1.    #1  
    Navit looks totally fantastic -- totally free open source with maps covering the whole planet that can be put on a 2GB card.

Has anyone actually tried it on the Treo Pro? It looks incredible, so I'm surprised nobody's talking about it...

Navit on Windows - Navit's Wiki
  2.    #2  
    Since nobody replied, I went ahead and gave it a shot.

The program works a bit (it displays a built-in map of a part of Munich), but moving around in the map doesn't work. Icons also go off the edge of the screen, so it appears that 320x320 isn't supported.

Although fresh builds are being posted daily at the following site, it's not really usable now. (Bummer!)
    Index of /navit/wince/svn
    thanks for trying it out, i'm looking for which one is best
    For (currently)free turn by turn directions, what about Nav4All

Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!

It appears to work fine, though it is certainly not a Tom Tom or anything. I have it running on my Treo Pro successfully and have used it a few times. it is still in development, and some of the menu options that look interesting are not yet enabled.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RAReed0219 View Post
    For (currently)free turn by turn directions, what about Nav4All

Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!

It appears to work fine, though it is certainly not a Tom Tom or anything. I have it running on my Treo Pro successfully and have used it a few times. it is still in development, and some of the menu options that look interesting are not yet enabled.

I noticed it says free until the first of the year, AmazeGPS is also free, I have used it a few time, it has voice prompts, and decent maps.
    But I use Google maps, Live search, and Garmin more, infact I find myself using Google more then most, even though I don't realy trust their maps, there are errors on some streets. But it is just so easy to do a search on it.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    I noticed it says free until the first of the year, AmazeGPS is also free, I have used it a few time, it has voice prompts, and decent maps.
    But I use Google maps, Live search, and Garmin more, infact I find myself using Google more then most, even though I don't realy trust their maps, there are errors on some streets. But it is just so easy to do a search on it.
    Terry
    Can you download the Google maps to your Treo? otherwise i need wifi all the time to use it, right?