Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any issues with GPS Lag? Any special reg settings we can change to speed it up? Also does anyone have a link or instructions on how to configure GPSGate with Garmin Mobile XP?

Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Go and check what is your default on your PDA. Mine now is COM 4. That is your GPSGate input.

Go to GPSGate to create a *VIRTUAL* port. Pick any number. Thats your output.

Now tell Garmin to go to that *VIRTUAL* port.

Done.

PS, dont forget that GPSGate will screw your Today screen up. Go see my other post about TomTom here.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Go and check what is your default on your PDA. Mine now is COM 4. That is your GPSGate input.

Go to GPSGate to create a *VIRTUAL* port. Pick any number. Thats your output.

Now tell Garmin to go to that *VIRTUAL* port.

Done.

PS, dont forget that GPSGate will screw your Today screen up. Go see my other post about TomTom here.
    That didn't work. Icon on today screen stays red and Garmin goes back to using port 4
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Input in GPSGate is Port 4.

Create a virtual COM Port 2. (Or pick any open port)

Wait till there is incoming signal and it should turn green. Mine takes 3 sec.

Now go to Garmin and tell it to go to Port 2.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  5.    #5  
    Input in GPSGate is Port 4.

Create a virtual COM Port 2. (Or pick any open port)

Wait till there is incoming signal and it should turn green. Mine takes 3 sec.

Now go to Garmin and tell it to go to Port 2.
    Looks like that worked, i will test it.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Did you see your BT status disappeared on your TODAY screen?
    guys I am running garm xt with no lag and no gpsgate.

you do not need gps gate on the pro.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    guys I am running garm xt with no lag and no gpsgate.

you do not need gps gate on the pro.
    Really? Mine has had a lag since i took it out of the box. What are you gps settings?
    all default.

why did you install gps gate?
    I didn't notice any lag when I tried Google Maps or WLS. I couldn't attest to the accuracy within feet, but whenever I stopped or turned my position on the map updated immediately.

Since both programs require data connection to update maps, I don't know if any of that position tracking is coming from the network. I'm pretty sure I was getting at least some from the satellite because when I drove through a dead spot in the EVDO coverage and the map stopped updating I noticed the tracker was still moving.

Either way, it is way more accurate then when I was running Garmin on my Q with Bluetooth GPS.

Ran into a problem Saturday and Sunday where neither program was able to get a GPS lock. After soft reset, it started working again this morning. I thought I recalled reading some people had similar problem with the 800w.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What do you mean by lag?

The cursor stop moving when you move more than 1 mph?

GPSGate is good. I like to have a middle man doing stuff.
  12.    #12  
    all default.

why did you install gps gate?
    i had read that you could try installing gps gate to see if it minimizes the lag. I tried using garmin before installing gpsgate and there was a lag. The 800w was on point.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Nobody had answer me ...

Had your BT status on your Today screen disappeared once your GPSGate is up?
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    i had read that you could try installing gps gate to see if it minimizes the lag. I tried using garmin before installing gpsgate and there was a lag. The 800w was on point.
    I have less lag on the treo pro than with the 800w with garmin and don't have gpsgate.

Nobody had answer me ...
    Had your BT status on your Today screen disappeared once your GPSGate is up?
    Chong, why are using gps gate? it is just going to slow up performance. There is no need for it on treo pro.
  15.    #15  
    I have less lag on the treo pro than with the 800w with garmin and don't have gpsgate.

Chong, why are using gps gate? it is just going to slow up performance. There is no need for it on treo pro.
    My experience was the opposite. I will test it again with gpsgate and without. I will post my results later
    fortunately I still have 800w as well as Pro to test side by side in same conditions with same software. The Treo Pro GPS is the best I have found on a smartphone yet.
    A lot of people perceive lag on non compensating software compared to software on dedicated GPS or full gps software. That isn't the case if you are testing tomtom on both. are you testing both side by side in same conditions? That is how I tested them.
    i am running sprint telenav right now with about a block delay. is there anything to oversome this.

on the blackberry curve it was right on. no lag at all. same sprint telenav used as well.

gps turn by turn is use less if i am missing my turns.

this isn't as bad of a lag as the touch pro or diamond had but there is a problem. you wouldn't know it was that bad if you hadn't had the blackberry before. not worth going back to blackberry, but is worth fixing.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i am running sprint telenav right now with about a block delay. is there anything to oversome this.

on the blackberry curve it was right on. no lag at all. same sprint telenav used as well.

gps turn by turn is use less if i am missing my turns.

this isn't as bad of a lag as the touch pro or diamond had but there is a problem. you wouldn't know it was that bad if you hadn't had the blackberry before. not worth going back to blackberry, but is worth fixing.
    cody..i just experienced the same problem with telenav. i tried garmin first with the same lag..i was thinking, maybe it's because im using garming off the micro sd card..looks like hats not the case since im receiving a half a block to a block lag on both apps
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Do you all use Google Map to jump start the GPS on TT7?
  20.    #20  
    hmmm...should I take it back..since im within the 30days and see if the same thing happens on the 2nd phone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast