Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bricks View Post
    my gut is telling me that not only did Best Buy get 1.03 but all of the third party drop shippers and "authorized retailers" got them as well who did not heed the "recall", kept them anyway and are selling them in store (a la mall kiosks, storefronts for the "authorized retailers") and the drop shippers are using ebay to rid themselves of the units. 7 out of 10 ebay cell phone equipment sellers are using a drop shipper to fulfill auctions that is how phones show up on ebay the day after release.
    That sounds like a pretty fair assumption.

Have you heard, read, or seen anyone say what the difference is in the two versions? NOPE.

I think there is a lot of people making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. Until I find definitive proof that there is some major difference I am fine with the v1.03
    my gut is telling me that not only did Best Buy get 1.03 but all of the third party drop shippers and "authorized retailers" got them as well who did not heed the "recall", kept them anyway and are selling them in store (a la mall kiosks, storefronts for the "authorized retailers") and the drop shippers are using ebay to rid themselves of the units. 7 out of 10 ebay cell phone equipment sellers are using a drop shipper to fulfill auctions that is how phones show up on ebay the day after release.
    Thanks.

Of course they have considerably less value and should be noted as such.
    Palm has said they won' t support it so the idea that their is not real difference has been debunked.by

Essentially you have one or two ebayers who are rip off artists and who are committing a fraud.
    Is there a way to upgrade? Mine reads T850UEU-1.01-EME, adn was purchased in March...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hystory: Alcatel OT Easy --> Nokia 5110 --> Alcatel OT Pocket + Visor Platinum --> Siemens ME45 --> Treo 650 --> Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Thanks.

Of course they have considerably less value and should be noted as such.
    Palm has said they won' t support it so the idea that their is not real difference has been debunked.by

Essentially you have one or two ebayers who are rip off artists and who are committing a fraud.
    agreed, has anyone reported an ebay seller to ebay for the "fraudulent" item?
    always searching for the light..
    Reporting to Ebay/Paypal is on my list of next actions if I cannot get the Ebay seller to refund my purchase of a 1.03 version, which I am refusing to receive from the Postal Service. I have asked that a 1.04 version be shipped to replace the unopened 1.03 and the seller has stated he does not know which version he has without opening the box and he will not open the box.
    Hey, I just got one off ebay and sure enough it's a 1.03. I emailed the seller and told him he had sold me an unofficial recalled version of the phone and he responded :

"i think you read forums and internet gossip too much, send it back ill
    give you a full refund. `i dont feel like elborating but sprint nor
    palm never relased anything about a recall.... your reading forum
    information."

Anyway, I can send it back and get a refund, but I'll lose the $6 shipping. But, can someone who is more informed than I am tell me if this is indeed against ebay policy or not? If so will report him.

BTW: the seller's ID is: idreamofwireless for those of you who are considering buying one off ebay, he has lots for sell and they are probably all 1.03s

Regards,
    Larry
    Last edited by Malachi; 04/10/2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Identify fraudulent seller on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Hey, I just got one off ebay and sure enough it's a 1.03. I emailed the seller and told him he had sold me an unofficial recalled version of the phone and he responded :

information."

Anyway, I can send it back and get a refund, but I'll lose the $6 shipping. But, can someone who is more informed than I am tell me if this is indeed against ebay policy or not? If so will report him.

BTW: the seller's ID is: idreamofwireless for those of you who are considering buying one off ebay, he has lots for sell and they are probably all 1.03s

Regards,
    Larry
    It seems many TC members are fine with 1.03 - No perceived issues.

My main concern would be if Sprint/Palm will provide warranty support.
    Some members try to reassure, but they really can't and shouldn't speak for Sprint/Palm.

Here is SprintDaddy's experience:
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    I thought I would add my quick note into this. I was also one of the ones that bought a 1.03 phone from ebay. I went to the store and they said that it wouldn't really be supported and they couldn't do anything with it as they don't have a upgrade for it. They don't have the standard ROM either so that was a bust. They said I should call Palm and see what they say. When I called Palm and gave them the serial number from my phone, they had it flagged for no technical support. They said that for me to get Tech support I have to fax them a proof of purchase so they could try to track down the seller of the phones for this problem. So that right there tells you something is wrong with this whole thing.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'd say ask the seller for the SN because you want to clear it with Sprint/Palm as to whether they will give warranty support on it.
    If he says he can't give you the number, ask him how might you verify the device will be supported by Palm.

I just found this:

Sprint Treo Pro w/ 1.03 firmware - HELP - Software - Community Help Forums

Palm Tech Support said:
    you should go back to the store where you purchased it and have the device replaced. the correct firmware should be 1.04 not 1.03.
    Just call me Berd.
    Berd,

Just spoke with a corporate support rep at Palm Inc. He tells me that the difference between 1.03 and 1.04 is minor, mostly some rare quirks with networking (?) and according to his tech people it ain't enough to worry my little brain over as I'll likely never notice any problems with it.

Also, called Sprint and verified that the ESN is activateable (word? lol). I think I'm just gonna try activating it on my account. If it works, I'll keep it, if not, I'll return it.

Thanks,
    Larry
    It's nice we're finally getting some comments from Palm.
    Did he say anything about Warranty?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It's nice we're finally getting some comments from Palm.
    Did he say anything about Warranty?
    I didn't think to ask him.
    I might call Palm myself and get some info.
    If it looks as if they are going to support 1.03, I'll remove all my 'Beware' Posts.
    I prefer to lean to the side of caution. So far, from what we've heard here, is Palm wasn't going to support the unauthorized release.
    The worst that will come of this all is the price of 1.03's may go for a lot less than 1.04.
    Which is a good thing for buyers.
    Just call me Berd.
    The same thing just happened to me. Bought a STP off an ebay seller who assured me in private message that it was a version 1.04. Sure enough, its a darn 1.03 . If I send it back, I have no phone for work, which is a big problem. My Centro's speakers died, which is why I bought a new phone. I am really about to just go to Sprint, have it activated, and if it breaks, make sure they can't use the screen to check the version Just kidding, of course, but really, if it breaks, how would they know what software version was in the phone?
    I just replied in the other thread.

I think the best advice for everyone is to call palm.
    Give them the SN and ask if they will honor warranty.

They may not check firmware, but they will look at the SN.

The first thing they asked me when I called in for warranty repair is the SN.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrote View Post
    I think there is a lot of people making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. Until I find definitive proof that there is some major difference I am fine with the v1.03
    Yeah, There's been enough comments by those with 1.03 that I'm comfortable now that it's most likely nothing to worry about.

The only thing I'd like to see now, is if Palm will be honoring warranty on them.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I just replied in the other thread.

I think the best advice for everyone is to call palm.
    Give them the SN and ask if they will honor warranty.

They may not check firmware, but they will look at the SN.

The first thing they asked me when I called in for warranty repair is the SN.
    Thats what I am doing now, as I type. They told me at first to swap it out with the retailer. I told palm the retailer is saying palm has not recalled any phones, and I told the lady I could not find a recall on their website either. I told her now I am stuck with a phone I bought from a store, brand new and sealed in a box, that palm and sprint are telling me is bad, but there is no recall and the store wont take it back.

Now I am on hold.

Edit: After being on hold for about 5-6 minutes, the lady came back on the phone. She said the serial number is flagged in their system as a 0 day warranty. She tried to tell me this meant the phone was a used phone. I told her the box was sealed, and when I turned on the device it installed the operating system/software etc. I than told her I thought Palm had a warranty anyway, so even if this was a "used" device it wouldn't matter. She told me they can't do anything more without a new device and a new serial number. I asked her to email me a copy of the "recall" so I can get a new phone, and she told me the best she could do was give me a customer support claim number that I can give to the retailer, so the retailer cannot deny the problem and swap it out with a new device.

No wonder Palm is going out of business. They sell phones to whoever, have a problem, and won't do anything about the ones that got sold before they asked for them back. By the way, she did say these phones are flagged by SERIAL NUMBER in their system, so even if you had to claim warranty at sprint or w/e, you won't be able to get it repaired/new one etc. since the serial number is printed on the back.
    Last edited by Centro85; 04/09/2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post

information."
    I think this means there is a fair chance that one of the people on this forum saying there is no issue here maybe actually one of the sellers.

The items were obviously recalled. Even the advocates were asked to return them for newer models.

There was a recall notice issued to best buy so your seller is lying. Your seller got them cheap because they were recalled and knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    No wonder Palm is going out of business. They sell phones to whoever, have a problem, and won't do anything about the ones that got sold before they asked for them back. By the way, she did say these phones are flagged by SERIAL NUMBER in their system, so even if you had to claim warranty at sprint or w/e, you won't be able to get it repaired/new one etc. since the serial number is printed on the back.
    I don't think it is right to blame Palm for unscrupulous ebay sellers.
    Last edited by aero; 04/09/2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    ....:snip:

I don't think it is right to blame Palm for unscrupulous ebay sellers.
    Not at all. Any online or in person store really has nothing to do with Palm. My problem is that Palm released a phone to be sold, than asked for them all to be returned. When some of these phones were sold to other buisnesses, be it Ebay or otherwise, and were than passed on to consumers (who knew nothing about the situation unless the spend hours on hours researching a purchase and get information from a FORUM and not PALM) and they decide not to give the poor customer the same service as the original purchaser, there is a problem. I could see if this recall was issued before they made it to the store or w/e and we are talking about a handful of phones, but that is not the case. There are tons of these things out there, and palm should do what's right.

It really isn't a huge deal since there is no noticeable problems with the phones, and Sprint is the only company that does tech support for Palm phones (palm won't even do tech support on them anyway, there is a automated message for Sprints phone number on palms machine). Every time I have ever called Palm with an issue, I have never had anything close to resembling good customer service, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Guess it's a good thing Sprint does the tech support, and they insured the 1.03 phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    .... Guess it's a good thing Sprint does the tech support, and they insured the 1.03 phone.
    That's interesting. If a lot of folks are getting or have gotten these 1.03 versions and have gotten TEP for them, what's going to happen when/if folks start getting refurbed 1.03 versions down the road?
    So here is my take on this whole Palm thing. I really don't think it is about 1.03 or 1.04 thing with Palm. I could be wrong but everyone that bought off ebay has had Palm say it was a "used" phone and that there is no warranty on it. I really think that is the way Palm is getting away with not doing warranty work and lowering costs.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast