Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    i have to pay for TomTom still right? I was looking for a free solution here.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Ah, I get it. TT7 is free to use. But you have to pay for the maps.

Are the maps I have on my TomTom One any use with TT7?
  3.    #63  
    This isn't the free software solution thread. It isn't about the $240 you may pay for sprint navigation. It is about function of different software.
    There are a couple of free solutions for you (Google Maps, WLS) but I think you will find that the functionality is greatly reduced when compared to Garmin or TT. However, one might not need all the features interlaced within the the GPS bad boys.

You should give them a try and see what exactly you are after in a GPS program. $250 might a steep price to pay or a small amount of what you think it is worth to you.

Good Luck!!
    yeah i think i will just stick with the TomTom GPS i bought for my 755p. That's what my trusty 755p has been reduced to.... a GPS device but hey, i only had to pay about $55 for that!
  6.    #66  
    yeah i think i will just stick with the TomTom GPS i bought for my 755p. That's what my trusty 755p has been reduced to.... a GPS device but hey, i only had to pay about $55 for that!
    This is the excellent value of standalone GPS on a quality WM cell phone. When you are done with it as a phone, even if its ebay value drops very low as they drop in resale value faster and faster, you can always have it has a throw in the glove box, or take with you on a trip overseas GPS, and wifi email device.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I see TT Navigator 7 is now official and is offered for sale on TT's website.

Obviously, it doesn't include any Palm phones as compatible, but then it's a pretty short list anyway.

TT are always so dreadfully slow to add new phones to their 'compatible' list I sometimes wonder if they actually want people to use their software. Usually, by the time a phone's got added, you can assume it's obsolete!
    Maybe I'm just lucky... But it would appear that the latest version of TT7 does not need GPS priming? Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I'm having some difficulty in getting TT6 working with the Treo Pro. I had it working, then went to Canada and tried it without network access. I couldn't get it to work, then I used my backup bluetooth gps. That works, but now TT6 won't connect to my internal gps. I've deleted the bluetooth gps from the system, but no-go. Any thoughts (other than delete/reinstall of TT6)?

Thanks,
    Chris
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky... But it would appear that the latest version of TT7 does not need GPS priming? Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
    gksmith, see the first post. we have all used "priming" to mean different things. In the case of TT7 on the Treo Pro something is required: a triggering of the GPS on the the Pro.

The latest tt7 does not require a port assigner like gpsgate (as the 800w did), but TT& is not capable of triggering a start of the GPS on the Pro.

If you active livesearch, google maps or any other wm gps using program first, then tt7 will work. there is actually a cab file posted at the top which does this for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    gksmith, see the first post. we have all used "priming" to mean different things. In the case of TT7 on the Treo Pro something is required: a triggering of the GPS on the the Pro.

The latest tt7 does not require a port assigner like gpsgate (as the 800w did), but TT& is not capable of triggering a start of the GPS on the Pro.

If you active livesearch, google maps or any other wm gps using program first, then tt7 will work. there is actually a cab file posted at the top which does this for you.
    Aero, I know what has been said, but, after a soft reset, I was able to fire up TT7 WITHOUT firing up any other GPS apps and getting a sat lock within about 30 seconds. AND THIS WAS IN MY BASEMENT! LOL

So, again, I have to ask if anyone else has seen this behavior or if I'm just lucky... I have THE MOST CURRENT version of TT7 for PPC available from XDA Developers.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I use GPS Start, which was a program posted here by a member. Otherwise, TomTom wouldn't get a lock.

What version of TT7 are you using? I'm using 7.910.9185.
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by robin24k View Post
    I use GPS Start, which was a program posted here by a member. Otherwise, TomTom wouldn't get a lock.

What version of TT7 are you using? I'm using 7.910.9185.
    That's the one I'm using as well, I believe. And, trying again, I'm not getting a sat lock, so it must've been a fluke last night.

Bummer... I'll have to look into GPS Start. :-)
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    Ok... here is the app. All this does is open the GPS, start TomTom (or any exe you want -- see below), take 3 GPS measurements, and exits. It runs invisible, so you wont see anything but TomTom load, unless you run it with a switch to be visible (see below). Then you can see the GPS info (simple GPS app), but it won't start TomTom or anything else.

If you just install the cab it will make the appropriate shortcut called GPS_Starter in your programs folder. If you have done a default installation of TomTom with the navigator application installed in your main memory, then all you have to do is click the GPS_Start icon. If you installed the TomTom app (not its voices or maps) to a non standard location you will have to tell the GPS_Starter program where it is -- this procedure would be the same if you wanted to "prime" some other app. To do this, you need to make a new shortcut that includes the full path to the TomTom app exe (or whatever other prog exe you want to run).

If you want something free to make the shortcut you can get Qmenu (QuickMenu v2.8 freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.). It is a startmenu replacement program that can also make shortcuts for you -- make sure to go into settings and disable run on startup if you don't want it to replace your windows menu (but you might like it better than the default). The pictures below show you how to make a shortcut with parameters (GPS_Start installs to \Program files\Utilities\ by default). Right now the program does not handle links so you have to point everything at the exe files.

Attachment 18922
    Hmmm... Is it normal for it to take two to three minutes for TT7 to get a signal lock using this app?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Hmmm... Is it normal for it to take two to three minutes for TT7 to get a signal lock using this app?
    I get locks in TT7 quickly (between 5 and 60 seconds roughly) using the GPS_Starter app, others have noted the same. However, the app doesn't do much but start the GPS. In my experience TT7 gets a lock quickly as long as something else opened the GPS first -- you could use GPStoday, Google maps, or any other GPS program to open the GPS first. The GPS_Starter app just does what it says in the post: "open the GPS, start TomTom (or any exe you want), take 3 GPS measurements, and exits."

The app uses the native .Net GPS library calls -- nothing special. You can also run GPS_Start with "visible" and see GPS info and how long it take to get a lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I get locks in TT7 quickly (between 5 and 60 seconds roughly) using the GPS_Starter app, others have noted the same. However, the app doesn't do much but start the GPS. In my experience TT7 gets a lock quickly as long as something else opened the GPS first -- you could use GPStoday, Google maps, or any other GPS program to open the GPS first. The GPS_Starter app just does what it says in the post: "open the GPS, start TomTom (or any exe you want), take 3 GPS measurements, and exits."

The app uses the native .Net GPS library calls -- nothing special. You can also run GPS_Start with "visible" and see GPS info and how long it take to get a lock.
    Thanks for the application and the info. :-)
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

17.    #77  
    Aero, I know what has been said, but, after a soft reset, I was able to fire up TT7 WITHOUT firing up any other GPS apps and getting a sat lock within about 30 seconds. AND THIS WAS IN MY BASEMENT! LOL

So, again, I have to ask if anyone else has seen this behavior or if I'm just lucky... I have THE MOST CURRENT version of TT7 for PPC available from XDA Developers.
    You were somehow lucky.
    no. normal is about 10 to 30 seconds

But please remember it also depends on your access to aGSP.

If you hard reset and do not allow aGPS (or have inaccurate epehmeris and no aGPS by going for example tio Italy with your Sprint Pro) it could take 12 to 15 minutes to get the very first fix in good conditons becasue you are essentially doing a factory start.

without AGPS
    Factory start, different hemisphere, no agps, up to 15 minutes
    Cold start without agps, eg hard reset in north America, phone off, is a couple of minutes.
    Warm start (ie some accurate ephemeris): 30 seconds or so
    Hot start (all recent and up to date alm/eph within a few hours of last use): near instant

With aGPS
    Factory and cold start are equal about one minute
    Warm and hot starts: near instant.
    Does Sprint Navigation (GPS) cost extra if you already have unlimited data plan? I'm probably just going to stick with my stand along garmin nuvi, but may play with it if it's free.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    suppose you were lucky enough to have installed TT7 (cab file) on your treo pro...and now you were willing to buy maps from TT, but would have to buy them for a device you didn't necessarily own...which device would you select, or does it matter?

thanks for all these posts, i am a former 650 owner using the palm os TT6 gps, and since getting the Pro, i have been trying to figure out how to move my TT, but i was told that the maps for Nav 6 are two yrs old, and i can't get Nav 7 and new maps yet!
    Has anyone been able to get their Treo Pro to work with TomTom Home?
    Last edited by xxrzdxx; 08/06/2009 at 08:12 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234