Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 88 of 88
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Basically if it not an GSM phone which Palm had to fix, they want you to sent it back to Sprint.
    So, hence forth, having to have a complicated life short of going back to living in mud houses, its better to pay insurance.
    No?
    mo. You don't have to go back to Sprint, although that maybe easier. Palm will fix any warranted problem for one year from purchase. It has nothing to do with GSM or not.
  2. Astropin's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #82  
    Well first of all the phone only cost me $99 from Alltel with a 2 year contract.....and I'm not a new customer. So insurance really wouldn't make a ton of sense.

    Add to that fact that a lot of home owners policies would cover the loss (or auto if it's stolen from your vehicle) and it makes even less sense. And I'm an insurance agent.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    Well first of all the phone only cost me $99 from Alltel with a 2 year contract.....and I'm not a new customer. So insurance really wouldn't make a ton of sense.

    Add to that fact that a lot of home owners policies would cover the loss (or auto if it's stolen from your vehicle) and it makes even less sense. And I'm an insurance agent.
    And the deductible on those home and car insurance policies would be?...

    And many of us found, when checking with our own policy agents, that smart phones are not covered unless it was stolen from the house. (Many lost and stolen devices are lost and stolen away from home.) But again, the deductible makes the home/auto insurance a no-go for most of us.

    I'm dumping Asurion, but I'm not looking to home/auto insurance to save the day for me either.
  4. Astropin's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And the deductible on those home and car insurance policies would be?...

    And many of us found, when checking with our own policy agents, that smart phones are not covered unless it was stolen from the house. (Many lost and stolen devices are lost and stolen away from home.) But again, the deductible makes the home/auto insurance a no-go for most of us.

    I'm dumping Asurion, but I'm not looking to home/auto insurance to save the day for me either.
    Good point. I guess I'm the type who only likes to carry insurance on the REALLY valuable items......Home, Auto, Boat...ect... Things I don't mind paying a $500 deductible on to get fixed/replaced.

    On small electronics I'll take the manufactures warranty and then I'll take my chances. Odds are I'll have it long enough to just buy a new one if needed. My Sony Clie' has been going strong with seven years of daily use.

    Then again I tend to be careful with my valuable electronics. I've never had a phone or PDA stolen. I've never broken one by dropping it......and I've dropped them all on occasion. Lucky I guess. Anyway at this point I figure I'm WAY ahead of the game so if I ever do need to replace one with my own money I'll just pony up.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    ...
    On small electronics I'll take the manufactures warranty and then I'll take my chances. Odds are I'll have it long enough to just buy a new one if needed.
    ...
    Then again I tend to be careful with my valuable electronics. I've never had a phone or PDA stolen. I've never broken one by dropping it......and I've dropped them all on occasion. ...so if I ever do need to replace one with my own money I'll just pony up.
    I'm right there with you. Although, it's taken Asurion upping their deductible to actually make me fully realize that is the best move for me too. Never had one stolen, never dropped one and had it break.
  6. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #86  
    I am still paying for my insurance.

    I am thinking of getting another 2nd PDA phone as back up, then cancel my insurance.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    Good point. I guess I'm the type who only likes to carry insurance on the REALLY valuable items......Home, Auto, Boat...ect... Things I don't mind paying a $500 deductible on to get fixed/replaced.

    On small electronics I'll take the manufactures warranty and then I'll take my chances. Odds are I'll have it long enough to just buy a new one if needed. My Sony Clie' has been going strong with seven years of daily use.

    Then again I tend to be careful with my valuable electronics. I've never had a phone or PDA stolen. I've never broken one by dropping it......and I've dropped them all on occasion. Lucky I guess. Anyway at this point I figure I'm WAY ahead of the game so if I ever do need to replace one with my own money I'll just pony up.
    Generally speaking it is a really bad idea to insure for anything that is non catastrophic. The insurance companies have figured the odds, they add on to of that their overheads, their profits, cost of fraud etc.


    The exceptions to this are:
    1) Insurance where the insurance company is your advocate in terms of price. Ie you insurance is acting as a kind of buyers consortium for you. Example if I go to the doctor and he bills me $500. My insurance knocks him down to $250 and I pay a small co pay. For my insurance company the cost is $230, so on one hand my benefit is $230. But in real terms my benefit is $480 as I save another $250 by having the insurance company act not only as an insurer but as a buyers consortium negotiating price.
    2) Where the insurance company is your judicial advocate/lawyer or at least letterhead protection against suits. Your auto insurance does this a lot
    3) where insurance is skewed to cost the same and where insured customers with less benefit underwrite your cost/benefit ratio.
    4) Insurance that is deductible as an expense (but keep in mind uninsured losses are deductible as well).
    5) Insurance costs on Sprint can be slightly mitigated by considering that they can push you to a higher profitability scale on sprint (eg can make you a premier customer). this has a small benefit if you exploit it.

    In the past the TEP insurance on handsets had some outlying factors that did make it slightly attractive:
    1) There was in the past less of a efficient liquid market on handsets. This made self insurance more expensive.

    But this is not the case any longer as there is a thriving ebay market. That ebay market reflects efficiently the quick fall in real market costs of any particular handset.

    2) in the past the cadence of replacement discount was only every 24 to 22 months.

    This is now less of an issue as on sprint there is a new moderate discount at 12 months.

    3) in the past the cost of insurance of high end phones was identical to low end phones. This meant a bunch of suckers carrying insurance on 18 month old dumphones worth $50 were underwriting your costs of insurance on your top of the line one month old smartphone.

    But now your costs are higher as smartphones have a higher deductible ($100 vs $50)

    4) In the past Sprint would give you hard time/cost about them servicing the device under normal one year warranty.

    But they no longer do hassle you as Malatesta noted in a recent posting on the front page of WMexperts and you now get warranty service from sprint with NO insurance for the first year (when your phone has the most value and replacement cost).
  8. #88  
    It is 100 dollar deductable plus the fees for starting up the "new" phone which is usually refurbished. AND, palm has a product warrenty for regular faults and there is always some regular fault. For instance, the 800 has a bug where the alarm and some other sounds don't work when it is charging. You blame thatr and say you need a new one
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions