Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    OK, so I've gotten this up and running, after receiving it yesterday, and I have to say I'm impressed as far as WinMo goes. Some things are a LOT easier than on the Curve I had, some are a LOT more difficult, some are just different.

    Texting on the Pro? It's a chore compared to the BBerry, but I like the threaded SMS. Click messaging, click SMS/MMS, click the conversation. It just seems drawn out compared to the dedicated SMS folder the Curve had. Emails are like this as well, as I have 2 GMail accounts and my exchange server on the Pro. TRUE IMAP for GMail would have been nice as well, but I can't do that with the BBerry either.

    The Volume on the device pretty much sucks so far. Calls are good, but I use my cell as an alarm clock, and the Curve is a MUCH louder device. Texts/emails/call alerts are similarly low, maybe I'll edit some ringtones and raise the volume myself, but I have to admit I'm skittish about blowing the speaker.

    Battery life: I know nothing compares to a BBerry battery, but this is pretty sad. Installing the HTC Home plug-in (love it, but would prefer Manila 2D) and iContact drained the battery 5% in 5 minutes. Yeesh.

    However, I'm loving the ability to tweak the phone endlessly, and since will be my toy until the Pre comes out, I feel a little less nervous about mucking about with the OS. Loving SPB Weather, Opera Mobile (actual web browsing? HOT DAMN!), SPB Insight, and being able to watch Youtube. The funny thing is, I always made fun of those who made Youtube a priority, but now I'm hooked.

    Hopefully, someone can get Manila 2D up and running perfectly on the Pro, or maybe SPB Mobile Shell 3 will blow me out of the water. Right now though, the stock windows today screen bugs me, but we'll see.
  2. #2  
    Nice post. Give the battery a few cycles before you make final judgement. I am really hoping that it is a step forward from the 800.

    What do you think of the keyboard versus the berry?
  3. #3  
    You can do true IMAP PUSH w/GMail with the appropriate application, of course. If POutlook does not handle it well, take a look at FlexMail.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    Loving SPB Weather, Opera Mobile (actual web browsing? HOT DAMN!), SPB Insight, and being able to watch Youtube. The funny thing is, I always made fun of those who made Youtube a priority, but now I'm hooked.
    Can you watch/view full Youtube videos without restrictions? Not just most popular videos but all? Also, I'm not up to speed on what "SPB Insight" or using Opera mobile does. I assume its a program that makes web viewing better?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    he Volume on the device pretty much sucks so far. Calls are good, but I use my cell as an alarm clock, and the Curve is a MUCH louder device. Texts/emails/call alerts are similarly low, maybe I'll edit some ringtones and raise the volume myself, but I have to admit I'm skittish about blowing the speaker.
    You must be a sounder sleeper than I am -- and it's been said that it might take the atom bomb to wake me. ;-) Grab the latest g-alarm. It'll find & use your music files as alarms. You can set it to use full volume, no matter what the phone's set at, as long as you don't have the manual switch set to vibrate mode. You can set length of the alarm & repeat intervals -- it'll keep repeating till you manually shut it off. And, if your schedule varies enough to need them, you can have more than the normal limit of three on the phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    Battery life: I know nothing compares to a BBerry battery, but this is pretty sad. Installing the HTC Home plug-in (love it, but would prefer Manila 2D) and iContact drained the battery 5% in 5 minutes. Yeesh.
    Battery life depends on software (or combinations of software) & settings. I have a spare battery that I periodically swap in to give it some drain. But I've only had to actually use it a few times when I've installed apps that don't play nice. I usually get at least a day between charges & could probably go 1.5-2, but I really need to be able to complete all my calls without the phone dying in the middle of one.

    Here's a link to the thread I started about Manila 2D for 320x320 screen devices: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html . You can't just start dialing from the home page without bringing up the dialer. There were a couple of pages that didn't play nice on my GSM Treo Pro and you'll need to grab Manila2D Customizer to tweak it & set the browser in the Internet tab. You can get that at: Downloads - manilla2dcustomizer - Google Code .

    Tried iContact, still prefer PocketCM. Resco has one out that's got a lot of features, but too expensive & still too buggy. Sunnysoft has a nice one, if you don't mind that they use a unique color scheme -- also paid.

    One thing you'll want to try is Ebag333's version of RealVGA, from this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...atability.html . The 96dpi setting gives a much cleaner screen & you get more on the screen.

    HTH

    Bill
  6. #6  
    Check the what does your today screen look like thread for info on manilla 2d. Seems to be a working version discussed on first couple of pages.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  7.    #7  
    I tried Manila a few times, each time it disables both the keyboard and the soft buttons, so I can't even get into the dialer at all.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    I tried Manila a few times, each time it disables both the keyboard and the soft buttons, so I can't even get into the dialer at all.
    Unlocked GSM Treo Pro, Manila 2D. I hit the green call button & the dialer comes up. Then I dial. That doesn't work on the Sprint Treo Pro?
  9.    #9  
    Nope, at least not for me. Others may have better luck, but on both devices I've tried, the green button, the soft keys (a HUGE dealbreaker) and the keypad were disabled.
  10. #10  
    I like spb mobile shell
  11.    #11  
    I was running mobile shell 2.1.whatever when i had my original Pro, now I have the old HTC home screen plug-in, other than the weather tab, it's working well enough for me.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Can you watch/view full Youtube videos without restrictions? Not just most popular videos but all?
    yes, you can use the built-in kinoma player

Posting Permissions