Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    You know, not knowing that Sprint/Palm decided to pull the 800w in favor of the Treo Pro, I purchased one of these a couple days ago on ebay. I'm wondering if Palm will continue to make corrections to improve the stability of the phone? I know that in the past they've updated each Treo line up with at least one Rom update.

Any ideas on whether or not Palm will keep it up with this one? Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwoo View Post
    You know, not knowing that Sprint/Palm decided to pull the 800w in favor of the Treo Pro, I purchased one of these a couple days ago on ebay. I'm wondering if Palm will continue to make corrections to improve the stability of the phone? I know that in the past they've updated each Treo line up with at least one Rom update.

Any ideas on whether or not Palm will keep it up with this one? Thanks guys!
    No idea, but yeah history says they get at least one and unfortunately, they usually come 9+ months into the device.

Palm has mostly scrapped their WM department from what I understand, so no telling.

Personally, I never assume any device will get a rom update.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I really hope they do an update on the phone, it seems like they are making small updates that will be erased with a hard reset. Putting those into a new rom will definitely help. Also heard of some stability problems for the 800w, is that common?

Wow if they are scrapping their WM department, what happens to the Treo Pro?

BTW I was a user of the 700p, 755p and decided to try the windows version of Treos since I could no longer sync my emails through versa mail

Thanks for the info, lets hope for the best
    Sprint Treo Pro was basically made by HTC through and through with Palm guiding final design, approval, etc. Palm's WM phones are basically just re-branded devices nowadays. Treo 700wx, 750 and 800w are the last of a kind for them.

re: stability, like all WM phones, it varies. Mine is rock solid and so are others here at TC; then there are those who have had lots of problems. Pretty common on Wm forums.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    cool thanks!
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    It would be a welcome surprise to get a ROM upgrade for the 800w. The only really annoying issue I have trouble with is the random unable to connect/loss of connection issue. You'd think that was a fixable bug.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    My best guess is a resounding - NO.

Palm has left this device for dead.
    Last 800w update was in August of last year, although they have at times changed the dates posted for when those 800w updates were released, the last one really came out last August, just before the Treo Pro. Once the Treo Pro came out, nothing more has come for the 800w.

Palm often has made cradles for devices, they never made one for the 800w, but some of us knew something was fishy when the Treo Pro got one!

Palm made a 3.5mm headset jack or wired 3.5mm headset jack adapter for every Treo I can think of, at least for all that can play music, except the 800w.

Moonwoo, if you can still return that 800w for refund, you'll get an "update" by getting a newer Treo, namely the Treo Pro. That's a guaranteed upgrade . Even if the Treo Pro never has a ROM update, the 800w bugs were fixed and stand alone GPS works.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    well I think I'll just hope for the best and see if they will release a ROM sometime in the future. Treo Pro sounds great but it looks like it has the same keyboard as the Centro. I used to have a Centro and I couldn't stand the small keys. Plus the current price tag of the Pro is practically doubled the 800w price. I wont expect anything from palm though
    I think that the 800w will go the route of the 700wx (Sprint, of course) and that'll be it. -- And WinMo 6.5 is 99.9999% a NO.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwejason View Post
    I think that the 800w will go the route of the 700wx (Sprint, of course) and that'll be it. -- And WinMo 6.5 is 99.9999% a NO.
    But, didn't the Sprint 700Wx have a ROM upgrade? Updater 1.15 (Windows Installer) Treo 700wx for Sprint

No upgraded OS, but still a ROM upgrade to fix some bugs.

That's the most we can hope for I think.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    yes they did. I think I would be very pleased if they released a new ROM just to fix bugs. I agree that we wont see a new OS update (For sure)
    when I last spoke to them on the GPS issue I got the distinct impression that the majority of their WM development staff was permanently gone.
    I think the Pro is safer since this is htc, but the 800w is all palm and I think the WM office at Palm has been essentially shuttered.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    But, didn't the Sprint 700Wx have a ROM upgrade? Updater 1.15 (Windows Installer) Treo 700wx for Sprint

No upgraded OS, but still a ROM upgrade to fix some bugs.

That's the most we can hope for I think.
    that in it's self would be enough to start cooking custom roms. that would allow the comunity to fix it them selves which most of the time is better than carrier releases anyhow.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    that in it's self would be enough to start cooking custom roms. that would allow the comunity to fix it them selves which most of the time is better than carrier releases anyhow.
    You're so right. I'd prefer to have the community working on it, rather than just the Palm group--whatever might be left of it.
    I think they should do it