View Poll Results: Sprint Treo Pro Reception/Signal?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

25 22.73%
  • Good

33 30.00%
  • Fair

28 25.45%
  • Bad

24 21.82%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am getting worse reception with the Treo Pro than I was with the 755p. That is based on reception in my apartment, as well as driving around in my car, not on how many bars are showing. I've had a couple of dropped calls in geographical areas that are not unusual for that to happen. Otherwise the reception is acceptable.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I'm not even going to debate you on this any longer.
    Well now I see why! Look, there's a difference between throwing a bunch of links in a post and forming a coherent, logical argument. There's also a difference between making claims on device you don't own or use and actually having one on hand.

I barely have a Sprint signal in my apartment: 1-4 bars (out of 8) on the 800w and here are my tethering results from speedtest.net. I'll try again tomorrow near a Sprint store where I get a full signal. Basically, this like saying my 56k modem is faster than your 56k modem.

I'm not sure what all your other links were meant to demonstrate. As I previously mentioned the Sprint Treo Pro crushes an 800w on raw CPU scores but in real life, performs nearly the same. If you own or have used the devices, this would be evident.

btw, if you had ever actually run SPB Benchmark recently you would have noticed that their "visualize" benchmarks and comparison system has been down for a few months now, so you probably won't be seeing any pretty graphs via that program till they fix it.

Either way, I think it is becoming evident by the posts in this thread that the Sprint Treo Pro does not excel on reception in its current iteration. Still, i don't think its bad.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/17/2009 at 12:24 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Either way, I think it is becoming evident by the posts in this thread that the Sprint Treo Pro does not excel on reception in its current iteration. Still, i don't think its bad.
    I know it's early in the poll, but I agree, the numbers aren't there.
    We shouldn't be getting posts "the reception is acceptable."

Based on the GSM Great Recep, I expected to see the positive posts to far outweigh the 'it's ok'.

Hopefully as more votes come in, the 'Good' and 'Great' will go up.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Maybe in my copious free time I will write an app that gets radio signal strength from the MS RIL. It wont be calibrated but it might give us a better sense than the bitmap resource bars. I just finished a GPS app... and I have wanted to write something like this for sometime now. Maybe I can combine the GPS with the metering. Shouldn't be too hard.
    I'm switching from Verizon in order to get the Treo Pro, and of course, when I called in the rep said coverage in my area was excellent. Now with the phone, I've got no coverage. Sitting in one place in my condo, my phone switches back and forth between EVDO, 1X and roaming.

Texts come through only sporatically, internet connection is slow when available... but the phone sure looks pretty.

I don't have a good sprint to sprint compairison, but this may not work. Too bad, I was really tired of my 700wx.
    As of now It's
    Just call me Berd.
    As someone said, not going by the number of bars but just call quality, I think it's close to the 800W. I do notice the volume is louder though.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae View Post
    I'm switching from Verizon in order to get the Treo Pro, and of course, when I called in the rep said coverage in my area was excellent. Now with the phone, I've got no coverage. Sitting in one place in my condo, my phone switches back and forth between EVDO, 1X and roaming.

Texts come through only sporatically, internet connection is slow when available... but the phone sure looks pretty.

I don't have a good sprint to sprint compairison, but this may not work. Too bad, I was really tired of my 700wx.
    This is absolutely the kind of person Sprint would bend over backwards to keep. Just switched over and still less than 30 days with the new device.

RaeRae, you should call and complain just because Sprint should and probably will break their necks to keep you happy.

Sprint loses another 1.3 million customers

Sprint would offer you a free airwave to keep in your house... I'd bet... URL: AIRAVE

If you had reception in your house, would you stay with sprint and the treo pro...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I have conducted a second test side by side with 800w and Pro, ranging with airave disconnects at idle and while on calls. After 25 tests walking down street I am actually getting slightly better reception on the Pro than the 800w.

Ironically throughout the tests the Pro is showing less bars (on average about one less) but always actually getting better or equal reception. Call quality on the Pro is also slightly better throughout.

Also of note on teh EVDO/1x switching I beleive this is also an indicator issue. My 800w does not show a change from evdo to 1x when I place a call while the Treo Pro does show this.

Did you try doing the Update PRL? That may help with reception to a certain extent. You used to have to call customer service and have them schedule one for you, now you can do it from the Programs menu.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Did you try doing the Update PRL?
    If you have PRL 60650 on your Treo Pro (Settings -> System -> About -> Phone), then according to the Corolada PRL Page you already have the latest version.
    60651 is the latest

Thanks for the tips - I keep trying Sprint customer service and haven't found one person who is willing to help yet, but I am persistent! I will do more research on the Airave - THANK YOU!

Mal - I have tried the PRL update, but my phone keeps saying that the PRL cannot be updated. I get error code 1012. I will try Sprint to see if they know the problem - one rep said that if I get that it may be becuase there are no updates available. My phone currently says 60650 so maybe that is the glitch. I'm on terminal hold with Sprint right now...

Thanks everyone for your help!
    UPDATE - per the website

"Not yet...

While we are rapidly expanding the coverage areas for Airave, that ZIP code is not currently eligible for Airave service. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Oh well, I'll keep trying! This phone is SO damn cool when it is in an area that works!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    60651 is the latest
    Were you able to get 60651 from Sprint? How?

thanks,
    john
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post

thanks,
    john
    Now 60652 is the latest. If you have a Sprint Treo Pro, you just go into Settings and select the PRL Update option. It does the rest automatically. Just did it with my Sprint HTC Touch Pro a little earlier today.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post

thanks,
    john
    mine was pushed via Sprint--so either just update it on the device or wait till Sprint pushes it

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Another issue popped up today. My phone was fully charged when I left my house this morning at 8am - I THINK.

By 10:30 am, with almost no use, the battery was half dead and by 1pm had only 15 percent left. I turned the radio off and it lasted until about 5pm before giving me warning messages.

One thing I did notice was the phone signal going from zero bars, to one bar to two bars and back quite often. I hope this is not going to be an issue. I REALLY like this phone, but I cannot put up with reception that causes battery issues. I did just update the PRL from 60651 to 60652 per the above suggestions.

Not sure what happened, but I hope it is a fluke. I will check again tomorrow.
    UPDATE - per the website

"Not yet...

While we are rapidly expanding the coverage areas for Airave, that ZIP code is not currently eligible for Airave service. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Oh well, I'll keep trying! This phone is SO damn cool when it is in an area that works!
    I don't want to appear to be a newbie, but what is Airwave? I got the 60651 update using the Update PRL under settings the first day I had the phone. Mine was delivered with 60650, but if 60652 is out, I'll try the update tonight.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast