View Poll Results: Sprint Treo Pro Reception/Signal?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

25 22.73%
  • Good

33 30.00%
  • Fair

28 25.45%
  • Bad

24 21.82%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Hi All,

What is everyone experiencing with the Treo Pro's signal/reception?

I traded in a Palm Treo 800w, which never gave me any cause for concern. Previous to that, I had a Moto Q9c which had great rf. The Treo Pro however, shows a fairly weak signal. It hasn't caused me any issues yet, but it does worry me a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Hi All,

What is everyone experiencing with the Treo Pro's signal/reception?

I traded in a Palm Treo 800w, which never gave me any cause for concern. Previous to that, I had a Moto Q9c which had great rf. The Treo Pro however, shows a fairly weak signal. It hasn't caused me any issues yet, but it does worry me a bit.
    We have two. I 've activated one Treo Pro and kept one of my 800w activated for now. Took a drive to an area about 5 miles away yesterday with poor spottily reception. What I am seeing is a difference in the indicator vs an actual difference in the signal reception.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    We have two. I 've activated one Treo Pro and kept one of my 800w activated for now. Took a drive to an area about 5 miles away yesterday with poor spottily reception. What I am seeing is a difference in the indicator vs an actual difference in the signal reception.
    So it seems to be more of a software issue with the Pro, than a hardware reception issue?
    you cant let the singal meter fool ya. different devices meter the signal differently.

for example, the fifth bar on one phoneA may be for 90%-100% where a different device (phoneB) could be 80% - 100%. in this case at 88% phone a would be showing 4 bars where phone b would still be showing 5 bars.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I have not seen anything bad yet.

I run wmwifirouter on my Pro last night and I did 5 benchtest on my laptop and I am averaging 1.7 kpbs download and 350 bps upload.

I notice that 3-4 bar in Pro means 4-5 bar on the 800w. 1 bar in Pro means 2 bar in 800w. That is all I am seeing for now.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    So it seems to be more of a software issue with the Pro, than a hardware reception issue?
    Seems to me to be a case of how the meter is calibrated to display.

Perhaps some others are noticing an actual lower performance, I am not. At my daughters house the sprint reception is extremely marginal and is lost in the basement. the actual loss of signal occurred at the same place in both 800w and Pro. for me the 800w meter seems to simply display one more bar regardless, but not hold the signal better.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just do wmwifirouter on my Pro.

Same location, same hour that I do everyday when lunching ...

My tethering seems to be better on the Pro. Maybe because of faster CPU? More memory?

Nothing wrong with the Pro reception. Need to do more investigation.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    If you guys start bugging Sprint now, Sprint will update the radio ROM and it will perform better.

Which is why Sprint Touch Pro owners now have a slate of radio ROMs to choose from.

But if you only talk about it on forums without constantly bugging Sprint, you'll get nothing.

Chong67, given the faster processor, so long as you've got a good signal you were bound see better tethering rates.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If you guys start bugging Sprint now, Sprint will update the radio ROM and it will perform better.

Which is why Sprint Touch Pro owners now have a slate of radio ROMs to choose from.

But if you only talk about it on forums without constantly bugging Sprint, you'll get nothing.

Chong67, given the faster processor, so long as you've got a good signal you were bound see better tethering rates.
    I emailed Sprint this morning about the issue. I figured it is better to have it on record and just sit and take it.

I still love the phone overall.

Sprint updates the radio ROM when they do a ROM update. If and when the STP gets a ROM update, they may change the radio software. But that doesn't guarantee that it will improve the signal, which has more to do with the location of the physical antenna and level of component interference. Usually radio updates fix network issues, network thresholds, adjust polling, amount of power pulled vs. idle etc.
    If WMWifiRouter was consuming 100% CPU cycles or anything near it, that would be true. Since that program (or PDANet) don't use much in terms of CPU, the actual processor speed has little effect. Tethering method (BT, WiFi, or USB) + reception matters more than processor speed.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/16/2009 at 01:21 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    In my test that I did during lunch, the Pro perform just as good as 800w but definately not worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sprint updates the radio ROM when they do a ROM update. If and when the STP gets a ROM update, they may change the radio software. But that doesn't guarantee that it will improve the signal, which has more to do with the location of the physical antenna and level of component interference. Usually radio updates fix network issues, network thresholds, adjust polling, amount of power pulled vs. idle etc.
    Been working for some Touch Pro owners and the HTC Touch Pro ROM update has not come to the CDMA version yet. There are updated radio ROMs for Sprint though.

Regardless, it's better that people with signal issues notify Sprint now.

If WMWifiRouter was consuming 100% CPU cycles or anything near it, that would be true. Since that program (or PDANet) don't use much in terms of CPU, the actual processor speed has little effect. Tethering method (BT, WiFi, or USB) + reception matters more than processor speed.
    I'm not even going to debate you on this any longer. A device with superior hardware is usually going to get faster transfer rates. Which is going to improve tethering rates. And we already know people saw faster bandwidth even with the recalled Sprint Treo Pro over the 800w.

While I mention CPU, the entire device is newer and allows for faster data transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm thinking it has to do with the radio itself or the fw for it.
    The reason I don't think it's because of "the location of the physical antenna and level of component interference", is because the GSM version gets fantastic reviews.
    I would think the location of the Hardware should be the same Gsm/Cdma.

Just guessing, that is.
    Just call me Berd.
    <<Poll Added>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    In my test that I did during lunch, the Pro perform just as good as 800w but definately not worst.
    same here side by side in several locations
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    you cant let the singal meter fool ya. different devices meter the signal differently.

for example, the fifth bar on one phoneA may be for 90%-100% where a different device (phoneB) could be 80% - 100%. in this case at 88% phone a would be showing 4 bars where phone b would still be showing 5 bars.
    Exactly, Cody is right on.

You have to get your phone into Engineering mode (also called Fieldtest Mode)

I'm not sure what to look for in cdma.
    But with The Gsm Treo Pro I use FieldTest.exe
    Under RSSI 1 there's a reading.
    The lower the number the better.

Link to FT app and manual:
    XDADeveloperWiki - Hermes_Utils

When I did a test comparing my 750 with my Gsm Treo Pro, the readings were very similar.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I would think the location of the Hardware should be the same Gsm/Cdma
    Actually, very often it changes due to different engineering needs. If you look through the FCC docs you'll often see them moving around quite a few components in the interchange, including antennas (wifi, radio, bt), memory, chipsets, etc.
    A device with superior hardware is usually going to get faster transfer rates. Which is going to improve tethering rates. And we already know people saw faster bandwidth even with the recalled Sprint Treo Pro over the 800w.

While I mention CPU, the entire device is newer and allows for faster data transfer.
    Phrases like "superior hardware" are vacuous without qualification. Just because hardware is newer does not mean it performs better. That's just an assumption on your part. Explain to me what architectural differences between the msm6800a and 7501a would allow better tethering performance?

I ran WM WifiRouter on both the recalled version and the official (friend has one) and saw no significant differences between the two devices. Rev A is Rev A no matter how you cut it and no device will exceed or improve upon those limits. Any differences will most likely be due to statistical noise than appreciable differences.

Another case in point: I did those SPB tests back in January between the two devices (800w and Pro): the Treo Pro crushed the 800w on raw data speeds, totally crushes it. But in real life? Either it is barely noticeable or the 800w is faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    From my experience, it is not that the STP has worse reception, it was that the 800w was better at holding onto a 3g signal in low reception areas. That is my STP would kick back to 1x or roam more frequently than the 800w when side by side. But call reception (quality) was similar. That's what people may be seeing.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/16/2009 at 03:21 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm not even going to debate you on this any longer.
    800w benchmark numbers

Treo 800w, GSM Treo Pro and GSM HTC Touch Pro benchmark comparison. [GSM Treo Pro and Sprint Treo Pro have different processors that run at different speeds.] (Still waiting for Sprint Treo Pro benchmark numbers.)

800w versus Sprint HTC Touch Pro benchmark comparison.

(Results that mention "Pro" below are from the recalled Sprint Treo Pro.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    More speedtests results-
    Using WiFiRouter connected to a laptop with Sprint Treo Pro and 800w going to PCpitstop and Speedtest.net sites:

800w - 802 down / 355 up
    Pro - 1425 / 500
    Sprint PC Card - 1350 / 450

After running several tests, the pro was fastest, the PC Card was close and the slowest was the 800w. Is it my 800w that is slow or is this typical?

I would like to figure out why the Pro is faster than the 800w, a question for the experts.
    Last edited by darnell; 03/16/2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Several of those links are shown to either not be credible or simply not referring to a topic in this thread....

Good try...

Mal is on point... again... I'd not debate either... it is pointless.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Several of those links are shown to either not be credible...
    You might feel this has side bared, but to claim some of it has been shown to not be credible. Please prove your statement.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast