Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I admit that I was one that said I would stick with the 800w once the Treo Pro was available and I had every intension to stick with the 800w now that I finally got one that worked great. err...well "worked" is the key word. 2 days ago it started to lose its memory and wiped out all custom registry values, then shortly afterwards it became unbootable.

So Sprint is sending me my 5th 800w as a replacement.

Well I figured the odds that I'll get a good working device that will last is not in my favor so I thought what the heck. I'll call retentions, give them my sob story, and see what kind of a deal I can get on the Treo Pro.

The lady I got was really nice. She was able to get me $150 discount on the Treo Pro even though I was no where near being eligible for an upgrade discount. She also threw in free data sevices and cut my unlimited text messaging to half price.

So why go with the Pro over the Pre. Well if the Pre comes out within the next 30 days she said I can use my $150 discount on that. But I'm not quite sold on the Pre as yet. I mean I will be sold on it once it has the applications I use working on it, but until then I *think* I can hold out a while longer.

Well anyways, I thought I'd explain why I'm leaving the 800w. For me it was the best fit and when it worked it worked great for my purposes. The problem was that it just has reliability issues that one can only tolerate for so long. I'm hoping the Pro doesn't let me down and I'll be looking to transfer some of the 800w goodies over to the Pro to make me feel right at home.

Hey zbop, how about an led driver for the Pro? hehe
    It was a sign...
    And here we go!
    Congrats Hannip.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    It was a sign...
    heh, yeah, the timing was just right. I'm now back to using my old 700wx that I never sold luckily until the Pro arrives. Ah the good old days. I still love the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Ok, I admit that I was one that said I would stick with the 800w once the Treo Pro was available and I had every intension to stick with the 800w now that I finally got one that worked great. err...well "worked" is the key word. 2 days ago it started to lose its memory and wiped out all custom registry values, then shortly afterwards it became unbootable.

So Sprint is sending me my 5th 800w as a replacement.

Well I figured the odds that I'll get a good working device that will last is not in my favor so I thought what the heck. I'll call retentions, give them my sob story, and see what kind of a deal I can get on the Treo Pro.

The lady I got was really nice. She was able to get me $150 discount on the Treo Pro even though I was no where near being eligible for an upgrade discount. She also threw in free data sevices and cut my unlimited text messaging to half price.

So why go with the Pro over the Pre. Well if the Pre comes out within the next 30 days she said I can use my $150 discount on that. But I'm not quite sold on the Pre as yet. I mean I will be sold on it once it has the applications I use working on it, but until then I *think* I can hold out a while longer.

Well anyways, I thought I'd explain why I'm leaving the 800w. For me it was the best fit and when it worked it worked great for my purposes. The problem was that it just has reliability issues that one can only tolerate for so long. I'm hoping the Pro doesn't let me down and I'll be looking to transfer some of the 800w goodies over to the Pro to make me feel right at home.

Hey zbop, how about an led driver for the Pro? hehe
    i, for one, am sad to see you leave the 800.
    thank you so very much for all the things you gave us, the 800 users. good luck with the pro.
    Hannip, you had way more patients with it than some of us who gave up on the 800w after trying many less than you tried.

But you got Sprint to cut you a deal that is WAY BETTER than simply getting a Treo Pro at a discount. Better than even if they had given you the Treo Pro for FREE. You got some cut rate deals on monthly services. That's the big money saver!!!

Not only are you good at hacking devices, you obviously have superb negotiating skills .
    Wow, going on 5? I will call Ripley's. Actually I am surprised you kept it this long. Real device junkies left a long time ago but I know you got one real late in the game. I had 3 myself. I just couldn't take a 4th. The 800 market is really dead. Ebay has like 4-6 used ones for sale and most are refurbished.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    5 800's? My limit was 3 800's, then on to the Sprint Touch Pro.

I've decided not to get the STP.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    i, for one, am sad to see you leave the 800.
    thank you so very much for all the things you gave us, the 800 users. good luck with the pro.
    My pleasure. Rest assured any updates I make to TA and other programs I'll do my best to make sure they are compatible with the 800w. TA still works great on the 700wx btw.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Hannip, you had way more patients with it than some of us who gave up on the 800w after trying many less than you tried.

But you got Sprint to cut you a deal that is WAY BETTER than simply getting a Treo Pro at a discount. Better than even if they had given you the Treo Pro for FREE. You got some cut rate deals on monthly services. That's the big money saver!!!

Not only are you good at hacking devices, you obviously have superb negotiating skills .
    Yeah, the cut rate services was the clincher. How could I say no to that?
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Sorry to see you switching over to the TP. I certainly understand given your device history.

Fortunately, my wife and I are still on our first 800w's--each--and they're doing fine. (So far.)

Thanks for all of the work you put into it!
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

Hannip I for one am glad to see you in a Pro! I too picked up a Pro today, with a similar experience with Sprint... I also had a very nice seemingly knowledgeable lady CSR. While I did not get free data or discounted text services (I have the $99 SE plan already), I got a stellar discount on the Pro and was not forced to renew my contract, despite my being no where near my upgrade time or EOC.

She even made notes in my account so I could goto a store today and pick one up. I was in and out the store in about 20 minutes... no hassles. I am hooking it up right now... and I must applaud Ebag's further efforts on the RealVGA cab.... VERY SMOOTH and SWEET!

See you in the TP forum.

Ohh In case anyone cares what will become of my 800... I should mention my 800 is about to be a node in my cluster (the WiFi still works well) and also a security web cam (using Qik for that bit).
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    Sorry to see you switching over to the TP. I certainly understand given your device history.

Fortunately, my wife and I are still on our first 800w's--each--and they're doing fine. (So far.)

Thanks for all of the work you put into it!
    Well it's good to know there are some good ones out there.
    You better treat them with kid gloves.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    Hannip I for one am glad to see you in a Pro! I too picked up a Pro today, with a similar experience with Sprint... I also had a very nice seemingly knowledgeable lady CSR. While I did not get free data or discounted text services (I have the $99 SE plan already), I got a stellar discount on the Pro and was not forced to renew my contract, despite my being no where near my upgrade time or EOC.
    Maybe we got the same lady. Mine even knew the difference between a Pro and a Pre.
    I also didn't have to renew my contract so I'll be set up nicely for my next device.

She even made notes in my account so I could goto a store today and pick one up. I was in and out the store in about 20 minutes... no hassles. I am hooking it up right now... and I must applaud Ebag's further efforts on the RealVGA cab.... VERY SMOOTH and SWEET!

See you in the TP forum.

Ohh In case anyone cares what will become of my 800... I should mention my 800 is about to be a node in my cluster (the WiFi still works well) and also a security web cam (using Qik for that bit).
    Nice idea. Never thought of using them as security cams. hmm, what else could they be used for??? No no must not think those thoughts.
    it just sucks. the web browser sucks, the phone crashes all goddarn day, the apps suck. everything sucks.

i give up on it too. if i could get an iphone to work on sprint, i would jump today.
    I gotta say that I am thinking the same thing, though I am on my first and only 800w, lately it has just been a PITA: constant resets, missed calls, crappy finish still po'd about the gps thing, even Seidio's accessories keep breaking (I know different things, but I figured I'd throw it in the mix)...I played with my buddies Alltel Pro the other night and it was better than I expected feel wise (though googlemaps wouldn't pick up GPS). Depending on what I see in the Pro forum in the next few weeks, I'm going to try to use my many years and five lines of service to my advantage and try to get a deal from Sprint. I'd like to wait for the Pre, just not sure I can take the 800 that long.

Too bad too, I had a lot of fun with this phone and learned a ton about these things through this forum. And thanks Hannip for the work you did (as well as Ebag, zbop and anyone else I'm forgetting). I'm sure the same thing will happen with the Pro.
    I just got sprint to return my 800 that I bought on launch day for the full 249.99 in credit towards a touch pro. Basically got my 30 day return option 9 months after I bought the phone lol. CSR told me since I had recurring issues that I could swap it out for another handset of equal or lesser value or pay the difference to get a higher model. This phone has been awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    I just got sprint to return my 800 that I bought on launch day for the full 249.99 in credit towards a touch pro. Basically got my 30 day return option 9 months after I bought the phone lol. CSR told me since I had recurring issues that I could swap it out for another handset of equal or lesser value or pay the difference to get a higher model. This phone has been awesome.
    How many 800ws did you have to go through before Sprint offered you that deal?

After 2 defective 800ws, I talked to Sprint about doing that (no way I was going to try a 3rd) and the only thing they'd give me is ~$150-$180 towards a Touch Pro, but refused to give me the full 800w purchase price. I did have Palm refund the money though. Palm's warranty list refund as an option. Although given the run around of Palm trying to keep focus on Sprint, I really didn't want to have to "go there", but ended up having to add to Palm's F BBB rating. Which helped them grant the refund, fast. But I guess once they squared things away with me my issue no longer contributes to their still F BBB rating.

But you didn't have the 800w for 9 months, unless you got yours a full month before the 7/14/2008 release date .

Seems now there are a lot more reports of people having an easier time with this when dealing with Sprint.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Well it's good to know there are some good ones out there.
    You better treat them with kid gloves.
    You got me thinking, I have the insurance and on my 3rd 800w.
    One of which is swapped by PALM, not SPRINT. The speaker is dead on that one. SPRINT said they don't count the ones sent by PALM towards insurance.

I tried to do that "Speaker fix of Ebagg" which basically is to create a hole on the earpiece. But right in the middle of removing the front cover , I messed up the lining near the SD card slot, and made some hard scratches.
    (before this episode I threw some yogurt on the phone by accident , the keyboard was stuck. Then it came back just fine , after repeated pressing of keys.)

Surprise of surprises , this thing works like a tank.

I am going to keep it till the end of the year and get one of those HTC CDMA/ GSM phones.

I just love this phone, I hope it lasts till end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You got me thinking, I have the insurance and on my 3rd 800w.
    One of which is swapped by PALM, not SPRINT. The speaker is dead on that one. SPRINT said they don't count the ones sent by PALM towards insurance.
    When you say "SPRINT said they don't count the ones sent by PALM towards insurance." Do you mean Sprint said the insurance will not cover the one from Palm if it has problems? Or are you saying they were just letting you know you don't need to pay a deductible?

Because the insurance covers whatever device you've got on your line, regardless of the source.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast