View Poll Results: Sprint Treo Pro Reception/Signal?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

25 22.73%
  • Good

33 30.00%
  • Fair

28 25.45%
  • Bad

24 21.82%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Another issue popped up today. My phone was fully charged when I left my house this morning at 8am - I THINK.

By 10:30 am, with almost no use, the battery was half dead and by 1pm had only 15 percent left. I turned the radio off and it lasted until about 5pm before giving me warning messages.

One thing I did notice was the phone signal going from zero bars, to one bar to two bars and back quite often. I hope this is not going to be an issue. I REALLY like this phone, but I cannot put up with reception that causes battery issues. I did just update the PRL from 60651 to 60652 per the above suggestions.

Not sure what happened, but I hope it is a fluke. I will check again tomorrow.

Did you have BT or WiFi on? They can cause a drain, especially if they are set to find a resource automatically. I have BT on all the time, since that is how I use my hands free in my car, but have not noticed any issues with that draining the battery. I can go most of a day without any problems, usually down 20-30 after 6-7 hours with BT on/WiFi off/radio on. Maybe you've got a bad battery?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I don't want to appear to be a newbie, but what is Airwave?
    See here.

Msglsmo - Was reception good for you where you were going today? Sometimes areas with little or no reception cause the battery to drain while the device tries to get a signal. As was already said you may have a bad battery. Have a talk with Sprint and see if they'll give you a new battery. And keep the battery you have, so you'll have 2. If they ask for your current battery in "exchange", tell them you'd like to keep it and have the new one too, since they don't recycle batteries.
    Thanks for the AirWave info. I remember it now. I ignored it because I have a Comcast phone included in my cable package. Once the price for that goes up, I'll probably look at something like this and drop the Comcast phone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    See here.

Msglsmo - Was reception good for you where you were going today? Sometimes areas with little or no reception cause the battery to drain while the device tries to get a signal. As was already said you may have a bad battery. Have a talk with Sprint and see if they'll give you a new battery. And keep the battery you have, so you'll have 2. If they ask for your current battery in "exchange", tell them you'd like to keep it and have the new one too, since they don't recycle batteries.
    I agree with the searching draining the battery. I'm sitting in my shop now, where I don't get cell reception, and I can see the phone is searching for a signal (the antenna icon has walking dots under it). When I'm at my bench, I have it synced to my computer so any changes on my schedule automatically go to it. Tomorrow I'll leave it unplugged and see how much searching for a day drains the battery.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Did you have BT or WiFi on? They can cause a drain, especially if they are set to find a resource automatically. I have BT on all the time, since that is how I use my hands free in my car, but have not noticed any issues with that draining the battery. I can go most of a day without any problems, usually down 20-30 after 6-7 hours with BT on/WiFi off/radio on. Maybe you've got a bad battery?

I have had this phone since it came out on the 13th and not had an issue. I don't have BT or Wifi on and don't usually anyway. I did not do anything differently today than I did before today.

It's possible that it didn't get fully charged last night and I just didn't pay attention to it. I will put it on the charger over night like always and see how it reacts tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I think that my issue two days ago was related to the phone not being charged overnight. I did not have any issues whatsoever with the battery.

One thing I did notice is that the phone never FULLY charges. Yesterday when I took it off of the charger it was at 98%. Today when I took it off the charger it was at 96%. Shouldn't it be 100% when taken off the charger each day?
    looks like the 'Good' is climbing.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I wrote a small app that will return signal strength from the radio interface layer (RIL) in dBM... It works on my 800w and STP, if anyone wants to test... I can upload it here... Let me know.

Also it ought to work on any WM phone
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    prl of 60652 is now available
    Mine performs as well as my Touch Pro did. I'm in a pretty good Sprint area and the phone has always performed well. The one thing I've noticed with both phones is that they love to switch into 1x for some reason. One annoying thing with the Treo Pro specifically is that I'll see it switch into 1x and then start transferring data, which would explain why some people say they call me and calls go to voicemail. With the Touch Pro it seemed to only do this when the phone got warm, whereas the Treo Pro just seems to do it at random. I've had other Sprint phones around that stay in EV so it's not a tower issue.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I wrote a small app that will return signal strength from the radio interface layer (RIL) in dBM... It works on my 800w and STP, if anyone wants to test... I can upload it here... Let me know.

Also it ought to work on any WM phone
    sure I have both 800w and prprpr $and$ $can$ $test$ $side$ $by$ $side$ $in$ $same$ $locations$
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Let me cab it up and I will post it tonight
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok here it is... Simple app to give signal strength from the RIL. This will work on most WM5+ devices. Beats putting the phone in engineering mode... although it might be interesting to see how closely the RIL matches with engineering numbers.. I am pretty sure the RIL numbers are in dBm, but not positive.

SignalMap.cab

Oh yah you need the .Net CF 2.0+ (already installed on most WM phones older than early 2008)
    Last edited by insol; 03/31/2009 at 11:29 PM.
  14. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Ok here it is... Simple app to give signal strength from the RIL. This will work on most WM5+ devices.
    Thanks very much insol, neat and simple program, works great on my GTP. Here is a ss.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    It seems as though when you are not on a call the phone is in evdo mode and the signal is very week. As soon as a call is placed or answered the phone drops into 1x data and the signal is greatly enhanced. Are evdo and phone conflicting on the treo pro? Could this be a power saver mode where less power is given to the antenna when not on an active call (just enough to recognize an incoming call) and then turned up while on a call. If that is the case, I would have no issues at all. You can turn the power up and down on the wifi chip so I see no reason why the phone would be different. Just not a user accessible option.

I have turned data off completely and seen no improvement in signal quality with the phone on and not on a call.

I have the treo pro for sprint updated PRL as of today and 1.04 firmware. In Cleveland, Ohio.
    The Ev/1x switching while on a call or receiving a text is normal. My Touch and Touch Pro did this.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I am in a unique position to say with 100% certainty, The Treo Pro has TERRIBLE reception.

I have 3 Sprint cell phones, and 1 that we disconnected a few months ago. A BB Curve which is my personal device. A Samsung Rant which is my GF's cell. And a Palm Treo Pro which is a company phone (only had this phone 2 weeks). And the phone we disconnected was an LG rumor.

The BB Curve and Samsung Rant receive about 2 or 3 bars of EVDO and as far as i know, have never dropped or missed a call. The rumor received 3 to 4 bars of 1xrtt and again, never dropped or missed a call.

In the 2 weeks I've had the Treo Pro i've noticed AT BEST it gets 1 bar of signal. So far, i know i've missed 3 calls without the phone ringing (thats what i know of). It has twice dropped a call on me.

I called Sprint to complain and the rep not only didn't seem surprised, he also said "we've received quite a few complaints about the radio in that handset". He quickly offered to ship me a Airave at no charge and also provide the monthly femtocell service at no charge.

I think my experience stands and proof positive but for the doubters, Sprint's comments and actions should put this debate to rest in short order.
    I've had GSM with AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA with Sprint and Verizon. CDMA should be better in the states. The best reception that I have had so far is with my Treo Pro with GSM in the Chicagoland area with T-mobile.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmithinny View Post
    I am in a unique position to say with 100% certainty, The Treo Pro has TERRIBLE reception.

I have 3 Sprint cell phones, and 1 that we disconnected a few months ago. A BB Curve which is my personal device. A Samsung Rant which is my GF's cell. And a Palm Treo Pro which is a company phone (only had this phone 2 weeks). And the phone we disconnected was an LG rumor.

The BB Curve and Samsung Rant receive about 2 or 3 bars of EVDO and as far as i know, have never dropped or missed a call. The rumor received 3 to 4 bars of 1xrtt and again, never dropped or missed a call.

In the 2 weeks I've had the Treo Pro i've noticed AT BEST it gets 1 bar of signal. So far, i know i've missed 3 calls without the phone ringing (thats what i know of). It has twice dropped a call on me.

I called Sprint to complain and the rep not only didn't seem surprised, he also said "we've received quite a few complaints about the radio in that handset". He quickly offered to ship me a Airave at no charge and also provide the monthly femtocell service at no charge.

I think my experience stands and proof positive but for the doubters, Sprint's comments and actions should put this debate to rest in short order.
    I am in Sprint's backyard of Kansas City, so this may explain my experience.

I have never lost a call or had my phone not be able to make a call with the Treo Pro. The bars on the screen are far less than what I had with my Q9c or my 800w, but that said it is still a solid phone. Someone pointed out to me on this board that it seems to be more of an issue with how the bars are displayed on the phone, than it is with actual reception.

I would hope that Sprint will come up with a software update for the radio in the phone in the future to address whatever issues there are.
    Ok here it is... Simple app to give signal strength from the RIL. This will work on most WM5+ devices. Beats putting the phone in engineering mode... although it might be interesting to see how closely the RIL matches with engineering numbers.. I am pretty sure the RIL numbers are in dBm, but not positive.

SignalMap.cab

Oh yah you need the .Net CF 2.0+ (already installed on most WM phones older than early 2008)
    Thanks insol.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast