1.    #1  
    I don't know if any of you use this option, but I've used it on all my past Treos and loved it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to work for my Treo Pro.

Normally if you go in Voice Command, check the box labled Phone and go to Options and check Announce incoming call, your phone will ring twice and say "Call from [Tyra Banks] on Mobile Phone". I find this feature very useful when the phone is on the other side of the room or not within arm's reach.

Would anyone mind checking to see if this is a Treo Pro issue or just something defective within mine? Thanks In Advance..
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC1906 View Post
    I don't know if any of you use this option, but I've used it on all my past Treos and loved it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to work for my Treo Pro.

Normally if you go in Voice Command, check the box labled Phone and go to Options and check Announce incoming call, your phone will ring twice and say "Call from [Tyra Banks] on Mobile Phone". I find this feature very useful when the phone is on the other side of the room or not within arm's reach.

Would anyone mind checking to see if this is a Treo Pro issue or just something defective within mine? Thanks In Advance..
    My STP doesn't seem to announce the name either through the main phone.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    i have the exact same settings set as i did on my treo 800w and sprint treo pro wont announce. my 800w does announce.
    Same issue with my treo pro. Seems a bug needs to be fixed. I also notice that it silences the ringer when it should actually be anouncing. Therefore the ringer time is greatly shortened, and thus it's easy to miss hearing the ringer. So this bug needs fixing, Palm.
    Sprint cust svc was surprised that the voice command program is installed on the pro and told me that they discontinued the program March last year. I inquired about it because I'd read an older post in some forum regarding VC being discontinued. My Pro does occasionally read aloud my sms or calendar reminders, so I just took that as a bonus.
    I use a Motorola T505 in my car and it talks to me. Actually it scares me most of the time when it starts talking. It announces incoming calls and messages.

Newegg.com - MOTOROLA T505 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone Handsfree Car Kit Bulk - Bluetooth Cell Phone Accessories

My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Another "non fix, you have to lay out some more money" option is a BlueAnt V1 headset.

It'll "announce" the number of incoming calls (not the contact name though). Nice substitute for VoiceCommand, however much more limited.

Amazing BT though that has full voice control.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Found a fix on another site and I saved it to my memory card: please note this was copied and pasted for my use but I will share it here. My voicecommand works perfect now. Again, I take no credit for this, I just did alot of reading and found the fix.

Edit this registry key:
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\TTSAnnounce\Category
    Change from VoiceCommand1 to Ring

As originally stated, it works, but sounds level is low. To increase the sound level, I did this edit:

HKCU\Control Panel\Sound Categories\Voice Command1\AttenutationCategory

I set it to 4 which is decent, you can go to 5, but I see no difference going louder. Using 0 or 1 will make it whisper quiet.

If that does not make it louder, then edit:
    HKCU\Control Panel\Sound Categories\Ring\AttenutationCategory

Same thing, set to 4 or 5.

I didn't have to make any changes to InitVol registry settings as previous people stated.

Now the phone will speak callers name and phone type (IE, "home"), if my BT headset is enabled then it will spreak it over the headset instead.

I also like it better when "Michelle" talks a little slower, as previously stated that can be changed by editing:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech\Voices \DefaultTTSRate

Mine defaulted to 5, I dropped it to 1 which is normal/slightly slow talking. I think I might bump it up to 2 at some point.

Hope you all enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
    Found a fix on another site and I saved it to my memory card: please note this was copied and pasted for my use but I will share it here. My voicecommand works perfect now. Again, I take no credit for this, I just did alot of reading and found the fix.

Edit this registry key:
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\TTSAnnounce\Category
    Change from VoiceCommand1 to Ring

As originally stated, it works, but sounds level is low. To increase the sound level, I did this edit:

HKCU\Control Panel\Sound Categories\Voice Command1\AttenutationCategory

I set it to 4 which is decent, you can go to 5, but I see no difference going louder. Using 0 or 1 will make it whisper quiet.

If that does not make it louder, then edit:
    HKCU\Control Panel\Sound Categories\Ring\AttenutationCategory

Same thing, set to 4 or 5.

I didn't have to make any changes to InitVol registry settings as previous people stated.

Now the phone will speak callers name and phone type (IE, "home"), if my BT headset is enabled then it will spreak it over the headset instead.

I also like it better when "Michelle" talks a little slower, as previously stated that can be changed by editing:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech\Voices \DefaultTTSRate

Mine defaulted to 5, I dropped it to 1 which is normal/slightly slow talking. I think I might bump it up to 2 at some point.

Hope you all enjoy.
    I don't know, I tried setting up all of these changes, but no luck. I still get nothing. I did notice when I have "Start Menu" selected in the Voice Command settings, that it takes about half a second when I click "Programs" on the Start Menu. Also, I've noticed that the Ring key under Sounds is pointing to \Windows\plmo.mid, but no such file exists.

Thoughts?

-- Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuysTreo View Post
    I don't know, I tried setting up all of these changes, but no luck. I still get nothing. I did notice when I have "Start Menu" selected in the Voice Command settings, that it takes about half a second when I click "Programs" on the Start Menu. Also, I've noticed that the Ring key under Sounds is pointing to \Windows\plmo.mid, but no such file exists.

Thoughts?

-- Jim
    You do have the settings under Voicecommand>phone>options checked to announce incoming calls?

Did you soft reset your Treo Pro after the registry changes?

Mine worked perfect on the first try. And has worked since.
    I tried these changes but it didn't work for me. It stopped ringing and voicecommand didn't work. I'll try again later this weekend.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    worked fine for me...I just realized that I never hear the phone ring when it just announces the call. i need a combination of both.
  13.    #13  
    Thank you for your efforts thus far. However, by following your steps exactly, I've got it to ring once, then announce the caller...but it never rings again. On the 700wx and 800, it would ring->name -> ring -> name -> ring -> name
    any update on this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    any update on this one?
    I cant even get Sprint to acknowledge that its a problem.

I even upgraded voice command to a new version and that still didn't fix it without the above registry edits. The only issue there is only like half a ring before the voice command announces the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
    I cant even get Sprint to acknowledge that its a problem.

I even upgraded voice command to a new version and that still didn't fix it without the above registry edits. The only issue there is only like half a ring before the voice command announces the call.
    So it is like what other people are experiencing? The ring then voice alert then no more rings?

If so, that is a bummer. I would like it to be like the 800w. Without it, I noticed that I relied on it more than i thought.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC1906 View Post

My GSM unlocked treo pro does that, may be the sprint models don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulabiker View Post
    Sprint cust svc was surprised that the voice command program is installed on the pro and told me that they discontinued the program March last year. I inquired about it because I'd read an older post in some forum regarding VC being discontinued. My Pro does occasionally read aloud my sms or calendar reminders, so I just took that as a bonus.
    Haha, more uninformed c.s reps. They were probably referring to Sprint's Voice Command (a network feaure where you dial * talk, which they did discontinue) and not Microsoft Voice Command, which is a software on Win Mobile phones.
  19. DH1
    I confirm that the fix Mackie posted fixed the voice announce via bluetooth but it won't ring on the phone now. I want it to ring on the phone and announce via bluetooth...
    Last edited by DH1; 02/04/2010 at 04:09 PM.