Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 88
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What do you do after the warranty expires?


    Ebay, because you'll be able to get Treo Pros there a year from now for about the same price as continually paying insurance. And with an Ebay purchase, you'll be able to buy brand new instead of a refab. Buy a device with a box, battery, back cover and accessories, instead of Asurion likely tossing you a unit that does not even come with a battery or back cover. And many people who have received replacements through Asurion have received refabs that didn't even include a battery. But odds are greater, that if your device last a year, it will go well beyond that year, probably till you replace it for a newer device rather than a defect.

    And as far as replacement plans go, given the costs, pretty much every replacement plan except Asurion's is a better deal. The in-store plans at places like Best Buy are less a rip off than Asurion.

    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Where on Palm page tell you on how to get the phone repaired?

    I cant find it.
    You go to Sprint first, if Sprint refuses, they will gladly give you Palm's contact information, just so you'll leave them (Sprint) alone.

    Some folks here are planning to go from the 800w, to the Treo Pro, to the Palm Pre. 3 devices moving to each new one in less than a year, all within warranty periods and still worried about insurance...
  2. #62  
    In my case the math sold me against insurance. However, on a more personal decision, to pay insurance to cover a crapy product only encourages the Carrier/OEM to release more crapy products.

    Ant I did get to replace a 700p not having insurance for a 755p after about 6 months. Still was cheaper than insurance.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post


    Insurance companies don't gamble. They fully understand statistics.
    If insurance companies fully understood statistics, they would never have to pay out a claim, nor would they ever have to raise their rates.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Ebay, because you'll be able to get Treo Pros there a year from now for about the same price as continually paying insurance. And with an Ebay purchase, you'll be able to buy brand new instead of a refab. Buy a device with a box, battery, back cover and accessories, instead of Asurion likely tossing you a unit that does not even come with a battery or back cover. And many people who have received replacements through Asurion have received refabs that didn't even include a battery. But odds are greater, that if your device last a year, it will go well beyond that year, probably till you replace it for a newer device rather than a defect.
    My only experience with a phone replacement was with a 755p that Sprint replaced with a brand new phone, in the box, with all accessories included. All I gave them was the old phone, got to keep the old box and accessories.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This is why the phone is not $500 as you state but much less -- in fact $350 for a new in box, no contract needed, clean ESN. (actually $300)
    I never said the phone sells for that much, I only quoted the prices that Sprint published on their website, their store staff quoted, and Best Buy posted in their store. Please don't put words in my mouth.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  6.    #66  
    aero

    u are neglecting the fact that accidents happen. u seem to got the numbers all worked out but u are ignorant in the fact that math, statistics, science, equations, etc. cant prevent human error.

    we get insurance because we can not (nor can u) ever say that you will not ever drop ur phone. sure paying insurance is costing us money. but we are siding on caution not optimistic view in life. i have car insurance, dental plan, health insurance, etc. do i ever want to be ill? no. and if i dont get sick this whole year, i would save over $1100 (wonder wat gadget i can buy with that). bottom, i have health insurance because if i get sick, then i have some protection for my most important colateral ME

    do insurance companies make money. of course. welcome to a capitalistic society.

    cutting out the whole verbage and lingo thrown at this thread, bottom, if you were to drop ur phone tomorrw, you would be chit outta luck. your only option would be to buy a brand new one several hundreds of dollars. as for who pays the full price for a phone? plenty. dont believe me, ask any sprint store. if someone wants a new toy, by god he will get one.

    in closing, you sound like ur the one whos gambling. sure us insurance holders are paying monthly payments. however, 7 bucks is not all that much in 2009. skip one day of star bucks amonth, cut back on smokes, etc. and there u go. u always say wat about the deductible, wat ab out the deductible, wait till u make a HUMAN error and drop ur phone. you will cry to the insurance gods and ask for forgivness
    I cant remember what PDA's/PPC/Smartphone/Windows Mobile devices that i have had in the past. But simply put, i got the Palm M100 many years ago and was hooked. Since then, i have been upgrading in search for the latest and greatest device. and yes still searching
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    If insurance companies fully understood statistics, they would never have to pay out a claim, nor would they ever have to raise their rates.
    What? Please, don't say anything like that. that is like saying the grocery store doesn't have to hand you the can of peas for $1 if you pay them $1 to make money. The point is they paid $0.75 for the peas!

    You don't seem to get the fact that they have the actuary tables, and they, unlike many consumers are
    - rational
    - informed
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Some folks here are planning to go from the 800w, to the Treo Pro, to the Palm Pre. 3 devices moving to each new one in less than a year, all within warranty periods and still worried about insurance...
    You have it right.
    We kwno if a pre sells for $200 new contract it will be on ebay new in box, clean esn instantly for $350, and if it is $250, it will be $400. If it starts at $350 it will be $250 or less on ebay in six months. Look a the treo 800w. Last month the list price was $600. It is on ebay for as low as $75. If you bought 800w in September and instead of getting ripped off for insurance, applied the money to a bank account you would be able to buy a Pre for $200 out of pocket even with no conttract renewal!
  9. #69  
    I would say keep insurance for 6 months then drop it. By then the phones will be cheap enough to buy out of pocket. 6*7=42 + 50 = 92 if you lose within first 6 months, so that's worth the coverage in my opinion.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by motoq4life View Post
    I would say keep insurance for 6 months then drop it. By then the phones will be cheap enough to buy out of pocket. 6*7=42 + 50 = 92 if you lose within first 6 months, so that's worth the coverage in my opinion.
    That is my whole point, as I earlier stated but it seems to have gotten lost in the fog. Keep insurance as long as it is the most inexpensive alternative to getting a new phone.

    Gesh, have we whipped this dead horse enough????

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  11. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #71  
    There is no info about how to take your phone back to get repair by Palm. That is the thing. Palm doesnt want the phone fix. They want Sprint to do it.

    Hence we need to get insurance.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You have it right.
    We kwno if a pre sells for $200 new contract it will be on ebay new in box, clean esn instantly for $350, and if it is $250, it will be $400. If it starts at $350 it will be $250 or less on ebay in six months. Look a the treo 800w. Last month the list price was $600. It is on ebay for as low as $75. If you bought 800w in September and instead of getting ripped off for insurance, applied the money to a bank account you would be able to buy a Pre for $200 out of pocket even with no conttract renewal!
    Gee, where did you get the Pre priceing information? According to the NY Times, the executives at Palm and Sprint haven't determined what the final price will be. Insider information?

    As for the pricing information about the 800w, a few threads ago, you were giving me grief about phones not costing that much:

    Your quote: "Full price is not "$599 to $699". That is a ludicrous made up number that the handsets are NEVER sold at. Please tell me a phone that costs that much!"

    Then you stated: "Again these numbers of $400 or $500 for a new phone are in outer space."

    Then you made the statement: "You are basing your numbers on grossly inflated list prices no one pays."


    It seems to me that when it is to your advantage you will take exception someone like me who is quoting list prices to make their point. But when it is to your advantage to make a point, you'll quote list prices. Which is it?



    My statements that I made were based on real conversations with real people about how much a phone cost me, how much it would cost me to get a phone, and what is the most economical way for me to protect my investment. The prices I quoted were prices that are listed on website and in-store, not made up or pulled out of the air. Not with eBay dealers or after market sellers or guys with phones under their coats offering me a good deal. I don't deal with conjecture or "maybe" or "what if" scenarios, or this phone will be this much after 6 months or a year from now. Actuary tables? Don't talk to me about them. Actuary tables almost bankrupt the state of Oregon several years ago, by an insurance company that thought they knew what they were doing.

    I put the cost of insurance on my phone in the same category as I do health insurance, home owner's insurance, car insurance, insurance when I mail or ship something. It's a cost that I choose to bear for my peace of mind. Not for yours or anyone elses, but mine. One thing I have learned in life is that in the long run, it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

    That's it. I'm done with this thread.



    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Gee, where did you get the Pre priceing information?
    Gee...I said IF it sells for xxxx it will be $150 more on ebay. that is a simple fact borne out by the last 20 or so sprint phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    It seems to me that when it is to your advantage you will take exception someone like me who is quoting list prices to make their point.
    I quoted the list prices to show how silly they are. they are inflated prices no one pays. the only price that matters is the new custoemr price since the maximum anyone needs to pay is $150 over that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    My statements that I made were based on real conversations with real people about how much a phone cost me
    First you will almost always get a refurb. And those are inflated silly prices. do you think people are paying $699 for a Pro over at best buy?
    What makes a price is the markets. A new in box treo pro from excellent sellers with clean ESN and warranty is $300. That is the market price. the real price. the price any rational actor would base somthing like line insurance on.

    Teh fact is insurance qwill mostly get you refurnbs with no chargees, acesopries etc!

    Here is the perfect example:
    Treo 800w:
    "List price": $600
    Insurance refurb value price: $100 (!)
    Insurance deducible: $100

    Loss to customer who had insurance if they made a claim in February: $49

    Insurance situation:
    -you pay $49 in insurance over seven months
    -you pay $100 deducible
    - they give you a refurb.
    you spent $149 and got a refurb

    Non insurance customer:
    Cost of same refurb on ebay <$100

    The fact is the great majority of people wont make a claim at all.

    There is a reson why consumer groups recommend it against this type of insurance. Because people can fool themselves, and don't understand the real price and value of a used handset.

    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I put the cost of insurance on my phone in the same category as I do health insurance, home owner's insurance, car insurance:
    that is not financially sound. those are protections against six figure losses.

    IN those situations you are not pooling your risk (at a higher cost than benefit) because the odds are with you, you are pooling your risk because a loss would be profound.

    pooling risk with insurance compines making 50% profit on risks of losses $100 or $150 is not logical
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You don't want to use your homeowners insurance to try and get a stolen smart phone replaced . Your insurance company would make sure you PAY for that in the long run. And then there's the matter of the deductible and many financial experts advise keeping it at nothing less than $1000.
    That's why you call your home insurance carrier and get a RIDER for the cell phone. If you're getting a rider for just a cell phone (or all cell phones in the house)... I've heard of average prices of as little as $10/yr up to $30/yr. I haven't heard of a rider higher than that for a cell phone.

    Claims on that rider have no deductible and do not affect your regular policy rates.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by rastoma View Post
    That's why you call your home insurance carrier and get a RIDER for the cell phone. If you're getting a rider for just a cell phone (or all cell phones in the house)... I've heard of average prices of as little as $10/yr up to $30/yr. I haven't heard of a rider higher than that for a cell phone.

    Claims on that rider have no deductible and do not affect your regular policy rates.
    That's why I have a rider for my Rolex watch (yes, a real GMT Master, just like Magnum). Costs $100/year, but it's less than the $4000 plus to replace the watch.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    That's why I have a rider for my Rolex watch (yes, a real GMT Master, just like Magnum). Costs $100/year, but it's less than the $4000 plus to replace the watch.
    and that is very rational
    -- since it doesn't drop in price
    -- you may have very little invested in customizing it
    -- a 4k watch is a high mugging target since they can be resold, and you don;t want to hesitate

    That is why I also have a rider on my wife's diamond ring, the main reason in her case being the last, she knows if she were mugged she should just let the ring go since it has 15k of insurance on it.
  17. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #77  
    Has anyone here on Sprint phone return their phone to Palm for repair?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    IN those situations you are not pooling your risk (at a higher cost than benefit) because the odds are with you, you are pooling your risk because a loss would be profound.

    pooling risk with insurance compines making 50% profit on risks of losses $100 or $150 is not logical

    In general, I agree with you. For most consumers, insurance on a cell phone does not make financial sense.

    To play devil's advocate...one could make the argument that for a low income/low net worth individual, e.g., a college student, the insurance might make sense. It depends on at what point the individual would incur financial distress costs in the event of the loss of the phone. For example, if a student needed a treo pro and simply couldn't afford to replace it if lost, without going to a pawnbroker or something (and incurring even higher fees), insurance might financial sense.

    That said, anyone not in that situation is fooling themselves into thinking they can beat the house, if they think insurance for a cellphone makes financial sense.

    G
  19. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #79  
    I try very hard once again to look at Palm printed Limited Warranty on my Pro and on Palm's website and it is a merry-go-round. It is not friendly! I cant find anything on it and short of calling them.

    Basically if it not an GSM phone which Palm had to fix, they want you to sent it back to Sprint.

    So, hence forth, having to have a complicated life short of going back to living in mud houses, its better to pay insurance.

    No?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  20. #80  
    Just adding this article to this thread because it's fitting to have it mentioned here.

    Sprint warranty changes, for the better

    Looks to me like one less reason to bother with Asurion.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions