Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80
  1.    #1  
    More or less a holder to discuss GPS.
    A: Full feature programs:

    1) TomTom 6 and 7
    a: Works fine with exception of not natively starting the GPS on your Pro. Once GPS is started TomTom finds the GPS so this is not a gpsgate port assigner requirement that we had the 800w.

    So for Tom tom you first have to start any of many another GPS application, such as google maps, livesearch, or a simple gps utilities in order to trigger gps start up on the Pro.

    Forum member Insol has made a nice cab that does just that and starts tomtom as well.

    b: in some cases newest versions can interfere with Bluetooth function. Workaround is to delete two files created by tomtom in your windows directory. Delete or rename:
    \windows\BtSdkCE30.dll
    \windows\BtCoreIf.dll
    then reset.

    2) Navigon: Works fine. you will want to look at the 320x320 .xml and other config files noted by user oVan on his website treoprotricks.com

    3) Garmin Xt: Works fine

    4) IGO: may need a trigger like TomTom, awaiting specific info from someone using it.

    B: Position accuracy:
    Forum member chocmatic reports this helps accuracy -
    [PROB]TouchPro GPS lag problems - xda-developers
    Last edited by aero; 04/25/2009 at 05:37 AM.
  2. #2  
    I'll have to try those, do those do audio?

    I was trying it last night with Live and its precise. Although the directions didn't keep up from time to time. Also when I sat still at a light the arrow would start to point north for some reason. Worked very well though.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    More or less a holder to discuss GPS.

    I am running TomTom7 and it is working well. I have also tried Navigon and Garmin XT and they work.
    do you have to prime the gps with astrogpslauncher or gpsgate?
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I am running TomTom7 and it is working well. I have also tried Navigon and Garmin XT and they work.
    I have been a TomTom6 user for some time. Where did you get TomTom7? I would like to upgrade, but as far as I can tell they don't sell TomTom7.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    do you have to prime the gps with astrogpslauncher or gpsgate?
    no. certainly not with navigon and not with garmin. I am running into occasional "gps device not found" messages on tt7, but it is an older tt7 version. it is intermittent, and fixed quickly with a prime via googlemaps or livesearch. That is different than tt7 on 800w which would not find the gps ever without gpsgate (not a primer but a port director).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    I have been a TomTom6 user for some time. Where did you get TomTom7? I would like to upgrade, but as far as I can tell they don't sell TomTom7.
    yes it isn't for sale. people fall all over the spectrum on doing this, my own belief is that if you somehow get an equal sum to the maker, say buy buying the map from them for another product you don't have, the ethical considerations are mitigated. so this stuff is "around"
  7. #7  
    Good to know. I am waiting for my SD card to arrive so I can load TT6.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  8. #8  
    I want tom tom. how much does it cost? i couldn't see it on there site.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    no. certainly not with navigon and not with garmin. I am running into occasional "gps device not found" messages on tt7, but it is an older tt7 version. it is intermittent, and fixed quickly with a prime via googlemaps or livesearch. That is different than tt7 on 800w which would not find the gps ever without gpsgate (not a primer but a port director).
    Yeah, now that i'm playing with the Pro and TT7, i see that that's the case. Since I don't want to start Live Search or Google Maps before starting TT7, looks like I'm back to my .mscr that starts GPSGate and then TT7
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    Yeah, now that i'm playing with the Pro and TT7, i see that that's the case. Since I don't want to start Live Search or Google Maps before starting TT7, looks like I'm back to my .mscr that starts GPSGate and then TT7
    the implementation sees slightly different than the gsm pro model I checked where tt worked without gpsgate. on the 800w you could not get it to work ever without gpsgate. I wonder why sometimes tt picks it up and sometimes not on the cdma pro.

    I don't see a compelling advantage to tt7 over garmin and I think the simplest for most would be to use garmin
  11.    #11  
    updated
  12. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #12  
    Yes I have to prime my TT7 before it can get going.

    I have yet to turn off my phone signal to see if the GPS works.

    I remember AstroGPSLauncher that prime your GPS for use with TT6 on the Mogul. Do anyone makes that for the Pro?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  13. #13  
    What would make Tom Tom any better than TeleNav that I have on my phone? I turn TeleNav on it follows me where ever I go. I can find places with it. What makes Tom Tom better?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    What would make Tom Tom any better than TeleNav that I have on my phone? I turn TeleNav on it follows me where ever I go. I can find places with it. What makes Tom Tom better?
    1) Telenav can cost users who are not on everything plans $10 per month
    2) Telnav network dependent, Telanav does not work on 95% of the globe, including quite a few rural areas in the US.

    There are quite a few drawbacks to telenav, but those are the prime ones
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Yes I have to prime my TT7 before it can get going.

    I have yet to turn off my phone signal to see if the GPS works.

    I remember AstroGPSLauncher that prime your GPS for use with TT6 on the Mogul. Do anyone makes that for the Pro?
    efficasoft gps utilties is working to prime tt7. advantage over priming by gpsgate or googlemaps:
    - more stable than gpsgate
    - doesnt requirte a network connection like gmaps and livesearch
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    1) Telenav can cost users who are not on everything plans $10 per month
    2) Telnav network dependent, Telanav does not work on 95% of the globe, including quite a few rural areas in the US.

    There are quite a few drawbacks to telenav, but those are the prime ones
    Thanks for that info.

    I had never had GPS before, and didn't know a lot about it. TeleNav came on my unlocked Treo Pro and I took the free 30 days. During the first 30 days, it got me out of two major traffic jams caused by snow storms, by letting me see alternate roads to go on. Plus I found a couple pretty good Chinese restaurant by my house, that I didn't know existed.

    I have only used it the Chicagoland area, so it's seemed to be a good option for me. I did go ahead and bought a year of service though TeleNav for $99. I will take a look at the Tom Tom when my subscription to TeleNav runs out.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  17. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    What would make Tom Tom any better than TeleNav that I have on my phone? I turn TeleNav on it follows me where ever I go. I can find places with it. What makes Tom Tom better?
    Two words .. smooth scroll Go to store and take a look at a TT device that hang on the windshield.

    TT7 the cursor is smooth.

    iGuidance and Garmin the cursor is jerky. If you have two street very close would you rather see a smooth scroll or jerky scroll on your screen when you need to make a split decision?

    If I have to choose between the two, I choose TT. That is what I have install on mine now. I only have a 8gb microSD and I dont have much space left.
    Last edited by chong67; 03/23/2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  18. Tmair's Avatar
    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Two words .. smooth scroll Go to store and take a look at a TT device that hang on the windshield.

    TT7 the cursor is smooth.

    iGuidance and Garmin the cursor is jerky. If you have two street very close would you rather see a smooth scroll or jerky scroll on your screen when you need to make a split decision?

    If I have to choose between the two, I choose TT. That is what I have install on mine now. I only have a 8gb microSD and I dont have much space left.

    Garmin is not jerky on my HTC Touch!
    And I never have to prime it, it just works!
    Terry
  19. #19  
    So far, the standalone GPS performance has been inconsistent. The skies were clear yesterday and today.

    Yesterday, after doing a reset, the GPS locked on to the sats within 30 seconds in Google Maps.

    Taking the same route today, it just sat there searching for satellites. After a few mintues, I saw it connecting to PowerVision and then it locked on. I think it was getting its' GPS data from the network this time because when I stopped under a bridge, it still showed GPS active.

    I'm wondering if the COM 4 port assigned to GPS apps gets locked up after using Google Maps or WLS. Is there any way to tell?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Taking the same route today, it just sat there searching for satellites. After a few mintues, I saw it connecting to PowerVision and then it locked on. I think it was getting its' GPS data from the network this time because when I stopped under a bridge, it still showed GPS active.
    If you are on google maps you should see Powervision right way or get nothing because google maps needs it to get the maps, and because the agps will attempt to get epehmeris and almanac, all of that is over the pv network.

    stopping under a bridge doesn't matter, my dedicated gps will keep a lock on four or five sats under bridge.

    You cant test for consistent behavior using google maps.
    Last edited by aero; 04/25/2009 at 05:39 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions