1.    #1  
    Well, I thought is was too good to be true. When I first got the Treo Pro, I could use the Sprint Navigation program and it didn't accrue any charges on my bill. Today I went to use it, and it loaded as usual but I now I get a screen that tells me in order to use it, I need to purchase it. For 24 hours it's $2.99, or $9.99/month. I'm not a big user of a nav package but I thought that the unlimited data portion of my SERO would let me use it. Wrong.

On the plus side, I downloaded the new version of Google Map, and guess what? It works flawlessly with the Pro's built in GPS. I installed it, opened it up and had it find my location. It was accurate, but off by about 1000 feet. I asked it to use GPS from the menu. A little screen popped up sayin "locating satellites", and within 15 seconds found 8 of them, and automatically corrected my postion to within 15 feet. Pretty cool.

Has anyone else tried playing with the GPS, putting it through it's paces? It would be nice to see how the stock program compares to the aftermarket addons.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Funny I just responded to you in another thread regarding this. Try Live Search which is preinstalled. It does the turn by turn as well (minus the audibles), but for free!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Is this something new? I used Sprint Navigation on my 800w forever w/o charges
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC1906 View Post
    Simply Everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC1906 View Post
    And you're on a SERO plan?
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I think the TP comes with TeleNav which has always been a monthly subscription based GPS solution. I'm not sure if they've rebranded with the Sprint name on the STP but TeleNav did come standard with the GTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I think the TP comes with TeleNav which has always been a monthly subscription based GPS solution. I'm not sure if they've rebranded with the Sprint name on the STP but TeleNav did come standard with the GTP.
    Yea Sprint puts their brand on it. And uses an older than current version of Telenav.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    On the plus side, I downloaded the new version of Google Map, and guess what? It works flawlessly with the Pro's built in GPS. I installed it, opened it up and had it find my location. It was accurate, but off by about 1000 feet. I asked it to use GPS from the menu. A little screen popped up sayin "locating satellites", and within 15 seconds found 8 of them, and automatically corrected my postion to within 15 feet. Pretty cool.

Has anyone else tried playing with the GPS, putting it through it's paces? It would be nice to see how the stock program compares to the aftermarket addons.

I just tested gmaps also. I turned off the phone first and had it acquire my location. I wasn't able to zoom in on my location to see how accurate it was, but I'm assuming gmaps needs a data connection for map data.

Didn't know those numbers indicated the number of sats.

I purchased Oncourse Navigator 8, but haven't been able to get the program to run. This was very disappointing after reading CrozB's review. It certainly hasn't been the "pop the card in and it works" experience I'd hoped.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html

I'm working with their tech support to resolve and hope to be able to provide a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    I purchased Oncourse Navigator 8, but haven't been able to get the program to run. This was very disappointing after reading CrozB's review. It certainly hasn't been the "pop the card in and it works" experience I'd hoped.

I'm working with their tech support to resolve and hope to be able to provide a review.
    I have the GSM Treo Pro. I bought a copy of TomTom Navigator 6 on ebay & it works really well.
  10.    #10  
    I just tested gmaps also. I turned off the phone first and had it acquire my location. I wasn't able to zoom in on my location to see how accurate it was, but I'm assuming gmaps needs a data connection for map data.

Didn't know those numbers indicated the number of sats.
    I didn't have a chance to turn my phone off. After I installed it, I opened it up, and it found me. I zoomed in and found that it was off by about 3-4 blocks (I was next to the hospital I work at, may have had some interference with the building). I selected use GPS, and it opened up a tiny window that said "searcing for satellites". In about 15 seconds it found 8 of them and adjusted my postion.

I just opened it up now, in my shop where I get no coverage of any kind, and it says that I need a data plan from my provider to work correctly. Kind of interesting, I didn't get that when I opened it the first time. I guess it goes out and automatically starts to do stuff when you first open it up.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I have the Alltel version of TP and I have been an avid fan of google maps for over a year on past phones (windows live and yahoo kinda blow).

I drive a truck for a living, so I really put the GPS through the paces to find where I need to go on the cheapest and fastest route for me. It would be nice if a commercial vehicle version existed (PCMiler has copilot 11, but it is flawed.)

Google Maps has it's flaws too, outdated maps, incorrect addresses, and an occasional shutdown, but for the money it has saved me and the money I invested in it (none) it is the best program for GPS routing.

By the way, I like how the TP can locate me in under 15 seconds. Damn, that's scary.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I used amAzeGPS on my Touch PRO, which is a 100% free (AD/Coupon based) nav program that is very data heavy for the maps... Worked great on my Touch PRO, have not installed it on the TREOpro yet...

link: amAze - Free GPS Navigation for your mobile phone!

Croz has the Unlocked GSM Treo Pro (GTP).
    Is yours a Sprint Treo Pro (STP) ?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I have the STP with Simply Everything. I have not used Telenav but I have used TomTom 7 extensively as well as smaller apps like GPSToday, GPS Speed Sentry, Google Maps and a couple of my custom GPS apps. All work quite well.

One comment: it still seems to use AGPS by default (it connects to 1x or EVDO). This generally gives me fast sat locks in all apps. I do know standalone appears to work too because when I first got it, before activating it in the store, with the phone radio off I tried GPS Speed Sentry from my memory card. It was a little slow to lock; I had to walk out of the store and then it took about 3-4 minutes. I didnt time it though so it was around that long.