Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a Treo 800w through SPRINT. Almost immediately I noticed a problem where intermittently I will pull my phone from the holster and press a button to wake up the phone but it does not wake up.

The odd part is that an incoming call will wake it up and then it is fine for a while.

Sprint replaced the phone and I did a sprint backup/restore. The new phone does it too.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Are there any settings that might cause this?

Being in the holster could a button push be overruning the system?

thanks
    -art-
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    It happens from time to time; there are quite a few threads about it if you search. Some people said the silver buttons at the top will wake it - that only worked for me once. The good news is after I had the phone for a couple of weeks it stopped happening. Hopefully you'll get lucky too...

Wild, huh. Welcome to the 800w and Windows Mobile.
    This is not an issue with all Windows Mobile devices, but I did see it happening when I had an 800w. I'd recommend anyone who got an 800w less than 30 days ago return it and get the Treo Pro that will be for sale by Sprint on this coming Sunday 3/15/2009.

No more need for anyone to have to endure such. The Treo Pro cost $100 more than the 800w on contract, $50 less if considering the non-contract price. But the benefits are worth paying a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ionheavens View Post
    Is anyone else seeing this?

Are there any settings that might cause this?

Being in the holster could a button push be overruning the system?

thanks
    -art-
    Not seeing this but it could be related to things like the Keyguard, programs running in the background (Opera Mobile, etc.), etc.

Would really need a list if apps you have installed, usually running and any "hacks" or tweaks you may have done.

And contra Darnell, this issue can be replicated on many WM CDMA devices e.g. HTC Diamond, which I found in a 30 second search:
    Quote Originally Posted by ecco View Post
    My phone seems to freeze for some reason. Sometimes (maybe once a day) I can press the power button to wake it up and it won't wake up. I can press and hold it several times and nothing happens. I have to remove to battery to make it start up again. I usually keep it in my pocket. Any ideas?

Alltel has already replaced the phone and battery as I just got it. Now I'm wondering if it's just that some buttons are getting pressed in my pocket or something.
    sounds eerily familiar, eh? Or the ppc-6800, etc:
    Hi guys not sure whats wrong with my baby but when it gos into standby mode it wont wake back up the green light is flashing but the screen and the keyboard are not lit up. If I push the power button the screen gos blank and will not wake up.

I have to un tick (turn off device if not used) so it will not go into standby mode. But chews da battery.

I did try to update the rom but didnt seem to work any help is much appreciated
    Edit: Also make sure you don't have programs installed to the microSD card or maybe even pop out the card for awhile and see if it matters (assuming you have one).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/11/2009 at 10:25 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I and plenty of others found the device lock ups to be far more common on the 800w.

I went through 2 800ws, some others have gone through 3 or more 800ws and found the same. It's not as common a thing in some other WM devices.

Anybody who got an 800w in the last 30 days, do yourself a favor and take it back for a Treo Pro, to be released by Sprint on Sunday.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Im starting to get this issue and I have had my 800W since it first came out. I use GALARM and this morning it didnt go off and the unit was frozen until I remove the battery and removed the power charger...
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I and plenty of others found the device lock ups to be far more common on the 800w.
    No, you have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No, you have not.
    Yes I have.
    No, you have not.
    Uh, Mal -- are you sitting on his shoulder 24/7?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yes I have.
    A simple, cursory search at ppcgeeks (or any WM site) would give you a broad range of extremely similar complaints across many devices: Touch, more Touch, Mogul, more Mogul, more Mogul, more Mogul, more Mogul more Touch, Diamond, more Diamond, more Diamond, Touch Pro (when charging--very common), more Touch Pro, etc. Even the ol' 6700 had this problem.

These (valid) complaints about WinMo are as old as the internets. There is no evidence that the 800w is any more or less prone than other WM devices, regardless of "personal" experience.

Back to the Op, the best that can be done is to trouble shoot the problem like in post #4. Getting a different phone is not necessarily a solution--but perhaps a replacement, if not software related, is.

Edit: An old folkore is that turning off "Today Timeout" under Settings --> Today --> Items helps people. It certainly can't hurt to try, though I find the reasoning specious.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/12/2009 at 01:23 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Reviewers of devices don't always speak of every WM device in terms like "much-maligned" and "plagued by problems". But too many to ignore have used such language in regards to the 800w. So my personal experiences are not those of an outlier.

I can search any products forums, from cars and dishwashers to watches and find somebody who had one that failed. But some devices get a number of reviews that is not necessarily as stellar as the rest of the pack.

So I have and others have more so than some other products.
    darnell, what has any of that to do with trying to solve the OPs problem?

We all know you don't like nor have a 800w anymore. Enough already. This is about helping the OP (and putting it into context) not your dislike of the 800w.
    Thanks guys.
    Just call me Berd.
    Ah, the 800 wake up's or not waking up.

I've had 3 800's so I can attest for some serious weird backlight issues.

On my first, or third, could've been my second, anyway, one of them would wake up in the middle of the night. It would light up my room. I figured there was a call coming in so I would pick it up "Hello, Hello?" Nothing, it was just the phone lighting up on its own. This happened all the time.

Then there were the times I would get calls or texts and nothing. No warning, no light, nothing. Like an ***** I would shake the damn thing like a paint spray can. "What is wrong with you! Why can't you work like a normal phone!!!!!" It would never answer me thank God but those friggin 800's would make me mental.

So I have a Touch Pro. No issues, works as it needs to without shaking it or yelling at it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    When my 800w don't wake up, its because its trying to get signal wherever I am. No concerns about this here.
    darnell, what has any of that to do with trying to solve the OPs problem?

We all know you don't like nor have a 800w anymore. Enough already. This is about helping the OP (and putting it into context) not your dislike of the 800w.
    Yes, that is the goal, to help the OP. And the view of the term "help" differs depending on the individual.

Given the OP said they "recently" purchased the 800w, I suggested the Treo Pro because being a superior device it has proven to "help" a lot of people who had issues with the 800w. I also believe this is why Sprint designated the Treo Pro as the replacement for the 800w. The Treo Pro forum is now filling with posts in that regard. Regardless whatever issue they have with the Treo Pro, they're saying it's better than the 800w. So I have no problem offering "help" in suggesting a better device. Especially if it's possibly within the 30 day time frame for them to decide before being locked with an 800w.

The thrust of my initial response to the OP was to consider another option in the forum of another device, which many have found to have less issues. Perhaps the OP wanted the advice and perhaps not, but many have thanked me when I mention the Treo Pro is going on sale soon. A lot of people don't know. It's not like Sprint is going to tell them wait till the 15th when the 800w's replacement goes on sale.

The only reason there has been a back and forth in this thread (and so many others) is that you decided to call me by name to initiate a back and forth of views. I didn't call you out first Malatesta, you called my name and went after my statements on your own accord.

So you'll help the OP how you want to help and I'll help how I want to help, but if you want to come baiting and attacking me, no that does not help anyone one bit.
    And with that...
    Enough said.

Take all further exchanges via PM.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Ah, the 800 wake up's or not waking up.

I've had 3 800's so I can attest for some serious weird backlight issues.

On my first, or third, could've been my second, anyway, one of them would wake up in the middle of the night. It would light up my room. I figured there was a call coming in so I would pick it up "Hello, Hello?" Nothing, it was just the phone lighting up on its own. This happened all the time.

Then there were the times I would get calls or texts and nothing. No warning, no light, nothing. Like an ***** I would shake the damn thing like a paint spray can. "What is wrong with you! Why can't you work like a normal phone!!!!!" It would never answer me thank God but those friggin 800's would make me mental.

So I have a Touch Pro. No issues, works as it needs to without shaking it or yelling at it.
    Mine does the same thing. It has to be the most crazy-assed phone I've ever owned. The battery drains randomly. Wont charge other times. The key guard will stop working on occasion. The screen with power on randomly. It misses 1 out of 5 calls completely in great service areas. It only vibrates (when switched to vibrate) when it God-damn feels like it. Seriously, I might hire a priest for this phone.

Anyway, it has to hold on long enough until I can evaluate the Pre... and if not that I'll spend double and get an iPhone on AT&T. I'm tired of crazy/****ty WM phones.
    Don't blame all WM phones. Many 800's experience this. My Touch Pro does not have this behavior at all.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Zelet, the (yellow) VibrantRedGT is right. Never had such with my Touch Pro either. (And even if someone had the problem with a Touch Pro, they didn't have it with 4 in a row. I had it with 2 800ws in a row before I gave up on it and refused to see if it would happen with 3.) Does not seem to be a common complaint in the Treo Pro forum either. Other WM devices are proving to be more stable.

Just going one forum up (to Treo Pro land) on this board shows there are WM Treos that run more stable. I also hear down in the Treo 700wx forum things are more stable there too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast