Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Some more observations with TomTom:

"NO GPS device detected" is meaningless. If you turn off phone radio and evdo, soft reset to radio off state and start another gps program like efficasoft gps utilities you will see the efficasoft achieved a sat fix on up to 11 sats. Starting tomtom7 you sill see "no gps device detected" and no sats noted, including in advanced sat screen but TomTom will show your accurate position and will maintain it.

I greatly prefer tomtom7 but as I am setting up my wife as well and want simplest usage and startup, I am leaning towards garmin or navigon which do not require any program to prime.
    I'm going to try this

[PROB] TouchPro GPS lag problems - xda-developers

Settings are for the HTC Touch Pro. However, I was able to apply all the setting changes to the Treo Pro. I will post update later today.
    I used gps during lunch and the changes above in the link above helped. Before, I was about a block ahead from where the gps was showing. Now, it's pretty damn close to being 100% accurate. Hopefully that helps other peeps out.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    I used gps during lunch and the changes above in the link above helped. Before, I was about a block ahead from where the gps was showing. Now, it's pretty damn close to being 100% accurate. Hopefully that helps other peeps out.
    Thanks I've added it to the top post
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Thanks I've added it to the top post
    Cool! I was starting to feel like I had the Touch Pro GPS in my hands...that wasn't a pleasant experience.

Edit:

I forgot to add link in the last post. You will need these files

DivShare File - AdvanceConfig_3_5Net.zip

Edit 2: 5th and 6th tries didn't were not as good as the first four. 1 to 2 lag..if that
    Last edited by chocmatic; 03/25/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    I installed TT6 on it last night and itt came right up. Today, it couldn't connect to GPS.

I have mine set to use "other NMEA device" on COM4. Is this correct?
    I thought I read that the Pro came with Google Maps and Telenav installed....where are they located?
    Treo 700p, Palm Centro, Treo 700p (again), Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
    I thought I read that the Pro came with Google Maps and Telenav installed....where are they located?
    The Sprint TP does not have Google Maps. Telenav is under Programs as Sprint Navigation.
    After starting/exiting Google Maps, TT6 started working again. I thought it did not require priming.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    After starting/exiting Google Maps, TT6 started working again. I thought it did not require priming.
    As I mentioned in the first post, it does require priming. What it does not require is port assignment outside of wm normal handling. I.e. it does not require gpsgate as the 800w did.

TT6 and TT7 won't trigger the GPS on your Pro. starting any other GPS program, and acquiring gps through aGPS or standalone GPS, is needed for TT.
    As I mentioned in the first post, it does require priming. What it does not require is port assignment outside of wm normal handling. I.e. it does not require gpsgate as the 800w did.

TT6 and TT7 won't trigger the GPS on your Pro. starting any other GPS program, and acquiring gps through aGPS or standalone GPS, is needed for TT.
    Thanks.

I read your original post, but since it only concerned TT7 I thought only that version required priming. There was an entire thread on TT6 from other people using it and no mention by anyone else of having to start Google Maps or other GPS app first.

I'll continue using it for now, but I sometimes travel to areas of the US where there's no access to PowerVision and Google Maps seems to need it to get its' GPS fix.

I saw you mention Navigon in another post. Is it available for the US?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    I'll continue using it for now, but I sometimes travel to areas of the US where there's no access to PowerVision and Google Maps seems to need it to get its' GPS fix.
    efficasoft gps utilties is working to prime tt7. advantage over priming by gpsgate or googlemaps:
    - more stable than gpsgate
    - doesnt require a network connection like gmaps and livesearch
    There are a lot of simple gps programs from wm that not require powervision but which will prime (start) the Sprint Treo Pro GPS for TomTom. EG
    eg Efficasoft GPS Utilities (Pocket PC) - Complete GPS navigation and mapping utilities for Windows Mobile Pocket PC - Efficasoft
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I have a small app (.net exe) that will start the GPS (thus priming tomtom) then will start any program (tomtom by default), after which my program just exits... think: a simple "prime, run, and exit" program. I run it to start TomTom for me, works well...

Anyone want me to upload here?

I also have a simple program that does the same with an internet connection. I use GSPlayer to stream (I like its straight forward playlist) and it does not start my Internet connection... so I wrote an app that would connect and then start any program (exe) you tell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I have a small app (.net exe) that will start the GPS (thus priming tomtom) then will start any program (tomtom by default), after which my program just exits... think: a simple "prime, run, and exit" program. I run it to start TomTom for me, works well...

I also have a simple program that does the same with an internet connection. I use GSPlayer to stream (I like its straight forward playlist) and it does not start my Internet connection... so I wrote an app that would connect and then start any program (exe) you tell it.
    Sure...never hurts to try it
  15.    #35  

thanks very much I will put it up top if you upload and link
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I was just testing my GPS priming to make sure things were working well enough to be posted and I discovered something interesting. If I prime the GPS (my app will provide GPS status info on the screen, if told to remain open) then go into TomTom it works great (and has been working for me for a while now). I never turn off my radio tho.. and I pretty much always have cell coverage.

Well, I just tried to see if everything works without the cell radio on (no data connection possible) and while my app gets the GPS sats and positions, TomTom never does (or at least didn't in the 3 minutes I gave it to lock in sats). This happens even if my app is run first or even ater TomTom is already running.

Despite this problem, assuming you have coverage/cell radio on, I don't have any trouble with TomTom and my app... However this radio off experience would suggest that my app is not necessary, if a data connection is available.

I will post the app tonight either way... and provide details on its use.
  17.    #37  
    I was just testing my GPS priming to make sure things were working well enough to be posted and I discovered something interesting. If I prime the GPS (my app will provide GPS status info on the screen, if told to remain open) then go into TomTom it works great (and has been working for me for a while now). I never turn off my radio tho.. and I pretty much always have cell coverage.

Well, I just tried to see if everything works without the cell radio on (no data connection possible) and while my app gets the GPS sats and positions, TomTom never does (or at least didn't in the 3 minutes I gave it to lock in sats). This happens even if my app is run first or even after TomTom is already running.

Despite this problem, assuming you have coverage/cell radio on, I don't have any trouble with TomTom and my app... However this radio off experience would suggest that my app is not necessary, if a data connection is available.

I will post the app tonight either way... and provide details on its use.
    see my post on this thread from 3/24.

The issue is not priming as in kicking gps with agps , from my tests, it is priming in the sense of tomtom being unable apparently to actually start a gps session of any kind on its own. (unline Garmin, navigon and a dozen programs which do start the treo pro gps in both standalone with radios off or in agps)

Let's separate the issues which people use the term priming for on threads here, in xda and ppc:
    1) Programs initiating/starting GPS (not a problem on treo pro, but a problem with tt6&7 on many/all ppc)
    2) GPS api/port handing within windows (not a problem on treo pro)
    3) triggering agps (not a problem on treo pro)
    4) maintaining current ephemeris in cache (not a problem on treo pro)

#3 and #4 is not an issue. Trep Pro seems to try agps and if not it will use stored ephemeris and almanac and f not present and current download them from the birds. ie its default behavior seems pretty optimal already.

#2 was an issue with 800w. this was solved with gps gate on 800w, which not only started gps but acted as kind of a port handler. This is not an issue with Treo Pro CDMA since if you test it you can see tomtom7 works without gsgate and what is more tomtom7 will work on either "built in gps receiver" or on "other nmea gps receiver"

#1 is the only issue as far as I can tell for TT7. TomTom simply will not or has no way to start the Treo Pro GPS receiver. Once started it wokrs ok -- even if it reports no receiver (pointing to some kind of internal handling issues).

Here is my test to determine this using "efficasoft gps utilities" and tt7.

Test A:
    -turn handset to airplane mode
    - reset Treo
    - Turn on tomtom
    - place treo pro in optimal outdoor conditions
    Result: no fix after several hours. Tom tom reports "no gps device", and reports no positon movment

Test B:
    - Turn handset to airplane mode
    - reset treo
    - Start efficsoft gps utilities (or one of several other non net dependent gps utlities)
    - gps utilties will get fix in standalone on Pro from a) 5 seconds hot, to b) warm start of 20-60 seconds, to c), cold of about one to two minutes
    - start tomtom after starting efficasoft gps utilites.
    - Tom tomt will report no gps device and no gps fix, but start walking or driving and you will see in fact tomtom is getting and using a fix and it is fine.

If this testing is correct, and others can verify, what we need for tomtom, and probably igo, (but not garmin, navigon, googlemaps or livesearc) is to determine a gps utiltiy or program that:
    a)has the smallest footprint
    b)is highly stable
    c)does not require a net connection
    d) automatically aquires gps (with efficasoft you have to go inot its menu and "start gps"
    e) is amenable to running in a string that can also start tomtom
    f) is free

Efficasoft: requires two key taps after start, costs
    geoterrestrial on today screen: seems a bit unstable to me
    Again this is only for tomtom and igo.
    Last edited by aero; 04/01/2009 at 06:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    see my post on this thread from 3/24.
    The issue is not priming as in kicking gps with agps , from my tests
    Agreed. The real issue (at least in my test) is that TomTom lies about having a GPS signal. My earlier test was invalid, as I was not moving and simply checking TomTom to see if it said it had a lock. Later on I tried the exact same test on the train (by the window of course) -- so I was moving.

Despite TomTom's insistence that it "lost the GPS signal ### sec/minutes ago" it was tracking me perfectly. The amount of time "ago" steadily increased to more than 20 minutes despite clear tracking on the TomTom map -- 20 minutes on the train covers quite a bit of distance. As soon as I turned the cell radio back on (without exiting TomTom) it stopped lying.

Aero, I recalled seeing your post about TomTom's ability to lie and realized the problems with my earlier test. Long and short is: I think its ok. I will cab up my app in the next few minutes and post it.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok... here is the app. All this does is open the GPS, start TomTom (or any exe you want -- see below), take 3 GPS measurements, and exits. It runs invisible, so you wont see anything but TomTom load, unless you run it with a switch to be visible (see below). Then you can see the GPS info (simple GPS app), but it won't start TomTom or anything else.

If you just install the cab it will make the appropriate shortcut called GPS_Starter in your programs folder. If you have done a default installation of TomTom with the navigator application installed in your main memory, then all you have to do is click the GPS_Start icon. If you installed the TomTom app (not its voices or maps) to a non standard location you will have to tell the GPS_Starter program where it is -- this procedure would be the same if you wanted to "prime" some other app. To do this, you need to make a new shortcut that includes the full path to the TomTom app exe (or whatever other prog exe you want to run).

If you want something free to make the shortcut you can get Qmenu (QuickMenu v2.8 freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.). It is a startmenu replacement program that can also make shortcuts for you -- make sure to go into settings and disable run on startup if you don't want it to replace your windows menu (but you might like it better than the default). The pictures below show you how to make a shortcut with parameters (GPS_Start installs to \Program files\Utilities\ by default). Right now the program does not handle links so you have to point everything at the exe files.

GPS_Starter.cab
    Nice application insol. Everything seems to be working great. I'll do some more testing later today. I had to use Qmenu since I installed everything to the SD Card.

Thanks!!!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast