Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really liked using the red end / home key as a press once to end an app and again to turn the screen off. I know the Pro has a button at the top to turn off the screen, but... Is there a reg hack for that?
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    yeah I would like to know as well. This is a bit annoying
    yeah this is a bit annoying :O
    I have the same problem. It has to do with a 'keyguard' bug that I believe Palm wll not fix anytime soon.

Sometime ago I called Palm and got a technical support ticket for this issue and was told that when we press the 'red'/end buttom the Pro's keyguard function was programmed just to lock the device immediately, forcing it to turn off.
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    I really liked using the red end / home key as a press once to end an app and again to turn the screen off. I know the Pro has a button at the top to turn off the screen, but... Is there a reg hack for that?
    It still works the same way - if I understand what you are saying.

While in an app, press the end key once to end/close the app. press again and it will lock the screen and turn the screen off.
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post

Yeah my Treo Pro works that way too. So I'm not sure what you mean. Although I don't think pressing the red key ever actually closed the app. It just minimized the app and returned you to the today screen.

Also if you press and hold the red key, it turns off the device without returning to the today screen. I think this is an improvement of the 750.
  7.    #7  
    Yes, it does work like that, but I don't want to lock the keys, just turn off the screen. You would think there would be an option or reg hack for it. I am looking now for the a reg entry...
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    I would sure love it if someone found a way to "prevent" the red key from locking the treo. It would seem that the Palm guys would have acknowledged the preference setting for keyguard on this. I have keyguard "disabled", therefore the red button should not lock it. Or at least have a separate option for the red button. I never use keyguard. Seems silly Palm didn't make that an option. I'm hoping for a hack from one of the guru's here.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I second the request. I do not want the keylock "keyguard" at all. I use throttlelock and have no need for the keylock. I have it set to disabled in the system pref. but it still pops up when you tap the RED button.
    Just use the AE Buttons plus application. You can bind many keys to whatever you like. I have my red key bound to go to today screen at first press, 2 presses close application, long press turn display off. With this app you can bind many keys using 1, 2, 3 or long presses. I would recommend backing up your phone before you start experimenting with this app as I could not find instructions on how to use it. It is fairly intuitive though, and did not take me long to figure it out. Here is the web link (sorry not highlighted, web site wont let me post links)

ae.inc.ru/
    You can use the app AE Buttons Plus to bind the red key and many other keys to do whatever you want. You have the option to bind 1,2,3 and/or long press for each key. I have my red button bound to first press close to today screen, 2 press close application, long press turn off display. I would back up your device before you start experimenting with this app because I could not find any instructions. It is fairly intuitive though, and did not take me long to figure it out. Here is the link for the app.

ae.inc.ru/
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    How do you bind it to only work in application. (Like the Today Screen)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Ok been messin with AE Buttons for about a hour and I cannot get it to work on the red button when I am in the Today screen. All I want it to do is power off device.
    Oops sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread. You can adjust the red button using AE buttons, but I missed your intent of turning off the keylock keyguard. AE buttons has an option to bind any button to turn off the display, but it still enables the keyguard. I don't think AE buttons can disable the keyguard.

The application blackme turns off the display without enabling keyguard, but you have to exit out of the application after you awaken the screen which is annoying. What it does provide is the ability to ignore that it is running in the background, and close it later while the keyguard won't let you do anything until you unlock it. Maybe use ae buttons to bind red button to run application blackme so now it won't enable the keyguard.

I agree, it would be nice if someone knew a reg edit to turn off the keyguard. You can find blackme here:

(sorry cant post links yet ) freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-blackme.html
    Last edited by awwcrap; 05/05/2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Is this it?

Blackme
    Just call me Berd.
    Yes that's the link I couldn't highlight at the bottom of my post I personally use the blackme app to turn off my display while in a call to save battery, but I can awaken the screen without pressing the red button which ends the call.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I finally killed that pesky keyguard.

I used MemMaid to look at my startup services. I found the KGUServ and set it to manual. Now the keyguard is gone.

I then used AE Buttons to set my RedButton (press twice) as power off. works great.

I also found a small program called PowerOff 1.1 That works really well and you can assign it using HButtons to power off the device. After the device has been off one minute ThrottleLock 0.6 then locks the device.

So far working good. Hope this helps someone.

OrionNE
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionNE View Post

I used MemMaid to look at my startup services. I found the KGUServ and set it to manual. Now the keyguard is gone.

I then used AE Buttons to set my RedButton (press twice) as power off. works great.

I also found a small program called PowerOff 1.1 That works really well and you can assign it using HButtons to power off the device. After the device has been off one minute ThrottleLock 0.6 then locks the device.

So far working good. Hope this helps someone.

OrionNE
    I did the same thing. However, when I'm on my today screen and i press the red button, it doesn't turn off my display. I have to have an application open for it to actually turn the display off
    Current Device: Treo Pro

Devices: Palm m100 -> Palm m505 -> Toshiba E330 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p ->Treo 700wx -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionNE View Post

Cool.

Well we're half way there. I'd just like to remap the red key to power off like the other power off button--not sure I wanna go down the AE road just quite yet just for that feature. OTOH, I can't find the registry settings for the Red key to do it manually...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Cool.

Well we're half way there. I'd just like to remap the red key to power off like the other power off button--not sure I wanna go down the AE road just quite yet just for that feature. OTOH, I can't find the registry settings for the Red key to do it manually...
    Neither have I. The usual suspects don't pan out and I've done a search for various terms ("keyboard","endkey", "end", "home", etc.)

It's super annoying to have to remember about that top button, not intuitive at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast