Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    There are a lot of things about the 800w that I like better than the Pro, but alas it ended up being too unreliable for me. I switched for different reasons than most it seems. The battery life was ok for me and I like the keyboard better and would rather have the softkeys, but until they come out with the perfect device I'll have to compromise. :-/
    well, ive only had it for 4-5 hours, but i feel as if the bugs that drove me crazy on the 800w are gone in the pro. i just need to wait for some of the "palm speical sauce" to be ported from the 800w to the pro.

battery was a biggie for me but too early to tell how much better the pro's battery is.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm going from 800w to Pro also. I had all the .cab files for the software I used installed on the MicroSD card, so all I had to do was swap the SD card, and reinstall everything.

NOTE: Several programs I use, use the owner name of the phone to create the serial key. I had to remember what I had put in there "Jess" vs. "Jessica" and make sure it was the same from the 800w, otherwise, everything transferred over just fine.

My UI looks identical - I loved my UL and PhoneAlarm skins and setup, so I just spent the 20 minutes required to recreate those.

All in all I'm thrilled so far with it. The audio quality is beyond superb - and with a headphone jack, the car audio is fantastic. I think the extra processing power really helps - the car audio was *terrible* going back to my 700wx, and I just couldn't use it with the 800w (which was why I got the Pro).
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I don't know of any WM app that you buy which binds it self to a single device and you must buy a new license if you get another WM device. I guess there is some application like that out there somewhere. Does anybody know what some of those applications are? So I know which to always avoid ever buying .
    TomTom ties itself to a device ID. You can change it once over the air but added changes require a call to customer support. You do not have to buy a new license though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not only is it not so bad but in my book its better in some ways than the Pro. For starters it has enough memory to actually runs some apps plus it has soft keys and much better keyboard. Did I mention it runs faster as well.

Now that I have got you all going...
    But what about people who have said they had stability issues on the 800w, that they are saying they don't have with the Sprint Treo Pro? In terms of stability, nobody is saying they find the Treo Pro to be less stable, but rather the opposite.
    But what about people who have said they had stability issues on the 800w, that they are saying they don't have with the Sprint Treo Pro? In terms of stability, nobody is saying they find the Treo Pro to be less stable, but rather the opposite.
    It may just be much too soon to know. I found with the 800w when it was acting flaky it needed a soft reset. I was actually soft-resetting it a lot to resolve flakiness.

I have not found I have had to do that yet with the Pro (except from installing new programs), but as I said - it's just too early to tell.

So far, so good as far as I am concerned. What I've found is that both phones have strong points and weaknesses. Find which features are most important to you, and pick the phone that has those features while accepting the weaknesses.

I'm still totally thrilled with the Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by kendertaunt View Post
    It may just be much too soon to know. I found with the 800w when it was acting flaky it needed a soft reset. I was actually soft-resetting it a lot to resolve flakiness.

I have not found I have had to do that yet with the Pro (except from installing new programs), but as I said - it's just too early to tell.

So far, so good as far as I am concerned. What I've found is that both phones have strong points and weaknesses. Find which features are most important to you, and pick the phone that has those features while accepting the weaknesses.

I'm still totally thrilled with the Pro.
    I 2nd the above statement. My old 800w had to be reset often due to general flakiness or lockups. In the 24 hours that I've owned the Pro, my experience is already considerably better. However it's to early to say definitely, but the Pro is off to a better start.
    I was having similar issues with the 800w, but once I moved to the Sprint HTC Touch Pro I had no problem doing the same activities that always caused issues with the 800w. It's been months for me with the Touch Pro now and I've still not had the lockups and instances of the device flat out dying like with my old 800ws.

I suspect you'll continue having a good experience with the Treo Pro.
    Give it a little time. Just wait until they load up all their crap software that they had on their 800w's. The stability issue will be back. IMO, its the users that make these devices unstable not the hardware.

I have no stability issues with my 800w because I am very careful about what I put on it.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have nothing loaded on the 800w since day 1 and it has locked up on me more than 5 times in 2 weeks. The phone is unstable period. I'm debating whether to switch to the Pro.
    I just switched from an 800w today to the Pro.

Just a few points:
    1) Definitely miss the Soft Keys
    2) Don't like how you cant assign the "soft keys" to something different. I really miss the "Menu" key for my right soft key.
    3) This thing is a fingerprint and lint MAGNET
    4) REALLY miss the picture speed dial from home screen
    5) Reception is NOT as good as the 800w
    6) Keyboard is not as good

For me, the only benefit so far is the size. I like how it is much thinner that the 800w. But it does seem heavier.. My 800w seemed to run a little quicker.

Thats all for now..
    here are my pre-treo pro purchase questions (as a current 800w/touch pro user)

- do phonealarm profile changes actually change brightness?
    - can there be any visual notification via phonealarm for email/sms/etc?
    - does gps need astrogpslauncher/gpsgate to prime gps?
    - does it 'hang' when soft-reset while connected to usb? (yes, i know the hang was intentional on palm's part)

i know i have more, but can't think of them right now
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    I have nothing loaded on the 800w since day 1 and it has locked up on me more than 5 times in 2 weeks. The phone is unstable period. I'm debating whether to switch to the Pro.
    Don't debate too long, you've had the 800w a couple of weeks and if you got it from Sprint you know they won't give you the time of day for an easy switch after 30 days.

I know the Sprint Treo Pro has in some respects similar specs to my Sprint HTC Touch Pro. I've got more than ever installed and things have been very stable. I used to sit around blaming myself for installing something bad with the 800w, but no more, I've got more than ever and things are way more stable than the 800w days for me. I think 90 days from now the Treo Pro folks will still enjoy stability just as the GSM Treo Pro folks have and with the improvements enjoy it all even more.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    - does it 'hang' when soft-reset while connected to usb? (yes, i know the hang was intentional on palm's part)
    I'd really like to know if that so-called feature is in the Sprint Treo Pro. It was never reported to be in the GSM Treo Pro.

But I never saw an official word from Palm that the so-called feature was actually something they put there. It was reported 2nd hand in the 800w forum AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Give it a little time. Just wait until they load up all their crap software that they had on their 800w's. The stability issue will be back. IMO, its the users that make these devices unstable not the hardware.

I have no stability issues with my 800w because I am very careful about what I put on it.
    i disagree

i am a very low maintence user. in other words, i have been using my treo 800 without nothing installed except a software tmcpc for youtube. i literally have to take out the battery freakin three times a day!!!!! crap that gets annoying. i cant say how the treo pro will be, but the 800 is a huge dissapointment.
    I cant remember what PDA's/PPC/Smartphone/Windows Mobile devices that i have had in the past. But simply put, i got the Palm M100 many years ago and was hooked. Since then, i have been upgrading in search for the latest and greatest device. and yes still searching
    I am very impressed with the STP's audio quality. Coming from the Treo 800w, the STP is amazing! That said, the Treo 800w had terrible audio quality so most anything is an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphad View Post
    That said, the Treo 800w had terrible audio quality so most anything is an improvement.
    Your not the first one to say that but for some strange reason my 800w has perfect audio quality. It sounds as good or better than my friends GSM Treo Pro. Very strange
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Your not the first one to say that but for some strange reason my 800w has perfect audio quality. It sounds as good or better than my friends GSM Treo Pro. Very strange
    Yeah, not all 800w's are the same. I've had 5 and only 2 had good audio. The components they used must have come out of someone's spare parts bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Yeah, not all 800w's are the same. I've had 5 and only 2 had good audio. The components they used must have come out of someone's spare parts bin.
    I agree. having two really gave us an eye-opener as to differences or perhaps quality control problems/shortcuts. we had four and three had very bad audio
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    For the 800w the audio is low.

With the audio crank up on the Pro, I had to put my ear a little away. Its just too loud.

I had to put my BT at full blast when I am on the 800w. Now I have it at 1-2 notch down.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast