Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have Treo 800, TP and am looking at getting Treo Pro.

I really like the form factor of Treo but I use iGuidance and it did not work on Treo 800 (many other problems also) due to screen size and no GPS unless on Sprint Network.

If I buy the Treo Pro can I still use my TP for a stand-a-lone GPS and iGuidance without being on Sprint Service?

Another solution would be is there a program available that works on the 320x320 resolution on Treo Pro? I want to program not a web based solution.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Yes I'm very sure you can get a GPS program to run on your PRO. I have an EPIX (no flames please) that has the same OS and screen resolution, and I have iGuidance 2009 running quite well. There is a trick, however, and it is detailed out in this post:
    http://forums.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=174830

I do run RealVGA and it may well be key to making it work. If you still have that older copy of iGuidance you may want to give it a try before making any investment in an upgrade. I say that because iNav did not make any attempt to be compatible with a square screen on iGuidance 2009 so if you cannot get the old version working you probably won't get the new version working.

I have to put a plug in for RealVGA at this point. It is a great and free add-on and there is no program I've found that won't run on my phone. Keep in mind though that some programs will not use the entire screen (i.e., use 240x320 of the 320x320 screen) but they still run. In iGuidance's case the non-map modes run at 240x320 but the map mode, which is the one that really counts, uses the entire screen.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I know TomTom7 and Garmin work on the 800w as I am using it.

TomTom7 you have to do extra work and Garmin you can buy just like that.

I'll put TT7 and Garmin on my TP tomorrow as soon as I get it.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    What does anyone who has used both Garmin XT and iGuidance think about them? Which do you prefer and why? I have a Touch Pro, so I'm not worried about any network or resolution issues, but wondering if iGuidance might be better, I've never heard much about it.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I've only used TomTom 6 and iGuidance (versions 4 and 2009) so I may not be much help. But I do know that Garmin and iGuidance use the same map provider, NAVTEQ, which most people think has the best maps of North America. TomTom uses TeleAtlas whose strength is maps of Europe (I found their North American maps to be just okay).

So my point is if the maps powering Garmin and iGuidance are identical they both should perform similarly and any differences will be in the interface.

Also, Garmin and iGuidance are now copy protecting their software by making you use their microSD card. Yes it sucks big time but they are all doing it now so you really do not have an option (at least that I know of).
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Chong67: Where did you find TomTom 7? And what kind of extra work is required to load it?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I know TomTom7 and Garmin work on the 800w as I am using it.

TomTom7 you have to do extra work and Garmin you can buy just like that.

I'll put TT7 and Garmin on my TP tomorrow as soon as I get it.
    Chong please post your experiences with TomTom7 here once you try it on your new STP...

thx
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    I've only used TomTom 6 and iGuidance (versions 4 and 2009) so I may not be much help. But I do know that Garmin and iGuidance use the same map provider, NAVTEQ, which most people think has the best maps of North America. TomTom uses TeleAtlas whose strength is maps of Europe (I found their North American maps to be just okay).

So my point is if the maps powering Garmin and iGuidance are identical they both should perform similarly and any differences will be in the interface.

Also, Garmin and iGuidance are now copy protecting their software by making you use their microSD card. Yes it sucks big time but they are all doing it now so you really do not have an option (at least that I know of).
    Thank you for those details. I know Sprint Navigation/Telenav claims to use maps by TeleAtlas. I don't know if that's their own outfit or what. Do you have any idea where TeleAtlas maps rank with the others?

I noticed that iGuidance speaks street names, which gives it an advantage over Garmin. I might have to give iGuidance a test run.

Given Garmin and iGuidance use their own MicroSD cards (unless you use a hack) it means those companies have zero incentive to make a version for the Palm Pre. (But the Pre does not have stand alone GPS anyway.)
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure TomTom 7 will work on the Pro. The 800w and TP are the same right? I'll do it tomorrow if I have time. It take alot of customization.

iGuidance will work if you install RealVGA? I learn something new today.

TomTom has the best smooth cursor scroll but it is a European product.

If iGuidance and Garmin use the same map source, I would go with Garmin because there are soo many free maps out there to get for anywhere in the world. Its amazing.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Seems the big "7-Day Evaluation" iGuidance promotes on the front of their web site is really just a buy now and seek a refund if you don't like it within 7 days kind of deal in regards to the PPC version.
    What would you guys recommend for the US that doesn't require a card.

Right now I just use Google Maps and
    Live Search Mobile
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Live Search Mobile
    TomTom Navigator 6 works well & doesn't require the proprietary card -- you can purchase the software only DVD. However, if you hook up a Redfly, TomTom locks up at the splash screen. Not sure if that's a TomTom resolution issue or a Celio driver issue. Anyway, you can buy direct from TomTom for $150 plus shipping or on ebay (reputable dealers) for $40 plus shipping.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You mean without a microSD card?
    I dont think the map would fit on the Pro memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    You mean without a microSD card?
    I dont think the map would fit on the Pro memory.
    No it won't. But most GPS stuff comes on a proprietary microsd card. IIRC, 4 gig was the largest, most are 1 or 2 gig. If you don't want to give up your 8 or 16 gig card, TomTom Navigator 6 will install (via PC) from the DVD to a standard card. It's the only point-to-point GPS software I've found that will.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Live Search Mobile
    Have you tried AmazeGPS, it works similar to Telenav except it is free, it has moving maps, that rotate to course up, and it has spoken directions, don't know if it says the street names, I never paid that much attention, I mostly look at the map when a turn is coming up.
    Live search is great.
    I use Amaze, livesearch, google maps, and I do have garmin on the card, I love it.
    About maps, not sure which database it is that Google uses but I do know that some of their streets are off, I live on 580 East, google has me on 500, so if I route to my house using the address it puts me on the wrong street, and I know of others who have found similar problems, live search, garmin, and Amaze are correct as far as I can find out, I know I have never had a problem with them.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    For those who we've confused, Garmin and iGuidance are shipping their product for Pocket PCs on a microSD card where the software is locked to that specific card. In iGuidance's case you select either a 4GB or 8GB card, with the 8GB one costing an extra $10.

Berd -- TomTom Navigator 6 is the only product I know of for Pocket PCs that is currently shipping on a DVD so you can load it to your own microSD card. There maps are okay for North America (my experience were maps dating back to 2006) and if they have updated them recently they could be quite good. The interface took a little time for me to get used to but it was okay.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Another option is CoPilot Live 7. It uses NAVTEQ maps but also seems to be copy protected to their microSD card. I have no knowledge on this product though. The link to their website is:
    CoPilot Live 7: ALK Technologies

I have heard of product that was recently resurrected (as in a 2008 update released that was the first update in almost 6 years). But I can't remember the name and don't know if it was copy protected too. I'll try and refind it and if I do I'll post the info.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    A key point to investigate no matter what product you go for is to make sure it has 2008 maps. It makes no sense to buy a product in 2009 that has 2007 or earlier maps.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    A key point to investigate no matter what product you go for is to make sure it has 2008 maps. It makes no sense to buy a product in 2009 that has 2007 or earlier maps.
    This is true, that is one of the things that I loved about Telenav, they have the most up to date maps out there.
    The one thing I dont like about them is that if you are out of phone coverage you get no maps, and I travel out a lot.
    I know Garmin does update their maps with downloads from their site.
    Terry
    How do you know Telenav has the most up to date maps?

Just because they are sent to you on the fly does not mean they are necessarily more up to date than those other services provide.

But if you have definitive evidence please share.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast