Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    Sounds to me like you will be better off making sure you get the 1.04 version since there have been reports of Sprint and Palm not supporting the 1.03 version. I would hate to see you waste the money like that.
    Oh no I don't intend to buy it from that guy, I was just confirming what looks to be one of the biggest sellers of Sprint Treo Pro on eBay (looks like he has sold about 40 units), somehow got the 1.03's in bulk.
    there are a couple of ebay sellers using the same big box photo of sealed treo pro's ala 1.03. i bought one from one of them before realizing that this debacle existed. after receiving mine i emailed the seller asking where did he get all of the "recalled" pro's from... goes without saying, i haven't received a response....
    always searching for the light..
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Oh no I don't intend to buy it from that guy, I was just confirming what looks to be one of the biggest sellers of Sprint Treo Pro on eBay (looks like he has sold about 40 units), somehow got the 1.03's in bulk.
    Oh I meant my response for msgott. Very interesting about the 1.03's. I was thinking about picking up another STP soon since they are so (relatively) cheap, and canceling my insurance. I don't think I want to deal with getting an unsupported phone though.
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bricks View Post
    there are a couple of ebay sellers using the same big box photo of sealed treo pro's ala 1.03. i bought one from one of them before realizing that this debacle existed. after receiving mine i emailed the seller asking where did he get all of the "recalled" pro's from... goes without saying, i haven't received a response....
    Looking through about 50 listings I see one seller, prhaps it seems like more as that seller has about 40 listed on ebay for sale.

the one I am referring to is Wirelessdream on ebay
    Last edited by aero; 04/07/2009 at 05:01 AM.
    Nobody on this or any other forum has been able to tell the difference between 1.03 and 1.04, so I don't see what the big deal is. Some have reported having both models and can't tell the difference.

As far as being unsupported....have you ever tried to call Palm? I don't think I would really call that support lol.

Granted, if I were given the choice, I'd take a 1.04 over a 1.03, but if given a great deal on a 1.03, I'd jump on it.
    Did you guys see this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I have an email in to Palm to see if they can make an official statement on what to do with the 1.03 Recalled STPs -- but understand that they may not be able to say much. Either way we'll write up a story for the front page.
    It's from the thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...d-release.html

Pretty Cool.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Nobody on this or any other forum has been able to tell the difference between 1.03 and 1.04, so I don't see what the big deal is. Some have reported having both models and can't tell the difference.

As far as being unsupported....have you ever tried to call Palm? I don't think I would really call that support lol.

Granted, if I were given the choice, I'd take a 1.04 over a 1.03, but if given a great deal on a 1.03, I'd jump on it.
    Can you imagine what was involved in pulling all those Treo Pro's outta stock and sending them back to Sprint/Palm for a Reflash.
    It may very well be something insignificant.
    But it was a Big enough concern for Palm/Sprint to ask for them to all be sent back.

They didn't want them sold.
    Just call me Berd.
    No one has reported having both models, and in any case there is ahuge difference between a model Palm will not support and one they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Can you imagine what was involved in pulling all those Treo Pro's outta stock and sending them back to Sprint/Palm for a Reflash.
    It may very well be something insignificant.
    But it was a Big enough concern for Palm/Sprint to ask for them to all be sent back.
    They didn't want them sold.
    I agree it was obviously something serious.
    No one has reported having both models, and in any case there is ahuge difference between a model Palm will not support and one they will.
    I seem to remember one person saying they have both.

But you're right - Palm saying they won't support it is huge.

I still don't see why anyone would try to convince others that it isn't a big deal. Palm/Sprint made a fumble, and they should pick it up. Buyers shouldn't even have to wonder what may or may not be the reason for the recall. Even if some of the more tech savvy members around here try to reassure us that they don't think there's an issue, Palm/Sprint felt it was.
    Just call me Berd.
  11.    #31  
    I have used both and have seen no difference what so ever. When I see memory not being given back after an app is closed happens on both.

I don't see anything one one that I see on the other.

If I recall v1.04 had a tad bit more memory after a hard reset but thats been it.
    I have 1.03 and have no problems what-so-ever. If I had the choice of buying a 1.04 for $300 and a 1.03 for $150 I would jump to the 1.03...just my personal preference.

Since when does Palm give support? I don't seem to remember any support for my 800w.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it.....hasn't exploded in my pocket (yet).
    Last edited by wildrage; 04/07/2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Since when does Palm give support? I don't seem to remember any support for my 800w..
    you are kidding right? there is a warranty that is likely void in the unauthorized release.

We don't know if the Pro has some kind of serious problem that will start to show like the cracks in the GSM version etc. It has only been out for a short while.

On the 800w Palm offered refund of purchase price to anyone who made a claim on the GPS issue.

You know the main rom is not the only chip that may have required a flash?

Do you think they blew millions of bucks on a fix, pluys logistics, plus lost advertising and lost selling window ( by two months) for nothing? Doubtful.
    FYI I just asked one of the ebay sellers selling the 1.03 if what version they had and they said 1.03 but they said Sprint will update it no problem (an obvious and troubling lie, or to be precise, a fraud)
    Since when does Palm give support?
    It's called a Warranty.

Palm has done a beautiful job supporting me with my Treo Pro.

Palm is telling 1.03 owners that they will not be supporting 1.03.
    Just call me Berd.
    If I had the choice of buying a 1.04 for $300 and a 1.03 for $150 I would jump to the 1.03...just my personal preference.
    You are saying it is worth $150 less? That is the point!

I would like to point out tha tyou are informed that their is a difference.

So Sure the Pro 103 maybe worth $150 less, maybe just $100 less, but the point is that the majority of eBay buyers won't know they are buying a less valauble device, and the clarification here is very important -- especially and until futher clarification from Palm
  17.    #37  
    You are saying it is worth $150 less? That is the point!

I would like to point out tha tyou are informed that their is a difference.

So Sure the Pro 103 maybe worth $150 less, maybe just $100 less, but the point is that the majority of eBay buyers won't know they are buying a less valauble device, and the clarification here is very important -- especially and until futher clarification from Palm
    Again, as a user who has used both on a regular basis I see no difference. Do not assume that there may not be "other" factors at play with the recall & re-release.

If and when (or never) I see an issue with the v1.03 that is different from v1.04 you guys will be the first to know. My guess is IF there was some difference I would have seen it by now.
    I think that it's funny that you admonish me for assuming that both models are basically the same, but then you assume yourself that there has to be a huge gigantic issue with these units to justify a recall....more assumptions.

Nothing has been confirmed or denied. For all we know, the previous version could have included some type of proprietary software that violated some sort of licensing agreement.....or it COULD include something that Sprint didn't want us to have (like the ability to tether, etc.), that they later locked down. If you all are going to speculate that something horrible is wrong with it, I'll speculate that 1.03's have super special software that nobody else has and that is totally unique, making it worth more. We can go on and on for pages.

Even the whole warranty thing hasn't been proven. Until someone with 1.03 software actually tries to get their phone serviced, we won't know if they support it or not. Like I said before, Palm support is horrible to begin with...and we're talking about $200 device - not a $20,000 device. I'll be able to sleep tonight even if Palm doesn't 'support' it.

If Sprint wanted to block the ESNs for 1.03 phones they could do it in a second. They could run a query and either ban them or contact people that are using them. I'm sure they know 1.03 units are out there, and obviously they don't care.

To each his own, buyer beware, etc. etc.

I work in NYC and met the person selling the phones....I talked to him via Craigs List. He was hispanic, in his early 20's, and worked on the upper east side. He must have had atleast 100 of them there. His e-mail address is jeanius6586 (at)aol (dot)com if you want to ask him where he got them yourself. I am interested to know how they hit the streets. That being said, I always wonder how all of the new Sprint phones hit ebay on the day that they are released for a relatively low price...it does sound sort of shady...the people that I have delt with on ebay all worked for Sprint stores or Sprint retailers.
    I think that it's funny that you admonish me for assuming that both models are basically the same, but then you assume yourself that there has to be a huge gigantic issue with these units to justify a recall....more assumptions.
    The seller on ebay is RIPPING OFF people plain and simnple by not noting that these are RECALLED items not warrneted or supported by maker.

These handsets are worth $100 less because if it.

There are proably other serious issues also.

Sprint didn't wait two months and lose all those potential sales on an item of consumer electronics that drops in potential sales quickly for no reason. they did it for a reason
    my gut is telling me that not only did Best Buy get 1.03 but all of the third party drop shippers and "authorized retailers" got them as well who did not heed the "recall", kept them anyway and are selling them in store (a la mall kiosks, storefronts for the "authorized retailers") and the drop shippers are using ebay to rid themselves of the units. 7 out of 10 ebay cell phone equipment sellers are using a drop shipper to fulfill auctions that is how phones show up on ebay the day after release.
    always searching for the light..
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast