Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 800w for work and use Sprint Navigation. Whenever I am in a sprint coverage area I do not have any problems with it.

When I am in the area I work where sprint coverage is very poor and non-existant, I have problems. I get a lock no problem in a roaming area, or set to roaming only. The problem is I start up Sprint Navigation and it runs fine for a couple of minutes and then then it looses GPS, and after that I can't get online, make a call or even turn off the phone in wireless manager. I just do a soft reset to get function back. Don't misunderstand me, the only thing frozen are the radio functions. The programs still respond, can be existed, I can open other programs and stuff just no longer be able to use the phone or gps functions.

Have tried contacting sprint and they just blow it off. I was curious if anyone else had experienced a similar issue. I have searched without resolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1981al View Post
    I have a Treo 800w for work and use Sprint Navigation. Whenever I am in a sprint coverage area I do not have any problems with it.

When I am in the area I work where sprint coverage is very poor and non-existant, I have problems. I get a lock no problem in a roaming area, or set to roaming only. The problem is I start up Sprint Navigation and it runs fine for a couple of minutes and then then it looses GPS, and after that I can't get online, make a call or even turn off the phone in wireless manager. I just do a soft reset to get function back. Don't misunderstand me, the only thing frozen are the radio functions. The programs still respond, can be existed, I can open other programs and stuff just no longer be able to use the phone or gps functions.

Have tried contacting sprint and they just blow it off. I was curious if anyone else had experienced a similar issue. I have searched without resolve.
    Navigation based upon cell carriers will always be limited by their coverage. If you plan to navigate outside of cities and off interstates, you should prefer systems that use GPS and onboard maps. Having moved to an iPhone, the only Treo application that I continue to use is TomTom.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Navigation based upon cell carriers will always be limited by their coverage. If you plan to navigate outside of cities and off interstates, you should prefer systems that use GPS and onboard maps. Having moved to an iPhone, the only Treo application that I continue to use is TomTom.
    To clarify, Sprint coverage is spotty here, but if I put on Roaming Only I have great signal coverage. Even with aGPS I should still be getting GPS signal which I do. My problem is that using the GPS while roaming causes the phone functions to freeze. The signal bars stay the same, can't make calls, can't receive calls, can't make data connections, can't even shutdown the phone in wireless manager. The phone has to be soft reset to regain this functionality. If after the reset I start the GPS again, it will freeze again. The behavior has not been noticed when on "home only" but I have no coverage out here from Sprint. Its not just a lose of GPS signal, it is the radio chip freezing up and not responding.
    The 800 cannot do standalone GPS. You lose Sprint coverage and the 800 is useless. There are 20-30 long throw down intense threads about it. Do a search and free up a few hours of for reading.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    To clarify, Sprint coverage is spotty here, but if I put on Roaming Only I have great signal coverage. Even with aGPS I should still be getting GPS signal which I do. My problem is that using the GPS while roaming causes the phone functions to freeze.
    1. Try this to make the aGPS faster/more compatible while roaming
    2. What PRL do you have right now? The latest is 60651. Roaming is partially determined by the PRL and there may be updates that affect your area. See here about manually updating it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    1. to make the aGPS faster/more compatible while roaming
    2. What PRL do you have right now? The latest is 60651. Roaming is partially determined by the PRL and there may be updates that affect your area. about manually updating it.
    Have tried 1. And updated to 60650 but did not see 60651, will try and locate. I would understand it if it was just loosing GPS signal, but it freezes phone function and requires soft reset, which makes absolutly no sense.
    Have tried 1. And updated to 60650 but did not see 60651, will try and locate. I would understand it if it was just loosing GPS signal, but it freezes phone function and requires soft reset, which makes absolutly no sense.
    ya know, I think it has to do with the fact that Sprint doesn't really (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $have$ data roaming agreements with Verizon/Alltel, etc.

So you can use/get 1x data (which is the same channel as voice) but not EvDO/3g. Something like Sprint Nav would seem to really need 3g to download those maps and would choke/freeze at 1x data speeds. Just a hunch. Still dunno why that'd cause your problems per se, but could be related.

#1 usually does not help acquisition time and can and does cause longer times in several cases. It opens up continual and unnecessary attempts at downloading GPS data which causes a number of problems.

I have two 800w and had the opportunity to test with and without that hack and with the hack times are longer, not shorter.

But Malatesta is right that using telenav while data roaming can cause problems as well. I agree to try with latest PRL,a dn if that doesn't work get one of the installable GPS programs like Garmin which works better in many ways than telnav does anyway.
    It really ticks me off how Sprint dodges this.

Off Sprint's network, results vary, but Sprint Navigation is certain to have issues once off Sprint's network. When outside of Sprint's data coverage you'll need a program like Garmin.

The Treo 800w's GPS won't start unless it has a compatible phone signal, the device does not have true stand along GPS capability. (In my opinion, where Sprint advertising says autonomous and assisted GPS is a lie, because the 800w only has assisted GPS, it can't start without that compatible phone signal.) Make sure you've got the latest PRL, but that won't help everywhere, there are some places the 800w GPS simply can't start for lack of a compatible cell signal. Devices like the Sprint HTC Touch Pro have the ability to work in a stand alone GPS mode. It is suspected that the Sprint Treo Pro, to be released on Sunday, will have stand alone GPS too.

If you were led to feel the 800w had true stand alone GPS and you find it can't do what you need, send me a PM or e-mail me at darnell2009 [put an at symbol right here] hushmail.com. There are ways to get your money back if needed.
  10.    #10  
    Might just have to get our assets manager to put a Treo Pro on the list for the next time he orders phones and pass mine along to someone who doesn't care about GPS. I have my personal ATT-Tilt, and it will work for GPS, I just have to find my card with iGuidance again.

Company did offer me a HTC Touch Pro, but I wanted something with a keypad on the front as its hard for me to check emails and such while on the road without a front keypad. So I got the Treo 800w and it is a good phone, good for data usage, but GPS is not so great. I prefer to not have a $200 AIO GPS in my work truck that I would have to pay for, when I could get it on my PDA if Palm would fix their problems.
    Yes the AT&T Tilt also has true stand alone GPS functionality.

I'd say the odds are good that the Sprint Treo Pro has stand alone GPS functionality, but we're still trying to have people who just purchased the revised Sprint Treo Pro to test properly to be certain.
    What does standalone GPS have to do with anything with Sprint Nav?

If he needs off-network GPS, then he needs a new phone and $100 mapping software.

If he needs it while roaming, the 800w works fine and he STILL needs $100 mapping software as Sprint Nav is not available when roaming.

Getting a new phone won't change that--he just needs Garmin or something.
    My advice. Only use Sprint Nav in Sprint coverage. You are not allowed to roam and use GPS. It is forbidden on the 800. Just ask Palm, they agree.

If you want Palm will refund your money. Darnell gave you some info above.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    My advice. Only use Sprint Nav in Sprint coverage. You are not allowed to roam and use GPS.
    ???

Err...I roam with GPS just fine, thank you.

Using GPS while CDMA roaming IS different than having no CDMA signal--aGPS works fine with the former and not the latter. Either way, Sprint Nav doesn't work for anyone while roaming, regardless of GPS type.

An important distinction not to be conflated.
    Joe1981al, stand alone GPS in the Sprint Treo Pro has been confirmed. It starts officially going on sale Sunday, although some are already able to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Joe1981al, stand alone GPS in the Sprint Treo Pro has been confirmed. It starts officially going on sale Sunday, although some are already able to get it.
    What has this to do with Sprint Nav and roaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ???

Err...I roam with GPS just fine, thank you.

Using GPS while CDMA roaming IS different than having no CDMA signal--aGPS works fine with the former and not the latter. Either way, Sprint Nav doesn't work for anyone while roaming, regardless of GPS type.

An important distinction not to be conflated.

Hence me saying "Use Spint Nav with Sprint coverage." Do I need to quote myself?

Hence me saying "Use Spint Nav with Sprint coverage." Do I need to quote myself?
    It was more or less with the rest of the context...
    You are not allowed to roam and use GPS. It is forbidden on the 800. Just ask Palm, they agree.

If you want Palm will refund your money. Darnell gave you some info above.
    My reading was that this is an 800w limitation--"you are not allowed to roam and use GPS."

That's false. You can roam and use GPS on the 800w.

You can't use Sprint Nav because there is no data roaming--that's a Sprint limitation, just ask them and they'll agree. Separate issue. Has nothing to do with Palm or getting your money back from them. Capiche?

I don't need all that whopping money the 800 fetches back. Besides there is a plethra of them for sale on eBay (5) since the demand is so high.

Plus GPS isn't a problem for me. You see, mine just works. Yeah, data roaming blah, blah, blah. We get it. Mine has a feature called "Standalone" built right in. This is a term 800 users like yourself dream about. I know, I know, you live in a Metro area and this doesn't apply. However go ahead and do a search on here and reread how many people this does affect. So if people choose to demand a refund because of false advertising then it is their right.

Has the OP's question been answered?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/14/2009 at 05:22 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast