View Poll Results: Sprint Treo Pro Reception/Signal?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

25 22.73%
  • Good

33 30.00%
  • Fair

28 25.45%
  • Bad

24 21.82%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmithinny View Post
    II called Sprint to complain and the rep not only didn't seem surprised, he also said "we've received quite a few complaints about the radio in that handset". He quickly offered to ship me a Airave at no charge and also provide the monthly femtocell service at no charge.

I think my experience stands and proof positive but for the doubters, Sprint's comments and actions should put this debate to rest in short order.
    Well I got the same response on the 800w.

Sprint sent me a airave for free with no monthly fee because of they had "received complaints about the radio" on the 800w!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Sprint sent me a airave for free with no monthly fee because of they had "received complaints about the radio" on the 800w!

I want a free airave!!! wats the magic words?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

lol maybe the default answer is "want a free airave and free service" to anyone that complains about reception!

::Virtual High Five:: for free airaves
    i have to say my TP has slightly worse signal that my 800 had. It's pretty close though.
    i was able to get a free airave and airave service through eChat by saying i may need to go to ATT to get the coverage i need at home and work since Sprint can not provide the coverage needed unless Sprint will provide a free Airave and service. the only drawback was that i needed to sign a new 2 year contract on ALL of my lines (which is fine because i have an insanely great plan)
    always searching for the light..
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bricks View Post
    i was able to get a free airave and airave service through eChat by saying i may need to go to ATT to get the coverage i need at home and work since Sprint can not provide the coverage needed unless Sprint will provide a free Airave and service. the only drawback was that i needed to sign a new 2 year contract on ALL of my lines (which is fine because i have an insanely great plan)
    They better not have extended my contract!!!! i agreed to no such thing and will promptly return the Airave. You have me worried now Lord, im going to call Sprint later tonight and enquire when my contract expires.
    You might wanna call and work some mojo. I just called CS and without telling the person why i was calling, gave them my mobile info and asked what my contract end date was. Looks like i got the Airave and free service sans contract extension.
    my contract was not extended with free airave (device and subscrition).
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I want a free airave!!! wats the magic words?
    Insol, it surely depends to some degree on persuasiveness and on other profitability factors and metric on your account (eg where you are the range between "premier" customer, to a discounted sero custoemr with Sprint for a year).
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmithinny View Post
    You might wanna call and work some mojo. I just called CS and without telling the person why i was calling, gave them my mobile info and asked what my contract end date was. Looks like i got the Airave and free service sans contract extension.
    it's all good, i am a Sprint lifer. so long they dont change my plan i dont care much for the contract extension.
    always searching for the light..
    it's all good, i am a Sprint lifer. so long they dont change my plan i dont care much for the contract extension.
    That is all good, but you should keep in mind you get a lot of leverage sand benefit at each contract extension time.
    I admit Palm has always been the best Phone for me so I guess I'm a Palm Lifer. I think I have one of the Best Plans In The World, Much better than most. I have 2 Treo Pro's -true which I'm getting used to but I think this is the Best Palm Yet. Treocentral is a great site & one that I normally go for info & pleasent conversations ( I normally use my other Pro to show the reason for such few posts w/this Pro). So thanks Treocentral & all who have & will help me learn.
    Kudo's
    I'm having the same issue too. And I think it is affecting my battery life negatively. I usually says NO bars in my house or at work, but it will still surf the web or make calls. I don't know what's wrong with it. I did the PRL update.
    I have the same problem w/my 2 Pro's - LOUSY RECEPTION- & the worse part is Airwave only works if you have cable, dish or DSL to hook it up to. So I have a pacive repeater & I hold my Pro up against it & it DL's Fast. That's the only way I've found since no one has posted any ROM or anything anywhere I've been to help us. Jeesh & it's a Treo PRO!?!
    I've had two Treo Pro's and they both seem on par with my 800w...

You can't go by the bars because they are misleading, you're better off looking at your RSSI values. And you have to compare your values over a period of time because they can fluctuate quite a bit. When I have both radios powered on and I'm comparing them side by side (using ##DEBUG#), they are almost always within a few dbm of each other, sometimes 800w is higher sometimes STP is higher, but that's because the sampling intervals aren't in sync.

My first unit actually *seemed* to have better reception, but I didn't spend as much time checking my signal strength as I have on this unit.
    zbop I appreciate that but to be a little clearer, my loading of pages at sites is slow,reception w/phone calls are cautious regards -phone must find signal & phone stay stationary or dropped call.
    But I admit since returning to PIE some of the speed has returned, although there are no bars,maybe one, sometimes two but it fluctuates to the minimal. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    zbop I appreciate that but to be a little clearer, my loading of pages at sites is slow,reception w/phone calls are cautious regards -phone must find signal & phone stay stationary or dropped call.
    But I admit since returning to PIE some of the speed has returned, although there are no bars,maybe one, sometimes two but it fluctuates to the minimal. Thanks
    Hey cscoot, I wasn't replying to you, just posting my comments in general on reception.

As I said, my first TP seemed to have better reception, and the number of times that I've had 0 bars has been disconcerting, which is why I started monitoring my RSSI values and comparing them to my 800w. If I start getting dropped calls or problems with my data connection, I'll get a replacement and see if it does any better. You might want to consider the same if it keeps up.
    Thanks zbop my mistake. i'm Still on the phone w/AT & earlier approved for 2 Pre's but now finding mistaken finance w/Sprnt. I'm telling ya if you don't stick w/it their paperwork is SO Slow it will mess up everything. So many systems so may departments.
    I'm not familiar w/RSSI would you point me in that direction? I'd appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    Thanks zbop my mistake. i'm Still on the phone w/AT & earlier approved for 2 Pre's but now finding mistaken finance w/Sprnt. I'm telling ya if you don't stick w/it their paperwork is SO Slow it will mess up everything. So many systems so may departments.
    I'm not familiar w/RSSI would you point me in that direction? I'd appreciate it.
    RSSI is simply the "Received Signal Strength Indication" and is a more accurate indication of your signal strength than the bars.

Insol wrote a handy little program to view it here: Signal Map

I prefer to use the ##DEBUG# screens because it monitors it and you can watch it fluctuate. Bring up your dialpad on your TP, type in ##DEBUG# and then look at your "Rx Power". More or less the same on the 800w, although I think it is labeled differently.

-70dbm is pretty good
    -110dbm, not so good

The higher the absolute value, the worse the signal is.
    zbop I'm at 102. Thanks for teaching me that but what are the neighbors? Thanks man
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    the number of times that I've had 0 bars has been disconcerting, which is why I started monitoring my RSSI values and comparing them to my 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    RSSI is simply the "Received Signal Strength Indication" and is a more accurate indication of your signal strength than the bars.

Insol wrote a handy little program to view it here: Signal Map

I prefer to use the ##DEBUG# screens because it monitors it and you can watch it fluctuate. Bring up your dialpad on your TP, type in ##DEBUG# and then look at your "Rx Power". More or less the same on the 800w, although I think it is labeled differently.

-70dbm is pretty good
    -110dbm, not so good

The higher the absolute value, the worse the signal is.
    Is there something in the registry or a setting somewhere that could be adjusted to have the bars better reflect actual RSSI?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast