Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Since the Sprint Navigation/Telenav "About" page in the application mentions "Telemaps", I thought perhaps Telenav was not using NAVTEQ maps, but it appear they are.

And it is said they update quarterly.

I know NAVTEQ is respected as the best, just was not sure till now that Telenav was using their updates.

I've heard Garmin's routing algorithms might be better though and Garmin also uses NAVTEQ maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Since the Sprint Navigation/Telenav "About" page in the application mentions "Telemaps", I thought perhaps Telenav was not using NAVTEQ maps, but it appear they are..
    As far as I can tel telnav is using telatlas. the url you linked shows an enduser for both telatlas and navteq so I think the navteq is currently in there as just as a pro forma in case they use it or in some regional cases where they use it now. but everything I have seen looks like tomttom coverage which is also teleatlas.

I've tried tomtom, garmin, navigon and iguidance on these units (800w, touch pro and treo pro).

they are all pretty darn good. But I would recommend either garmin or tt7.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    It would be nice that the map are open source. The only one I know is Garmin.

I have no idea how these people generate the map. Do they just drive around? Its beyond me. I just dont have the time to find out.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    As far as I can tel telnav is using telatlas. the url you linked shows an enduser for both telatlas and navteq so I think the navteq is currently in there as just as a pro forma in case they use it or in some regional cases where they use it now. but everything I have seen looks like tomttom coverage which is also teleatlas.

I've tried tomtom, garmin, navigon and iguidance on these units (800w, touch pro and treo pro).

they are all pretty darn good. But I would recommend either garmin or tt7.
    Thanks Aero.

Yea, the information was a bit confusing because various names are mentioned. So I just assumed maybe they still stuck with NAVTEQ, but the application specifically says Telemaps which would tie to TeleAtlas, not NAVTEQ. It does not say NAVTEQ. It specifically says maps by Telemaps. Which would mean Sprint Navigation is not using the most respected any longer NAVTEQ.

But even with tools that use NAVTEQ, how the make and calculate routes could make a difference.

What do you prefer about Garmin over Iguidance?
    Seems that the latest version of Sprint Navigation is NOT the same as the newest version of Telenav.

Sprint Navigation v2.1 is missing some features that are in Telenav 5.1.16. Some that are immediately noticed when using Telenav 5.1.16.

I'm thinking this Telenav installer will work on most WM devices. Maybe one of you Sprint Treo Pro owners can confirm it works?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    What would you guys recommend for the US that doesn't require a card.

Right now I just use Google Maps and
    Live Search Mobile
    I have been quite happy with TomTom... no card required except for map storage and I just copied my map over to a new card... Although as I think abt it further my setup might be a bit of hack..My sis-inlaw sent me TomTom purchased in Germany and I simply use the US maps....

Either way my experience has been quite good with TomTom on the STP. No need for comport hacks, fast sat locks etc.
    Last edited by insol; 03/17/2009 at 12:18 AM.
    Has anyone had any issues with gps lag? I tried it for the first time this morning and noticed a lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with gps lag? I tried it for the first time this morning and noticed a lag.
    I get a little less lag on the Pro than the 800w on programs with no lag compensation.
    I have two Treo Pro, one touch pro and still have an 800w on line.

When I looked over the touch pro lag questions and reports at ppcg, and sent some PM's, I found people were almost all using a variety of non compensating programs, and/or comparing against dedicated devices which of course have lag compensation algorithms (forward motion prediction) as well "road snap"(lateral position compensation to place you on a road).

what I did in some tests late this fall when the Treo Pro GSM came out was test several units simultaneous using the same software. I was able to get my hands on a navigon dedicated which has a sirf 3, but more importantly runs wince, so I could Install and test several programs across the phones and the sirf dedicated device.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I get a little less lag on the Pro than the 800w on programs with no lag compensation.
    I have two Treo Pro, one touch pro and still have an 800w on line.

When I looked over the touch pro lag questions and reports at ppcg, and sent some PM's, I found people were almost all using a variety of non compensating programs, and/or comparing against dedicated devices which of course have lag compensation algorithms (forward motion prediction) as well "road snap"(lateral position compensation to place you on a road).

what I did in some tests late this fall when the Treo Pro GSM came out was test several units simultaneous using the same software. I was able to get my hands on a navigon dedicated which has a sirf 3, but more importantly runs wince, so I could Install and test several programs across the phones and the sirf dedicated device.

I originally owned an 800w and there wasn't much of a lag on that device. On the pro it almost made me feel like I had a touch pro all over again. I was testing it using Garmin. I will try the sprint navi, since you get a trial period. I will test iGo and see how that works out. Do you think the microsd card could have anything to do with the lag? I'm using a 16gb microsd card. If I'm not mistaken the 800w or Touch Pro, had some kind of storage card entries that could help with reading speeds etc...
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Navigator 6 maps are $29 including shipping on Ebay brand new and sealed on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    TomTom Navigator 6 works well & doesn't require the proprietary card -- you can purchase the software only DVD. However, if you hook up a Redfly, TomTom locks up at the splash screen. Not sure if that's a TomTom resolution issue or a Celio driver issue. Anyway, you can buy direct from TomTom for $150 plus shipping or on ebay (reputable dealers) for $40 plus shipping.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    yea, doesn't make sense unless they cost $29 including shipping as mentioned in my previous post, then the older Navigator 6 maps from 2006 are tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    A key point to investigate no matter what product you go for is to make sure it has 2008 maps. It makes no sense to buy a product in 2009 that has 2007 or earlier maps.
    I originally owned an 800w and there wasn't much of a lag on that device. On the pro it almost made me feel like I had a touch pro all over again. I was testing it using Garmin. I will try the sprint navi, since you get a trial period. I will test iGo and see how that works out. Do you think the microsd card could have anything to do with the lag? I'm using a 16gb microsd card. If I'm not mistaken the 800w or Touch Pro, had some kind of storage card entries that could help with reading speeds etc...
    I just tried OCN 8 (iGO) and couldn't get it to run. It would install, but the app wouldn't start.

I contacted TS at OCN, they had me try changing one of the settings, but still no go. They told me to return it for a refund. I guess I'll try TT6 as that appears to have a high success rate. I was previously using Garmin 10/BT GPS puck. It worked, but it also had lag and trying to use it with WinMo Smartphone was clumsy.
    I haven't had chance to try any, but I'm leaning more and more toward TT.
    Just because of some of the posts here.

I wonder if a poll might help with our decision.
    I don't know if this applies, but check out this link on sector size . You might try changing the sector size on your card.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I haven't had chance to try any, but I'm leaning more and more toward TT.
    Just because of some of the posts here.

I wonder if a poll might help with our decision.
    I its ok we can post here
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html

I will keep top post current with reports on users testing various software.
    Quote Originally Posted by magic25 View Post
    Navigator 6 maps are $29 including shipping on Ebay brand new and sealed on DVD.
    If all you want is the maps. If you don't have the program already installed, the maps alone don't do much good. ;-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12