Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I bought an unlocked Treo Pro from NewEgg, and have it setup through T-Mobile. NewEgg had an extended warranty 1 year for $45.99 2 years for $125.99. I bought the two year plan, so it's about $5.25 a month. It doesn't cover lost or stolen, but it's the best I could get. It covers:
    If you purchased it via credit card, your card might cover cases of lost or stolen.

What you paid for has a 0 deductible.

That's the kind of plan I'm more willing to fall for . (If it were me I'd probably have gotten the 1 year, since if I drop and break the device after a year I'd probably want to upgrade to something else .)
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If you purchased it via credit card, your card might cover cases of lost or stolen.

What you paid for has a 0 deductible.

That's the kind of plan I'm more willing to fall for . (If it were me I'd probably have gotten the 1 year, since if I drop and break the device after a year I'd probably want to upgrade to something else .)
    I purchased it via my debit card, so I am not sure if it would be covered or not if it was lost or stolen. I've never lost a cell phone yet (knock on wood). I have dropped two company owned Nextels over the last 15 years and broke them. So my biggest concern is dropping it and breaking it. I figured two years is about the longest time I go before upgrading.
    For the record: I HIGHLY recommend getting the repair service for $4/month. It saves you $55 every time you need the phone repaired or replaced. When it comes to Treos, experience says that insurance is invaluable.

The extra $3 is for lost, stolen, physically abused or liquid damaged phones, of which there's a $100 deductible. And, if it IS physically damaged (cracked housing, cracked screen, etc), it's $120 to replace in store anyways. Liquid damage, loss or theft is obviously a moot point.
    I always get the extended warranties on major purchases, like my Treo, my refrigerator, my truck, my HDTV. I have never had to use it, but I just feel safer with it. I never buy it on minor purchases, under $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Used Treo Pros, will be $150 to $200 on ebay in months. There is a $100 deducible if you make a claim. that is $87 (more considering tax and present value) plus $100 or a $200 cost to you in a single year loss, and chances of loss are probably more like 1 every three years.
    You only have to pay the deductible if the unit is physically damaged, ie, dropped in water, broken screen, etc. I have had units replaced without the deductible applied due to a malfunction of the phone, such as the 755p doing resets all by itself. I dropped the insurance when they did raise the deductible to $100, because you can find used Sprint Palm phones for as little as $50 on Craigslist or eBay. With the Pro, I don't know how long it will take the price to drop, so I added it back on.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    ..... With the Pro, I don't know how long it will take the price to drop, so I added it back on.

I am sure the price will drop when the Pre comes out, but the Pro is really a nice phone. I am real happy with mine. If they come out with an unlocked Pre in the fall, I am sure I'll sell my Pro on EBay and get a Pre.
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    For the record: I HIGHLY recommend getting the repair service for $4/month. It saves you $55 every time you need the phone repaired or replaced. When it comes to Treos, experience says that insurance is invaluable.
    That is the main reason I get the insurance. Sprint will nickel & dime you, and/or treat you like a nobody if you don't have it. And with the disount I get on my bill, it's like getting the insurance for free.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Let say your phone died within 1 year all the time(I am sure), would it be wise to get the $7 insurance?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Let say your phone died within 1 year all the time(I am sure), would it be wise to get the $7 insurance?
    Is it wise to pay for something already covered by warranty? That's like buying a car that has a warranty and then getting a 2nd warranty from a 3rd party that covers the exact same things.

But hey, some of us enjoyed wasting money for some years .
    Only if your phone gets lost, stolen, or dropped in water. But you can't get coverage for just that, you have to take the full package. So it would be either pay the $120 repair charge (for damage) or the $84 insurance. But even with insurance, if your phone is stolen or lost, you would have to pay the full price of $599-$699. My homeowner's insuracnce would cover that, but it could take days or weeks to get it to happen. Paying for the insurance is also paying for the peace of mind that you're covered.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am sure the price will drop when the Pre comes out, but the Pro is really a nice phone. I am real happy with mine. If they come out with an unlocked Pre in the fall, I am sure I'll sell my Pro on EBay and get a Pre.
    I agree the price will drop eventually, and when it does I'll drop the coverage. That is what I did with the 755p. But until then, it's the peace of mind that I get from knowing that if I'm a klutz and drop it, I'll only have to pay the deductible and not the full price.

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    OK, I forgot about that.

Lets say my Sprint Treo phone died past the 30 days but within 1 year. It just died. I didnt drop it or anything. Can I take it back to Sprint store and get it fix FREE even though I didnt pay any insurance?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Only if your phone gets lost, stolen, or dropped in water. But you can't get coverage for just that, you have to take the full package. So it would be either pay the $120 repair charge (for damage) or the $84 insurance. But even with insurance, if your phone is stolen or lost, you would have to pay the full price of $599-$699. My homeowner's insuracnce would cover that, but it could take days or weeks to get it to happen. Paying for the insurance is also paying for the peace of mind that you're covered.

I never thought about Homeowners insurance covering a lost or stolen phone. I wonder if I have that through State Farm? I'll have to call my agent to find out.
    You don't want to use your homeowners insurance to try and get a stolen smart phone replaced . Your insurance company would make sure you PAY for that in the long run. And then there's the matter of the deductible and many financial experts advise keeping it at nothing less than $1000.

I used to say I'd drop the Asurion coverage once my device got older, but by the time it is older you've forgotten and become used to just paying...

Chong67, if your device dies within the warranty period, if Sprint won't replace it free of charge the manufacturer will.
    OK, I forgot about that.

Lets say my Sprint Treo phone died past the 30 days but within 1 year. It just died. I didnt drop it or anything. Can I take it back to Sprint store and get it fix FREE even though I didnt pay any insurance?
    I believe that is the case. I purchased a 755p off of eBay that was new. Had it activated in the store and added insurance to it. Within two months, I had the problem with it resetting on it's own several times a week. Took into the Sprint store, they said there was a problem, and ordered me a new phone. I was surprised I got a brand new one, not a refurb/reconditioned unit.

Last edited by ivhs72; 03/23/2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You don't want to use your homeowners insurance to try and get a stolen smart phone replaced . Your insurance company would make sure you PAY for that in the long run. And then there's the matter of the deductible and many financial experts advise keeping it at nothing less than $1000.

I used to say I'd drop the Asurion coverage once my device got older, but by the time it is older you've forgotten and become used to just paying...

Chong67, if your device dies within the warranty period, if Sprint won't replace it free of charge the manufacturer will.
    I've had this policy with Allstate for almost 30 years. It is one that they won't write anymore. But we have full replacement on everything with a $50/deductible. I agree you'll pay for it in the long run, but then we've never had any major claims against our policy. I've also never said I'd used it to replace a phone, only that it is covered under our policy. My agent told me that it could also be covered under my car insurance policy, and that it would be a comprehensive claim, for which I have no deductible.

I just found a 2 page thread on this issue. Some insurance companies won't cover cell phones, other will for like $30 a year

State Farm insurance on iPhones - Mac Forums
    no no no. "peace of mind" is on consumer electronics is a sales pitch for high profit insurance, not a rational factor

Your examples are WRONG
    #1:it is not $120 vs $84. it i is $120 vs $184. You forgot the $100 deductible.

Full price is not "$599 to $699." That is a ludicrous made up number that the handsets are NEVER sold at. Please tell me a phone that costs that much!

This is a treo pro thread. on sprint insurance, right?> so we are talking aobu the Treo Pro Srint. They are new in box, clean esn, no contract, about $250 to $325 on Ebay from reputable sellers. They will continue to drop in price.

The only way for insurance to make sense is for people to make elementary mistakes in math and elementary mistakes in what insurance is for (catastrophic loss).
    No insurance for me.

From a financial perspective it doesn't seem rational.

Insurers are the business to make money. So on average, you will pay more to the insurer than you will get back. In general, insurance only makes sense if you are willing to pay the profit the insurer gets on your policy because the loss you are insuring against would cause financial distress. (major auto accident, major illness, etc).

G
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    ....Insurers are the business to make money. So on average, you will pay more to the insurer than you will get back....
    I think we all learned this quite well from AIG and the million dollar bonuses
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast