1.    #1  
    One thing I have noticed in looking to replace my crapberry is that the Treo Pro is dual core. Its in the Palm Data on their site, link is below.

palm.com/us/assets/pdfs/TreoPro/Pro_SP_Datasheet.pdf

(cant post urls yet)

Can this be confirmed and if so is this why its so quick?
  2.    #2  
    nm Ive found my answer... however this did suprise me big time.
    what is the answer?
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    what is the answer?
    The specs on the Palm site show the Sprint Treo Pro as having a dual core processor, but not the GSM Treo Pro.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    Wow, that means it is as good as my DeLorme PN-40 gpsr unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    The specs on the Palm site show the Sprint Treo Pro as having a dual core processor, but not the GSM Treo Pro.
    GSM has it too, it's not really a new thing (it's nearly 3 years old already). The GSM version is the msm-7200; Sprint's is the msm-7501a--basically they are the same chipset, one is GSM the other CDMA. The "01" part means the CDMA version does not violate Brodcomm's patents and therefore can be imported. The "a" part refers to the 65nm size of the cpu (vs 90nm of the non-"a" versions).

The main processor is an Arm11 and the co-processor is Arm9 on both devices.

Re: "Is this why it is faster?" The answer is no. The Sprint version is just clocked higher (528mhz vs 400mhz for the GSM), which is a setting done in the bios. Technically all chipsets are built to run at 528mhz but they are usually set lower because only a select few can actually run at that speed reliably, which is why they cost more. It's also why we can "overclock" these processors, but some fair better than others.

The reason for "dual core" is one processor runs the radio and the other is dedicated to the OS. This division of labor sounds good on paper but has been an alleged source of performance issues with this chipset, specifically that the ARM11 does not perform as expected, hence the lag often reported with these devices.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/18/2009 at 12:58 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    GSM has it too, it's not really a new thing (it's nearly 3 years old already). The GSM version is the msm-7200; Sprint's is the msm-7501a--basically they are the same chipset, one is GSM the other CDMA. The "01" part means the CDMA version does not violate Brodcomm's patents and therefore can be imported. The "a" part refers to the 65nm size of the cpu (vs 90nm of the non-"a" versions).

The main processor is an Arm11 and the co-processor is Arm9 on both devices.

Re: "Is this why it is faster?" The answer is no. The Sprint version is just clocked higher (528mhz vs 400mhz for the GSM), which is a setting done in the bios. Technically all chipsets are built to run at 528mhz but they are usually set lower because only a select few can actually run at that speed reliably, which is why they cost more. It's also why we can "overclock" these processors, but some fair better than others.

The reason for "dual core" is one processor runs the radio and the other is dedicated to the OS. This division of labor sounds good on paper but has been an alleged source of performance issues with this chipset, specifically that the ARM11 does not perform as expected, hence the lag often reported with these devices.
    I'm aware of the Qualcomm chipset/processor information, I just found it odd that the specs for the STP specifically point out "dual-core" while the specs for the GTP make no mention of it.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505