1.    #1  
    IE6 seems like a step backwards or a half-done effort at best. I find it very slow and cumbersome. Constant scrolling on most web sites; zoom feature sluggish; no selecting text wihout first enabling option from menu. An all around, ****-poor implementation of a mobile browser IMO.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    That is why I avoid a real website on this type of phone. Unless the website is customized for phone, I dont go to it.

iphone seems to do a better job.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    IE6 seems like a step backwards or a half-done effort at best. I find it very slow and cumbersome. Constant scrolling on most web sites; zoom feature sluggish; no selecting text wihout first enabling option from menu. An all around, ****-poor implementation of a mobile browser IMO.
    Sounds about par for the course when it comes to MS browsers. Kind of blows TP users get to be the beta-testers for it without the option to remove it. It won't surprise me if we see no improvements/fixes to it until it gets more widely distributed and its' shortcomings and problems become much more public.
    I kind of agree- but I am not as hard on it as you. It is not good a mimicking the desktop experience and is slow compared to the previous generation. Still I like it today better than yesterday which is a good sign.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    That is why I avoid a real website on this type of phone. Unless the website is customized for phone, I dont go to it.

iphone seems to do a better job.
    I'm finding that some sites 'optimized' for mobile browsing that worked great on my Centro & 800w are now a pain to view with IE6. Underground weather and the dsl reports speed test site are 2 examples. What appears to be a blank page gets rendered, however, the content is off the page and you must scroll to see it. Like I said, IE6 is a step backwards.
    Is there a port of the Opera browser that the touch pro uses for this device? Going to search now...
    You can always download Opera browser for free that is more like iPhone friendly and you can scroll the base page via finger multi-touch. I love Opera browser for my GSM Treo Pro and the memory on my GSM TP is less than that of the Sprint version.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    ...the memory on my GSM TP is less than that of the Sprint version.
    I think they're talking about program memory. In that category the GSM Treo Pro wins in terms of program memory that is still free.

Opera Mobile and Opera Mini can be downloaded here. (Opera Mini requires a Java runtime, try Jbed.)

Here are some listings of differences between the 2 browsers.
    What is the difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile?

What's the Difference Between Opera Mini and Mobile?
    is it possible to go back and run pocket internet explorer 5?
    I kind of like what's on my 800w the best anyway
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    (In IE) Tools -> Options -> Other -> Change it to "Mobile Device".

This will make it behave more like IE on the 800w. I was excited that the browser could render Flash until I went to a site using Flash-based navigation and clicking anything locked up the phone. It's just not powerful enough for Flash at the moment.
  11.    #11  
    Have you tried the 'IE6' downgrade posted by codyppc in this thread?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...cab-style.html

Works like a charm, and I can forget about IE6 now.
    thanks for the tip! you are great to help a beginner like me. I will download it later. if it lets me run the same display and feel of my treo 800w then im happy. its fast and fits my screen when im using the phone and when I use my Redfly. I hate trying to see bits and pieces of a large page when its just my treo. as far as flash etc. I have so many options . when it comes to browsers it seems I don't.... besides, maybe using the stripped down version will not slow down my new Treo as much as the new version. Like I said, I was very happy with the 800w.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by elistone View Post
    thanks for the tip! you are great to help a beginner like me. I will download it later. if it lets me run the same display and feel of my treo 800w then im happy. its fast and fits my screen when im using the phone and when I use my Redfly. I hate trying to see bits and pieces of a large page when its just my treo. as far as flash etc. I have so many options . when it comes to browsers it seems I don't.... besides, maybe using the stripped down version will not slow down my new Treo as much as the new version. Like I said, I was very happy with the 800w.

You're welcome, but all credit goes to codyppc for this fix.