Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    On my 800w's Today screen I had a line for text messaging, and a separate line for Outlook E-mail. When I got the Pro there was a line for messaging which would bring me to SMS, but once I enabled Exchange email the line is replaced by "Outlook E-mail".

The only ways I have found to get into SMS is to go to a contact and then "send text message" or once I'm in Outlook, click the Inbox drop-down, scroll to the bottom of the tree, expand SMS / MMS, and then click Inbox. PLEASE tell me there's another way because I don't think I can use the phone without one-click access to Outlook and SMS from the Today screen!
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    On my 800w's Today screen I had a line for text messaging, and a separate line for Outlook E-mail. When I got the Pro there was a line for messaging which would bring me to SMS, but once I enabled Exchange email the line is replaced by "Outlook E-mail".

The only ways I have found to get into SMS is to go to a contact and then "send text message" or once I'm in Outlook, click the Inbox drop-down, scroll to the bottom of the tree, expand SMS / MMS, and then click Inbox. PLEASE tell me there's another way because I don't think I can use the phone without one-click access to Outlook and SMS from the Today screen!

You can toggle the Messaging screen on/off under Settings>Today>Items. My screen shows my Email and SMS automatically. I don't think the SMS line shows up till you have an unread message. My email shows up if I have unread messages as well. But you can't separate them and choose to have them show up if there are no active messages. If there are no active messages, it just says "no messages".

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    That's what I was afraid of - They've actually removed functionality from the phone. So if I want to send a text to somebody (And I don't have unread texts) it's a good ten clicks away? If there's no way to enable the functionality of my 800w's Today screen I'm going to have to return the phone. :-(
    That's what I was afraid of - They've actually removed functionality from the phone. So if I want to send a text to somebody (And I don't have unread texts) it's a good ten clicks away? If there's no way to enable the functionality of my 800w's Today screen I'm going to have to return the phone. :-(
    It's two clicks away. Click the little envelope button to the right of the d-pad, then select "SMS/MMS" from the list, or if you don't have the list of messaging accounts enabled, use the left-right action on the d-pad to scroll through the list of accounts.

Is that really a dealbreaker?
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
  5. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Umm, not quite 10 clicks. You can just go into the messaging from the Today screen, and it will open to what you left in on the last time.

If it is not the SMS/MMS screen and you have the "account picker" selected, you can pick from there. If you don't have the account picker selected you can scroll through the accounts using the center key or the envelope icon.

I came from the 750 which was setup like the 800w, but it hasn't been to big a deal for me to pick the right messaging.

Hope I made some sense.

EDIT: I see we both posted the same thing at about the same time dwboston.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    The reason the 800w is so much more intuitive is because of Palms special sauce. This is lacking on the Pro and you are basically just using the standard WM 6.1 messaging interface.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Could there be a reg hack that would add sms back to the Today Screen? It was very useful having it there along with e-mail.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Again, I had this same gripe but I stumbled upon the answer myself:
    If you go to Tools -> Options and uncheck Display account picker when opening Messaging, you'll no longer have to pick which messaging account you want to check, thus you'll be able to go straight to SMS/MMS when selecting messaging from the Today Screen, just like on the 700w & 800w
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Weird, I posted a reply the other day but there's no sign of it.

Being able to open Outlook and click right or left to switch to SMS seems to be an acceptable workaround. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC1906 View Post
    Again, I had this same gripe but I stumbled upon the answer myself:
    If you go to Tools -> Options and uncheck Display account picker when opening Messaging, you'll no longer have to pick which messaging account you want to check, thus you'll be able to go straight to SMS/MMS when selecting messaging from the Today Screen, just like on the 700w & 800w
    Excellent!
    Charliec