my 800w and the Pro.

Many of us spoke at length to them on the GPS on the 800w.
    Hm. Maybe I am too nice on the phone Whenever I call palm and go through the menus (last time was less than a week ago) after I choose Sprint as my carrier, the Palm voice thingy gives me a Sprint tech support number and says something about Sprint PCS handling all tech support on palm phones. Sprint did tell me to call palm about a problem with a 650, but palm only stayed on the phone for about 10 minutes, and said it was something sprint would have to take care of.
    I can confirm that there is an automated message on the Palm 'Help Line' that tells you to call Sprint. Just check out their support website for the 800w here:

Palm.com : Support: supportservices

A few months ago the USB charging port on my 800w broke. I called palm, who told me to call Sprint, who told me to call Palm again. I ended up going to a Sprint store and getting into a yelling match with a manager there (it really was ridiculous), and finally called Palm again. After about 30 mins on hold I was patched over to somewhere in Asia, where I had to again argue with someone for 30-45 mins in broken English, who finally agreed to exchange my phone for a refurb. I did advance exchange and the return envelope had the wrong zip code on it (I know this, because I photocopied it for tracking purposes before shipping it back to Palm). The refurb I got was a complete POS and the ringer switch literally fell off after a week of use...I didn't even bother trying to get it returned again. The whole situation was ridiculous. If you try to post a question over on the Palm help forums you get some sort of crappy canned response that doesn't even address the question half the time.

I realize that others may have more positive experiences, but for me, Palm support isn't worth a penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    I can confirm that there is an automated message on the Palm 'Help Line' that tells you to call Sprint. Just check out their support website for the 800w here:

Palm.com : Support: supportservices

A few months ago the USB charging port on my 800w broke. I called palm, who told me to call Sprint, who told me to call Palm again. I ended up going to a Sprint store and getting into a yelling match with a manager there (it really was ridiculous), and finally called Palm again. After about 30 mins on hold I was patched over to somewhere in Asia, where I had to again argue with someone for 30-45 mins in broken English, who finally agreed to exchange my phone for a refurb. I did advance exchange and the return envelope had the wrong zip code on it (I know this, because I photocopied it for tracking purposes before shipping it back to Palm). The refurb I got was a complete POS and the ringer switch literally fell off after a week of use...I didn't even bother trying to get it returned again. The whole situation was ridiculous. If you try to post a question over on the Palm help forums you get some sort of crappy canned response that doesn't even address the question half the time.

I realize that others may have more positive experiences, but for me, Palm support isn't worth a penny.
    Pretty much my experience, except after a few phone calls back and forth, I blew up on Sprint on the phone, as well as the sprint manager in the store. Never did get my 650 working or replaced. In fact, it is still sitting in an old Centro box that I replaced it with. The 650 just stopped connecting to the network one day, and palm/sprint refused to try and get it working. They both kept saying it was the others problem. I even had insurance (Edit: After blowing up on the sprint manager, I was offered an insurance claim, but was told I could not have one from the store, and had to wait 2 weeks for a replacement. They also said they couldn't give out a loaner phone until the insurance phone came in. This wasn't necessarily what bothered me, it was the 3 hours of phone calls back and forth, and having to explode on a sprint store manager with customers waiting to be helped before I could even get to this point). I had to leave the next day for NJ and NY for work, so I ended up buying a cheap LG with no contract, than grabbed a Centro when I got back. I still haven't signed any extended contracts with sprint because of it, hence my EBAY'd 1.03 Pro.

A little off topic, but I sent the seller of my 1.03 Pro a message last Thursday evening. The seller guaranteed it was a 1.04, and said I could exchange the phone if it wasn't. When I got the phone and saw it was a 1.03, I shot off an email. I STILL haven't got a response, despite getting 3 responses within 2 days before buying the product. Is it time to send some negative feedback, or should I wait a little longer?
    It really must be the luck of the draw as to where you are or which Sprint rep you get to help you. I had my USB port break on my 800w back in December, and they simply ordered me a refurb and it came in two days later, no muss, no fuss. Took about 15 total minutes of my time.
    To get back on topic, I think I'm noticing some small bugs on the 1.03 firmware:

1. I hear a 'beep'...sort of like a system beep, about 1 out of 3 times that EVDO connects. Just a short beep and nothing more.

2. I was sending an SMS today and the box where you input text was only 1 line tall and wouldn't scroll...so after I got past the first line, I couldn't see what I was typing. A soft reset fixed this, but nothing else I did could fix the issue.

3. I had a couple of issues picking up the phone...I would get a 5 second delay from when I hit the green answer key, til when the phone actually answered (I had the same problem with the 800w). Uninstalling SPB Mobile Shell and a hard reset seems to have fixed this. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is a known issue for some people running SPB Shell (and not others).

4. When I send a text message to someone, and close out of the inbox really quickly, it counts my SENT text message as a new text message on the today screen. I click on the notification, and see my SENT message highlighted in bold, as if it is a new text message. If I wait 1-2 seconds after sending a SMS before closing out, I don't get this problem.

5. I've been having issues with PIE every once in a while...from freezing to crashing. I think it has something to do with the native flash that is installed.

I'm not sure if these are specific to 1.03 or not, but I haven't seen them mentioned in this forum after doing a quick search.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    It really must be the luck of the draw as to where you are or which Sprint rep you get to help you. I had my USB port break on my 800w back in December, and they simply ordered me a refurb and it came in two days later, no muss, no fuss. Took about 15 total minutes of my time.
    Yeah the idea that you don't have a warranty or support with Palm is plain wrong. I had a 700p swapped out by Palm for a broken headphone jack 10 months into warranty.
    Yeah the idea that you don't have a warranty or support with Palm is plain wrong. I had a 700p swapped out by Palm for a broken headphone jack 10 months into warranty.
    Actually, there is truth to what Centro85 and Wildrage are talking about.

It's a Sprint policy change effective 4/12. Palm no longer deals directly with customers on warranty issues, they go through Sprint now. If within the 1st year and there is a mechanical or electrical failure, Sprint will replace the device at no charge (used to be a $55 fee).

For more serious things with actual physical damage or outside one year, there is a charge of $119.

It's a much more simplified solution and it should prevent this back-and-forth for the customer with more direct service (and cheaper).

Of course if the device is "flagged" for no warranty support...well that is a serious problem. I still can't believe Palm/Sprint is doing that as the hardware is fine it just needs to be re-flashed. Don't see why they can't just swap it, send it out to be reflashed by HTC and resell it again. Very disappointed.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Of course if the device is "flagged" for no warranty support...well that is a serious problem. I still can't believe Palm/Sprint is doing that as the hardware is fine it just needs to be re-flashed. Don't see why they can't just swap it, send it out to be reflashed by HTC and resell it again. Very disappointed.
    Well if it is true that there has been a certain number of them that were allegedly stolen from Palm during shipping, why would they warranty them at all? They never sold them so therefore never made any profit to make up for any consumer support expenses. I don't blame them at all for flagging the serial numbers of the units that were stolen/missing, but they should make the policy public with some sort of official statement, but maybe that could interfere with an ongoing investigation.
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    Well if it is true that there has been a certain number of them that were allegedly stolen from Palm during shipping, why would they warranty them at all? They never sold them so therefore never made any profit to make up for any consumer support expenses. I don't blame them at all for flagging the serial numbers of the units that were stolen/missing, but they should make the policy public with some sort of official statement, but maybe that could interfere with an ongoing investigation.
    Yeah, but Best Buy was selling them, too.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    Yeah, but Best Buy was selling them, too.
    True, but the units sold at Best Buy may be the phones that are being activated with no issues.
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    They are all being activated with no issues. Nobody has reported being blocked from activating a 1.03 phone. Some have said that they are being blocked from warranty service by palm, but not by Sprint. If Palm no longer provides warranty service, then things may get interesting...I guess it depends on how saavy the Sprint rep you talk to is.
    It's a Sprint policy change effective 4/12. Palm no longer deals directly with customers on warranty issues, they go through Sprint now. If within the 1st year and there is a mechanical or electrical failure, Sprint will replace the device at no charge (used to be a $55 fee).
    Mostly good info, thanks. But to clarify, Palm still fully obligated to warrant and service the product as well, so the statement that "Palm longer directly deals with customers on warranty issues" is incorrect.

On this specific issue this looks like good news. From a perspective on interest it is in Sprints interest that people have on a continual bais functioning handsets as opposed to Palms interest which is in initial sale and the minimum required contractual warrant support. So this will probably mean better resolution for 1.03 owners.

Also for the sake of precision, the issue of the 1.03 software falls outside of sprints conditions, it quite explicitly states (for now) that the only conditions covered by the extension you quote are "mechanical and electrical failure".

I think sprint has an interest and will deal with the firmware, but they do not have to according to those documents.

Actually, there is truth to what Centro85 and Wildrage are talking about.
    We know there is truth in the fact that you can get a run around, but that does not abrogate the explicit right to warranty from Palm or the success all of us who have been persistent have gotten, as with scores of examples here.

EG:
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    My first Unlocked Gsm Treo Pro had to go back for a Start Button issue - Covered under warranty - Saved $500.
    My next Unlocked Gsm Treo Pro had to go back for an Over heating issue - Covered under warranty - Saved $500.

We have case after case of people getting their 800 replaced time after time - People on their 4th to 5th one.
    Last edited by aero; 04/15/2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Also for the sake of precision, the issue of the 1.03 software falls outside of sprints conditions, it quite explicitly states (for now) that the only conditions covered by the extension you quote are "mechanical and electrical failure".
    Actually, I think "software updates", listed as a condition, would qualify under the 1.03/1.04 issue--I mean all the 1.03 versions need is a ROM (software) update and that should be covered.

They just decided to give no warranty whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    Well if it is true that there has been a certain number of them that were allegedly stolen from Palm during shipping, why would they warranty them at all?
    I know you use "allegedly" here to hedge, but honestly I've seen nothing credible to suggest this is the case--it is just speculation here in the forums.

Either way, the correct action is not punish the customer unilaterally. They would be much better served by giving the warranty and asking where they actually bought it (if they are so concerned with theft). As as someone else noted, Best Buy sold these and are not covered either...basically it's just crap imo. Handle it on a case by case basis, don't punish the customer.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I contacted both sprint and palm today about the issue....

Seems that palm is not putting out to representatives (at least three of them that I spoke to today) that the 1.03 version phone has FULL warranty and can be flashed by sprint by taking into a sprint store.

All three were adamant about there not being a difference in version 1.03 and 1.04. When pushed on the reason for the "recall" (even though not technically a recall), they provide boiler text (which was funny).

I called sprint twice and both reps said no issue with bringing the phone in to be flashed to 1.04. I called the local store and they said I could do a swap... I don't have insurance though, so I'm sure he meant "if I had insurance." I'm sure I would not be allowed a swap for some phone off ebay....

Think I'm fairly satisfied at this point... enough to buy one at least...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Actually, I think "software updates", listed as a condition, would qualify under the 1.03/1.04 issue--I mean all the 1.03 versions need is a ROM (software) update and that should be covered.
    That is not changed. that was always the case. Sprint would always update software. The question on the 1.03 pro was whether they had the 1.04 as an "update" in stores and they apparently do because of this problem.

I know you use "allegedly" here to hedge, but honestly I've seen nothing credible to suggest this is the case--it is just speculation here in the forums.
    If you are referring to the theft itself, that is not alleged, it is a fact since Palm claimed $5 million dollars theft loss of handsets that occurred at the time of the Pros first scheduled release.

Whether they were Pros or Centros (they almost certainly were not 800w since those were already in the hands of Sprint) is an open question but they could very well have been Pros.

The near immediate flooding of ebay with sellers selling them by the hundreds at steep discounts makes this a possibility. I inquired with one of the bulk ebay sellers if he bought them direct from Palm and they said they did not.

Either way, the correct action is not punish the customer unilaterally. They would be much better served by giving the warranty and asking where they actually bought it (if they are so concerned with theft). As as someone else noted, Best Buy sold these and are not covered either...basically it's just crap imo. Handle it on a case by case basis, don't punish the customer.
    Best buy is very different. Anyone who purchased from best buy quite literally has the right for a full refund on phone purchase and cancellation of their contract.

At the very least one could walk into a best buy today with their used phone, a receipt from January, and a copy of the best buy recall memo, and walk out with a spanking new Pro -- and probably a $50 gift card as well.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast