Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    When you say "SPRINT said they don't count the ones sent by PALM towards insurance." Do you mean Sprint said the insurance will not cover the one from Palm if it has problems? Or are you saying they were just letting you know you don't need to pay a deductible?

Because the insurance covers whatever device you've got on your line, regardless of the source.
    There is a limit on the insurance claims . Anything given to you by manufacture as part of the warranty is not counted towards the insurance claim.

When my second phone went dead , I talked to SPRINT which opened a ticket for PALM. Normally you either get a new phone shipped by SPRINT or by going to a store. But that CSR was a bit rude and thought I am making false claims. We tried to fix the issue by hard resets. Nothing worked.

Then, SPRINT threw the ball in PALM's court by saying its a hardware issue. PALM tried to troubleshoot the speaker phone issue with same stupid HARD RESETS . They couldn't fix it and send me a new one.

Currently I am on my third 800W. So I changed twice so far one of which counts towards SPRINT insurance claim.

I guess they let you have three claims in a year.

Having said that , I just checked Boygeniusreport, this year SPRINT lineup is leaked on the site.
    I can wait for the HTC Rhodium ( CDMA/GSM plus keyboard) :-)
    Thanks for taking the time to explain it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Having said that , I just checked Boygeniusreport, this year SPRINT lineup is leaked on the site.
    I can wait for the HTC Rhodium ( CDMA/GSM plus keyboard) :-)
    Yea, 2009 seems like it's going to be a stellar year for Sprint. They're getting all the hot new stuff and will have the Touch Pro 2 even before Q4.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Thanks for taking the time to explain it for me.

Yea, 2009 seems like it's going to be a stellar year for Sprint. They're getting all the hot new stuff and will have the Touch Pro 2 even before Q4.
    No problemo, Yup, I can't wait for these to be available for us.

More than Pre, I am excited about that HTC Rhodium thing.
    My main gripe with SPRINT is lack of GSM in a hand set.
    This will make me switch to other carriers (sans Verizon) and can use it worldwide if I need to.
    How many 800ws did you have to go through before Sprint offered you that deal?

After 2 defective 800ws, I talked to Sprint about doing that (no way I was going to try a 3rd) and the only thing they'd give me is ~$150-$180 towards a Touch Pro, but refused to give me the full 800w purchase price. I did have Palm refund the money though. Palm's warranty list refund as an option. Although given the run around of Palm trying to keep focus on Sprint, I really didn't want to have to "go there", but ended up having to add to Palm's F BBB rating. Which helped them grant the refund, fast. But I guess once they squared things away with me my issue no longer contributes to their still F BBB rating.

But you didn't have the 800w for 9 months, unless you got yours a full month before the 7/14/2008 release date .

Seems now there are a lot more reports of people having an easier time with this when dealing with Sprint.
    I only had 2 800's and the swap was offered to me by a sprint rep in a chat session online. I printed the chat session and walked into my local sprint store with it and they made it happen after some manager discussions.

and DOH I thought it came out in June, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Ok, I admit that I was one that said I would stick with the 800w once the Treo Pro was available and I had every intension to stick with the 800w now that I finally got one that worked great. err...well "worked" is the key word. 2 days ago it started to lose its memory and wiped out all custom registry values, then shortly afterwards it became unbootable.

So Sprint is sending me my 5th 800w as a replacement.

Well I figured the odds that I'll get a good working device that will last is not in my favor so I thought what the heck. I'll call retentions, give them my sob story, and see what kind of a deal I can get on the Treo Pro.

The lady I got was really nice. She was able to get me $150 discount on the Treo Pro even though I was no where near being eligible for an upgrade discount. She also threw in free data sevices and cut my unlimited text messaging to half price.

So why go with the Pro over the Pre. Well if the Pre comes out within the next 30 days she said I can use my $150 discount on that. But I'm not quite sold on the Pre as yet. I mean I will be sold on it once it has the applications I use working on it, but until then I *think* I can hold out a while longer.

Well anyways, I thought I'd explain why I'm leaving the 800w. For me it was the best fit and when it worked it worked great for my purposes. The problem was that it just has reliability issues that one can only tolerate for so long. I'm hoping the Pro doesn't let me down and I'll be looking to transfer some of the 800w goodies over to the Pro to make me feel right at home.

Hey zbop, how about an led driver for the Pro? hehe
    Ohhhh nooooooo, not Hannip!!!

Hang on to that towel buddy, you'll need it to constantly wipe the fingerprints off your Treo Pro, lol

I may be right behind you.... I'm ready to swap my second 800w for a third, but I just know that it'll end up being more of the same. I'll check out the Treo Pro later this week. If I end up with the TP I'll take a look at the LED support, but I'm confident you could handle it too . Scottymomo said it's barely visible anyways, so the beacon support may be all that's needed.

Regarding the Pre, from what I've seen of the SDK, I'm pretty sure I won't see the apps that I want until Palm extends it and provides a means for developers to protect their code. Could be quite awhile...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Ohhhh nooooooo, not Hannip!!!

Hang on to that towel buddy, you'll need it to constantly wipe the fingerprints off your Treo Pro, lol
    haha, Yeah, I'm thinking of finding a half case or something else that will keep my fingers off of that shiny surface.

I may be right behind you.... I'm ready to swap my second 800w for a third, but I just know that it'll end up being more of the same. I'll check out the Treo Pro later this week. If I end up with the TP I'll take a look at the LED support, but I'm confident you could handle it too . Scottymomo said it's barely visible anyways, so the beacon support may be all that's needed.
    I hope you do cuz we need you and your unique skills!

I plan to add beacon support to TA asap, but from what I hear even the beacon is barely visible. Still would be cool to have multiple color LED support just so you can see what kind of alert you have without having take the device out of suspend.

Regarding the Pre, from what I've seen of the SDK, I'm pretty sure I won't see the apps that I want until Palm extends it and provides a means for developers to protect their code. Could be quite awhile...
    Yep. Like I said in a TP vs Pre thread, I'll be holding out till later in the year to decide if I'm buying the Pre based on how far application development has progressed for WebOS. No flash support till end of year? Ouch. Me thinks there is a lot of work left to do.

Also did you notice in all of the demos how Palm reps avoid at all cost to answer questions related to battery life? I guess that's why they are making it so easy to charge. Every time you use it you need to set it back down on the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Also did you notice in all of the demos how Palm reps avoid at all cost to answer questions related to battery life? I guess that's why they are making it so easy to charge. Every time you use it you need to set it back down on the touchstone.
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that... As someone who used the 1100Mah in the original Touch... I am not optimistic about the Pre. GPS will kill it in abt 2hrs, nevermind the fact that synergy will keep you connected to the network.

beautiful phone... sexy OS/UI... smh

maybe a nice port to the Pro
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I was noticing that battery thing too, but my guess is there will be a 3000 mah battery by third party so bottom line is you can have more juice. But PALM should have thrown least a 1800 mah battery.

I agree with hannip , no flash on this phone is a no brainer.
    PALM had two year time to figure this thing out.
    Pretty much all of the web sites the cnns, youtubes and comedycentrals run on it.
    There is no need to have a separate application when you can have flash support in the browser.

To me this phone is equivalent of an iPhone no more.

I wish PALM would improvise the 800w or pro by adding one more inch of screen.

a bug free 800w with one more inch of screen real estate is going to sell better.
    I was under the impression it was because the OS is not finished yet or fully optimized, so Palm is rightly hesitant to commit publicly to any hard numbers for battery life. Once the OS is gold and carrier testing is completed, then we'll know more.

Seeing as this OS was built from scratch for mobile devices using today's technologies, my gut tells me battery life should be pretty decent-- ~5 hrs would be the sweet spot.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #30  
    I was noticing that battery thing too, but my guess is there will be a 3000 mah battery by third party so bottom line is you can have more juice. But PALM should have thrown least a 1800 mah battery.

I agree with hannip , no flash on this phone is a no brainer.
    PALM had two year time to figure this thing out.
    Pretty much all of the web sites the cnns, youtubes and comedycentrals run on it.
    There is no need to have a separate application when you can have flash support in the browser.

To me this phone is equivalent of an iPhone no more.

I wish PALM would improvise the 800w or pro by adding one more inch of screen.

a bug free 800w with one more inch of screen real estate is going to sell better.
    I would love to have the best of both the 800w and Pro with an extended screen. I'd buy it.

Also I'd like to add the Pre camera and flash to this new device. Yeah, now we're talking.
    Last edited by hannip; 03/17/2009 at 09:10 AM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I was under the impression it was because the OS is not finished yet or fully optimized, so Palm is rightly hesitant to commit publicly to any hard numbers for battery life. Once the OS is gold and carrier testing is completed, then we'll know more.

Seeing as this OS was built from scratch for mobile devices using today's technologies, my gut tells me battery life should be pretty decent-- ~5 hrs would be the sweet spot.
    Maybe, but I'm sure they have a pretty good idea by now how long it will last and that bright large screen isn't going to help things. You can only go so far with optimization. If the user wants to keep that screen on it's gonna drain fast.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Mal,
    5 hours is nice , but if they were to make a killer product , they should get 6-8 hours either by optimizing or throwing a higher capacity battery. 5 Hours is no great for Pre. I am sure APPLE will t try to get 8 hour range in the next release of iPhone.
    Mal,
    5 hours is nice , but if they were to make a killer product , they should get 6-8 hours either by optimizing or throwing a higher capacity battery. 5 Hours is no great for Pre. I am sure APPLE will t try to get 8 hour range in the next release of iPhone.
    Perhaps. It's all what the market demands and as of right now, 5 hours seems to be middle that everyone is aiming for both for marketing reasons (thinner) and technology wise (what's actually capable).

iPhone 3g took a back step in talk-time battery life (5hrs vs. 8hrs, due to 3g), so I'd be surprised if they get near that high and make a compelling device (btw, iPhone 3g has an 1150mah battery too, but older tech in it).

I'm just saying: Palm has done a bang up job so far with the Pre and it doesn't seem like they'd be oblivious to battery life, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt till they announce.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I am only on my second 800W. I am going to go today to pick up the Treo Pro. I tried to leave my 800W for the Touch Pro 3 weeks ago and hated it... Tried it for 2 days, and ended up reconnecting my 800W.

I didn't have nearly as good as a customer service exerience as you did though. I didn't return the Touch Pro yet because there is a restocking fee, but the exchange is free so I waited till the Treo Pro was in. When I got there and asked for the Treo Pro, they pulled it out, they had 3 left. When I tried to do an exchange they refused. They told me that they only had 3 left and that they are holding them for new contracts. They told me there is no money in an exchange and to come back in a few days when they have more. This was a Sprint Kiosk in the mall.

I called Sprint and they said sorry, but their only offer was that they would send me a return box in the mail... 10-12 days, then they will refund my account my purshase price, in 1-2 billing cylces, so up to 60 days. I can then call to by the Treo Pro... I wrote back saying that the entrie offer of help was stupid... So instead of waiting 4 more days, I would wait 15 days and then another 60 just to get my $400 back to buy the new one.

After I put it like that, they told me they flagged my account and to try bring my Touch Pro into any Sprint Store for an exchange... I will try that today... Keeping my fingers crossed.
    SirWise23, are there any larger Sprint stores in your area, than the mall kiosk? I've found it's usually better to go to the biggest Sprint store in town.
    There are... that's what I am going to do today. The Customer Service Rep siad they flagged my account to allow an exchange anywhere, so I will try. I just happened to be at the mall and really thought the Touch Pro looked cool. After a day it felt more like dating a bimbo model... it looked really good at my side, but functionaly served no purpose. Makes me realize that you really have to think about why you use a product for and not how much it can do. I realized I could not live without my one handed typing and speed. When I wrote and E-mail or sent a text on the Touch, it would have a delay. The letters would show up a second or two after I pushed the key. Sure I could have shut off the Touch Flo, but then what makes the phoen special?

Either way, I will cross my fingers and hope that they exchange. If not, I will go back to the Kiosk. Sprint took my name down and said they would be contacting the Kiosk, so the Kisok people may be even more nasty when I get there.
    I am on my 2nd 800. I called today because I have data connectivity issues that cause me to soft reset 3 - 8 times a day. I called retentions and asked for a Touch Pro and was denied. They said I had to get another replacement Treo, then they would consider putting me in another phone. So, I am gettting my 3rd 800 next week. Wheeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWise23 View Post
    There are... that's what I am going to do today. The Customer Service Rep siad they flagged my account to allow an exchange anywhere, so I will try. I just happened to be at the mall and really thought the Touch Pro looked cool. After a day it felt more like dating a bimbo model... it looked really good at my side, but functionaly served no purpose. Makes me realize that you really have to think about why you use a product for and not how much it can do. I realized I could not live without my one handed typing and speed. When I wrote and E-mail or sent a text on the Touch, it would have a delay. The letters would show up a second or two after I pushed the key. Sure I could have shut off the Touch Flo, but then what makes the phoen special?

Either way, I will cross my fingers and hope that they exchange. If not, I will go back to the Kiosk. Sprint took my name down and said they would be contacting the Kiosk, so the Kisok people may be even more nasty when I get there.
    Yea, you not being a new contract, the kiosk people might not be happy to see you coming back to take a Treo Pro off their hands . You better watch your back when around that mall .

The Touch Pro is a super solid device, that can be used effectively for one handed use, I do it every day. But it all depends on what a given user can use a device for effectively. I've found Touch Flo 3D can be kept on and the device perform well if properly tweaked. It should not have to be "tweaked", but it seems HTC figured that out with the Touch Pro 2, which they claim runs smooth out of the box.

So long as everybody is good to go with theirs, I'm happy for you . Hope the Treo Pro works out well for you.

Bawlmer Bear, see if you can hire Hannip, to represent you in your negotiations with Sprint .
    Besides Mal and Ebag is anyone on Treo 800 #1? Between Hannip, Darnell and myself that's 10 devices right there. That would be a good poll. "How many Treo 800's have you had?"

I've been reading the Treo Pro threads and its weird to see many 800 guys over there with Pro's now. What happened? Ebay a few days ago had 7 800's for sale and as of today 47. It's dumpfest.

Seriously, with new devices this is the norm. Defend what you got then switch to whatever comes out. I happen to like the Treo Pro. Got to play with one. I have too many device now to add that one but I can see it in my line up soon.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Besides Mal and Ebag is anyone on Treo 800 #1?
    I am and I got it the day they were released. Been perfect so far.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast