Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have a 1.03 phone that I got off of Craigs List. Did I know it was a 1.03 when I bought it? No. Would I have rathered a 1.04? Yes. Knowing what I know now, would I have not bought it if I had known - Nope, I would have still bought it, because it is identicle.

Unless you read these forums, nobody would have any idea that there is a difference between 1.03 and 1.04. I think that Palm is partly responsible for this problem. They shipped thousands of phones to retailers and then last second recalled them all. If you ask me, that's a very poor business practice and irresponsible on their part. I know some of you will say that it's a great business practice because they recalled them before they were supposed to be released. I say that they should have never left Palm in the first place, and its unrealistic to coordinate such a large scale recall with such short notice.

Palm made this stupid device - both 1.03 and 1.04, palm put a warranty card in the box, they shipped the phone to retailers, and ultimately, I think Palm should be held responsible.
    I, all along have been calling this Palms fumble.
    And these phones wouldn't be out there if they didn't ship them before they were ready.

What it is, is what it is.

My goal now, isn't to prove there's something different about 1.03, but to forwarn people that Palm may have Flagged them - No Warranty based off the SN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Every time I have ever called Palm with an issue, I have never had anything close to resembling good customer service, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Guess it's a good thing Sprint does the tech support, and they insured the 1.03 phone.
    I had Palm give me a full refund on an 800w for an issue, and on the treo pro lots of people have had warranty service on the case cracks, so I don't know what that assertion is about.

There are literlay scores of postings on this very forum about people suing palm warranty successfully here on the Treo Pro specifically and hundreds on palm models generally.

Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Unless you read these forums, nobody would have any idea that there is a difference between 1.03 and 1.04. e.
    100% wrong. Excuse me but that is like sayinf there is no difference between gray market items and non gray marekt items.

By law you have to label sales of gray market items. The ebayers selling 1,.03 are committing a plain and simple fraud under those laws. I used to buy a lot of camera equipment. There is a long standing gray market of non warrantied items that "nobody would have any idea that there is a difference between" -- until they needed service. The fact is there is a big difference in value. There is OBVIOUSLY a lower cost to the seller when acquiring the gray market recalled Pros

Ebayers who are not labeling these clearly as recalled and unwarranted devices are committing a fraud by implying they are the same as official Sprint Treo Pros.

There are also obvious differences in the software one can see it from complaints abut memory here. There are probably other differences as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I had Palm give me a full refund on an 800w for an issue, and on the treo pro lots of people have had warranty service on the case cracks, so I don't know what that assertion is about.

There are literlay scores of postings on this very forum about people suing palm warranty successfully here on the Treo Pro specifically and hundreds on palm models generally.

100% wrong. Excuse me but that is like sayinf there is no difference between gray market items and non gray marekt items.

By law you have to label sales of gray market items. The ebayers selling 1,.03 are committing a plain and simple fraud under those laws. I used to buy a lot of camera equipment. There is a long standing gray market of non warrantied items that "nobody would have any idea that there is a difference between" -- until they needed service. The fact is there is a big difference in value. There is OBVIOUSLY a lower cost to the seller when acquiring the gray market recalled Pros

Ebayers who are not labeling these clearly as recalled and unwarranted devices are committing a fraud by implying they are the same as official Sprint Treo Pros.

There are also obvious differences in the software one can see it from complaints abut memory here. There are probably other differences as well.
    You are being ridiculous. If I sell my 3 year old Ford that had a recall that I didn't know about, am I committing fraud and selling a grey market item? Save the melodrama for someone who cares. The title of the thread is 'Difference between v1.03-STP & v1.04-STP.' The majority of the people who are looking to it for guidance already own 1.03 phones, so it's too late for lectures. I think it's perfectly plausible that someone could sell a 1.03 phone and not know that it is recalled....and this is coming from someone who has been 'victimised,' according to your estimates. Are you just mad because you paid more for your Pro then those who bought 1.03? Sheesh.
    I think the Ebay seller is responsible to make buyer aware.
    I could see a Private seller not being aware. These guys have stock and should know if they are selling a device with no warranty or not.
    You are being ridiculous. If I sell my 3 year old Ford that had a recall that I didn't know about, am I committing fraud and selling a grey market item?
    You are the one not aware of the issue. Here is the appropriate analogy:

If a ford dealer sells you a new ford car it it turns out he did not inform you that that what you thought was a new ford truck had NO WARRANTY and Ford would not work on the car, it would be a FRAUD and of seriously less value. If on top of that it was a recalled FORD and they didn't rell you that would be doubly a rip off.

The sellers are committing fraud plain and simple. They are selling an item that is worth $50 to $100 less and not noting why.

If you bought it with no warranty and FLAGGED for no support and feel it is worth the same as other ebayers selling the non RECALLED item then fine, but don't preach.

Why do you insist the Palm warranty or ability of Palm to service this is unimportant when in fact these boards are full of people sending items for Palm for service and warranty?

The majority of the people who are looking to it for guidance already own 1.03 phones, so it's too late for lectures. I.
    They can all dispute with paypal or ebay and get their money back. It isn't too late, fraud sales are serious.
    Amusing little fact here. A few posts up I posted that I had purchased one of these, contacted seller, and I posted his response to me.

Well... I just got an email from the seller. There was nothing on the email except a copy of my post, in it's entirety. Looks like idreamofwireless is monitoring TC forums himself. lol

Anyway, I emailed him back:

"So, I'm not the only one reading the forums. And you tried to act like you knew nothing about a recalled version. Makes me wonder which of the users you are.........."

Let's see if he quotes this post too....
    Last edited by Malachi; 04/10/2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Iden
    from all of this (eBay drama), I may just wait to buy a Pre (not that I like WinMo at all anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Amusing little fact here. A few posts up I posted that I had purchased one of these, contacted seller, and I posted his response to me.

Well... I just got an email from the seller. There was nothing on the email except a copy of my post, in it's entirety. Looks like idreamofwireless is monitoring TC forums himself. lol

"So, I'm not the only one reading the forums. And you tried to act like you knew nothing about a recalled version. Makes me wonder which of the users you are.........."

I read your other post... not sure if I'd go so far as to call this fraudulant... you might be a bit upset, so no biggie.

More than likely all the peeps on ebay grabbed a bunch of those phones for great prices... the phones do work so... but there is a sticky about them being marked by sprint or palm (or something like like). I think it is a wash... we all try to find our 1.04s and move on... you might be out $6, no biggie. You could check to see if you can return the phone to sprint or palm.

Was the phone recalled in the sense that we normally understand a recall? Did we ever find our for sure what, if anything, was wrong with 1.03. I might have read it and forgotten already.. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Was the phone recalled in the sense that we normally understand a recall? Did we ever find our for sure what, if anything, was wrong with 1.03. I might have read it and forgotten already.. lol
    Warranty issues for sure. that is a biggie.
    I had Palm fix a number of things under warranty over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Lol I got a response claiming Sprint wold update the software for me! too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Lol I got a response claiming Sprint wold update the software for me! too much.
    Seems the issue with Palm's Pro launch is the eBay 1.03 devices...

Figure that Palm would mess something up. Blame Palm? Yes... the phone shipped and palm did not have tight enough control over them. My guess is the ebay people are trapped with devices they need to dump and don't have much choice but to sell them. It is unfortunate...

I've sold on ebay for a while and can see their side. People are not making "millions" on eBay... but I'd guess some are being fraudulent... hard to tell.

This is a mess... and Palm is not stepping in to fix it anytime soon. Instead Palm is further mucking the waters by putting out negative statements.

Thanks Palm!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I think it's interesting that Altell still has the 1.03 firmware version and they haven't been recalled yet. Someone posted a question about it in this forum, but has gotten no responses.
    I've got a 1.03 device for Sprint that I got from Ebay and have had no problems whatsoever with it.

The phone was activated fine, TEP was kept on just fine, and the phone seems to work wonderfully.

As long as the phone doesn't have an issue within 30 days, which I doubt it will, I'd be using Sprint's TEP anyway to get it fixed/replaced. I understand that not everyone has that service but since I do, I couldn't be less concerned about the version.

I understand the warranty issue could be significant, but I think it's been blown out of proportion on the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    I understand the warranty issue could be significant, but I think it's been blown out of proportion on the net.
    Not been blown out of proportion... people simply want answers and for palm to step in to correct the situation... or at least make an attempt to be the "different" company they claim.

That is why apple has so many loyal followers... Apple does not let many things fester for long... I think that is what is boils down to... we are wondering about this 1.03 issue, but also the bigger issue at hand. So many of palms products have went without updates (or the updates were slow in coming). Many times palm acts like issues don't exist.

And just because you happen to have insurance, does not make it a non-issue for everyone else... I don't carry the insurance and never will. No need to purchase a phone no (potential) manufacture warranty... so here I sit, money in hand.
    My first Unlocked Gsm Treo Pro had to go back for a Start Button issue - Covered under warranty - Saved $500.
    My next Unlocked Gsm Treo Pro had to go back for an Over heating issue - Covered under warranty - Saved $500.

We have case after case of people getting their 800 replaced time after time - People on their 4th to 5th one.

My concern is to make TC members aware that if they buy a 1.03 they may be without warranty. And depending on the issue, they may have just bought a $200 Ebay Paperweight.
    Just call me Berd.
    I just came across this:
    Looks like Karen lucked-out by getting the 1.04.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I also got mine from Ebay. Mine arrived today. It is v1.04. The seller was besteelelectronics_1
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Well, talked to Sprint and did a hard reset, no go. I'm pretty sure I win as the person who killed their phone the quickest. They are sending out a new phone so I'll be Treoless for a few days
    It just seems so obvious.
    Buy an Ebay 1.04 and get Palm/Sprint support.
    Buy a 1.03 and risk Palm/Sprint running the SN and saying; 'Sorry, your Device is Flagged for No Warranty.'
    Just call me Berd.
    Someone on the palm forums (Sprint Treo Pro w/ 1.03 firmware - HELP - Software - Community Help Forums) reported that after dealing with Sprint tech support, he was able to go to a local Sprint store and get his device updated to 1.04. I have 5 Sprint stores in a 5 mile radius of me and will try to see what I can do on my lunch break today.
    Cool, it will be interesting to hear how it works out.
    Yeah, looks like people with 1.03 would be spending $25 to $100 of their time to get an upgrade from Sprint as well as having no warranty from Palm which is a considerable value.
    At least it is some option, but none the less the value to the buyer of 1.03 is considerably less.
    I'm just going to stop by the sprint store on the way to the deli near my office and see if they can do it...no big deal.

I still think it's interesting that Alltel has version 1.03 of Palm's firmware on all of their Touch Pros (and that they sell them for only $99!)
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast